Relocation reimbursement Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Relocation reimbursement

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:19 am

Moving from one city to another as a lateral. Is it odd that the V10 firm that I'm joining won't reimburse the moving expenses?

Anonymous User

Re: Relocation reimbursement

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 18, 2018 2:08 pm

Bump - also curious about this. Currently trying to lateral from NYC to Chicago biglaw, and curious if this should be part of the negotiation? Or is it unrealistic.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 18, 2018 2:27 pm

My co-clerk went to a new market after clerking and moving expenses were not covered. It seems that not paying is not the norm, but it does happen.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 18, 2018 3:08 pm

in my v10, it's not even reimbursement as the firm just takes care of the bill. op what kinda v10 are you talking about i need to stay away from that v10.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 18, 2018 3:27 pm

That seems a little odd. When I moved, I received $7500 in moving expenses and I’m not even at a market-paying firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 18, 2018 4:55 pm

I lateraled recently and it was a fight to get relocation expenses - I eventually got two one-way economy class plane tickets, and the move paid for with no cap, but nothing else (eg, no broker's fee, no scouting trip, no costs of lease breakage/selling your home, etc). I was told at the time by my recruiter that firms are generally pretty stingy when it comes to relocation for lateral hires, and even getting uncapped moving expenses was pretty rare and quite generous.

If you have a recruiter this is where they can come in handy, because you can let them push for it (on the basis that it's market) without seeming like the bad guy.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Fri May 18, 2018 5:00 pm

Yeah it's unusual for a V10 to not pay for this

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Post by eastcoast_iub » Fri May 18, 2018 5:19 pm

Echoing prior posters, this is unusual. Standard reimbursement for moving expenses is $5,000 to my knowledge, although the relocation package I got from lateraling to my V10 was absurdly in excess of that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”