Interview Follow-up Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Interview Follow-up

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:00 pm

Hey all, I have two questions, and I would love any input. Also, sorry this is longer than it probably should be, I'm typing this up at work and a little distracted.

1. I interviewed with a small firm a week and a half ago, and overall it went well...but there was one big thing that came up. I postponed taking the bar until February (graduated in May) because I had a rough year last year (i.e. several close friends died, cancer scare, and a mosh of other shit). I wanted to get my life in order before I sit for the bar. He picked up on this and said he was looking for an attorney now. His optimal situation would be hiring two more attorneys and two law clerks, and he has a full-time clerk (who took the bar in May) and a part-time clerk who is evening division in his last year.

Because of the work the firm does, I would absolutely LOVE it and I want this job bad.

How should I word the follow-up e-mail? Normally? Or, bring up his concerns again? Or, other?

2. One of the people that I used as a reference said something to the effect of "He will be a biglaw caliber attorney, and looking for a small firm." How can I bring this up in future interviews without sounding douchey?

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: Interview Follow-up

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey all, I have two questions, and I would love any input. Also, sorry this is longer than it probably should be, I'm typing this up at work and a little distracted.

1. I interviewed with a small firm a week and a half ago, and overall it went well...but there was one big thing that came up. I postponed taking the bar until February (graduated in May) because I had a rough year last year (i.e. several close friends died, cancer scare, and a mosh of other shit). I wanted to get my life in order before I sit for the bar. He picked up on this and said he was looking for an attorney now. His optimal situation would be hiring two more attorneys and two law clerks, and he has a full-time clerk (who took the bar in May) and a part-time clerk who is evening division in his last year.

Because of the work the firm does, I would absolutely LOVE it and I want this job bad.

How should I word the follow-up e-mail? Normally? Or, bring up his concerns again? Or, other?

2. One of the people that I used as a reference said something to the effect of "He will be a biglaw caliber attorney, and looking for a small firm." How can I bring this up in future interviews without sounding douchey?
You can't. Let your references talk you up like that.

I will let others speak to the first question

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Post by Roy McAvoy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey all, I have two questions, and I would love any input. Also, sorry this is longer than it probably should be, I'm typing this up at work and a little distracted.

He said he's looking for an attorney now, but you won't take the bar until February. That's pretty cut and dry. I don't see how you can address this better now than you could/would have in the interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:45 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:

He said he's looking for an attorney now, but you won't take the bar until February. That's pretty cut and dry. I don't see how you can address this better now than you could/would have in the interview.
OP here - I should've also mentioned that he said something to the effect of: I'll try to work something out

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”