K&E investment funds group Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: K&E investment funds group

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is the typical day, time wise? When do you usually get in and when do you leave? Do a lot do people work from home after a certain time?
I'm the midlevel who posted yesterday. I normally show up a little after 10 and leave around 9. A lot of people work from home if they don't have things they need to be there in person for and nobody seems to care. I often don't go to the office on Fridays. Since a lot of my work is with people in different offices, nobody even notices a lot of the time. There's an app so you can pick up your office line using your cell phone and they also give you the option of getting an actual landline for home and have your desk phone also ring there. As long as you're responsive and productive, you'll probably be fine. With that said, you don't want to be out of the norm for a team you're working with and if everyone else is in the office, you should expect to be there as well.
Anonymous User wrote:
It's not uncommon to see group-wide emails asking about how people have handled situations with specific LPs, which just isn't feasible unless a firm represents hundreds of sponsors.
It is probably better if you didn't go around and admit in writing to violating NDAs. Just sayin'.
I, anonymous TLS user, freely admit that my attorneys at my law firm exchange information for the benefit of our clients. (To be clear though, I've never seen an NDA that would prohibit this and the confi provisions in fund LPAs are inapplicable).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is the typical day, time wise? When do you usually get in and when do you leave? Do a lot do people work from home after a certain time?
I'm the midlevel who posted yesterday. I normally show up a little after 10 and leave around 9. A lot of people work from home if they don't have things they need to be there in person for and nobody seems to care. I often don't go to the office on Fridays. Since a lot of my work is with people in different offices, nobody even notices a lot of the time. There's an app so you can pick up your office line using your cell phone and they also give you the option of getting an actual landline for home and have your desk phone also ring there. As long as you're responsive and productive, you'll probably be fine. With that said, you don't want to be out of the norm for a team you're working with and if everyone else is in the office, you should expect to be there as well.
Anonymous User wrote:
It's not uncommon to see group-wide emails asking about how people have handled situations with specific LPs, which just isn't feasible unless a firm represents hundreds of sponsors.
It is probably better if you didn't go around and admit in writing to violating NDAs. Just sayin'.
I, anonymous TLS user, freely admit that my attorneys at my law firm exchange information for the benefit of our clients. (To be clear though, I've never seen an NDA that would prohibit this and the confi provisions in fund LPAs are inapplicable).
Different anon following up with another question for you-- do you have any feel for the lifestyle of exits ops from a group like yours? Specifically going in-house at a fund. Of course it varies, but do you think, on average, it's a clearly better work/life balance than biglaw? Any light you can shed on this is appreciated!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm the midlevel who posted yesterday. I normally show up a little after 10 and leave around 9. A lot of people work from home if they don't have things they need to be there in person for and nobody seems to care. I often don't go to the office on Fridays. Since a lot of my work is with people in different offices, nobody even notices a lot of the time. There's an app so you can pick up your office line using your cell phone and they also give you the option of getting an actual landline for home and have your desk phone also ring there. As long as you're responsive and productive, you'll probably be fine. With that said, you don't want to be out of the norm for a team you're working with and if everyone else is in the office, you should expect to be there as well.
I didn't know this option existed until just now. They should really mention it in lateral orientation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Different anon following up with another question for you-- do you have any feel for the lifestyle of exits ops from a group like yours? Specifically going in-house at a fund. Of course it varies, but do you think, on average, it's a clearly better work/life balance than biglaw? Any light you can shed on this is appreciated!
Really hard to generalize because I'm not in house, but it seems like my in-house counterparts generally leave earlier than me and don't respond to emails on weekends. I can tell you that the number of recruiting calls and emails for fund opportunities is higher at K&E than at my former firm, as is the apparent quality of the opportunities. As with many of my other comments, I think much of this is driven by the fact that right at the time I moved firms, I hit the level of seniority where people start to be valuable in house and it's hard to separate out what was caused by the move and what was caused by the class year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”