Hiring finished? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Hiring finished?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:01 pm

At this point I believe I have struck out. I have been mass mailing and networking.

But now it's early September, I assume most big firms have completed their recruiting process. One firm told me explicitly that they already finished hiring.

For those who have struck out before, when did you get your first offer? Is it true that they have already finished hiring?

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Re: Hiring finished?

Post by Vincent Adultman » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:28 pm

Some firms have finished, others haven't. This shouldn't change your behavior. You should keep mass mailing and applying.

habeas2210

Bronze

Post by habeas2210 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At this point I believe I have struck out. I have been mass mailing and networking.

But now it's early September, I assume most big firms have completed their recruiting process. One firm told me explicitly that they already finished hiring.

For those who have struck out before, when did you get your first offer? Is it true that they have already finished hiring?
Wouldn't give up. Had friends get offers in late October/early November.

habeas2210

Bronze

Post by habeas2210 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:27 pm

-deleted-

accidental double post.
Last edited by habeas2210 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:37 pm

My firm (NYC V20) is still hiring. Keep mass mailing. I got my summer offer in the first week of October.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bellepepper

New

Post by bellepepper » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:56 pm

When you say mass mailing, who do you email, partners, the recruiters?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:59 pm

bellepepper wrote:When you say mass mailing, who do you email, partners, the recruiters?
Email recruiting contacts unless you have a prior relationship or connection with others at the firm. If you know associates or partners at the firm, use them as leverage to get your resume on the top of the pile, but otherwise all of your correspondence should be through recruiters managing their hiring process.

bellepepper

New

Post by bellepepper » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:12 pm

Thank you so much for the reply, at my campus USC OCI came and went and I didn't get an offer. Now I'm not really sure what to do, my gpa is 3.3 :(

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:14 pm

You're not in a bad spot per se, but if you didn't get anything from OCI, you need to be sending off your resume and cover letter to every firm in every market you'd want to work until you get a bite. It's a dynamic process, and it involves you as the applicant being dynamic. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:52 am

Got an offer today from a large NYC firm I did a CB with about a month ago. Shortly after, I got a screener invite from another firm in NYC that I applied to last week. Hiring is still very much going on, despite what it may seem like.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:03 am

Would the above anon mind posting stats? I similarly just massmailed NYC a few weeks ago and no bites =[.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:14 am

Got an offer this week from a nyc CB I did a long time ago and got a screener via mass mail this week. Hiring process is definitely still going on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Would the above anon mind posting stats? I similarly just massmailed NYC a few weeks ago and no bites =[.
3.26 at MVP, a couple years of unrelated work experience

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:27 pm

FYI, DLA Piper Chicago is still looking for summers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:29 pm

I completely struck out. I have had two callbacks and have another screener and a callback scheduled from MM and networking. This has all happened in September. Keep going.

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:42 pm

Purely anecdotal, but I know of someone who got a biglaw offer in March after striking out at OCI. Keep massmailing. Good luck all.

bvuona615

New

Post by bvuona615 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:19 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:My firm (NYC V20) is still hiring. Keep mass mailing. I got my summer offer in the first week of October.
Would you mind sharing the name of the firm? Or private messaging. I have been mass mailing but I would like to target to firms that are actually looking.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I completely struck out. I have had two callbacks and have another screener and a callback scheduled from MM and networking. This has all happened in September. Keep going.
Is that this year? Or last? I heard from my career services office that firms are doing less post-OCI hiring this year than in past years because of an increase in pre-OCI hiring... they might also just want me to leave them alone...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:12 am

Got my SA last year from persistent MM'ing. Offer came in October. Keep fighting

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:06 pm

Okay so I’m in need of serious help. In July/August I mass mailed my two desired markets (both small markets) and got no bites, did some follow up over the last couple weeks and got a lot of rejection emails. I didn’t think to apply broadly and now I have struck at OCI. Does anyone have any input on what firms are still hiring? At this point I don’t care about market, I just want to target my mass mailing to firms where there’s still a chance. Anything helps.

If it helps any, here’s my stats:

TTT transfer to T25
GPA: 3.3x (top 15%)
URM

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:43 pm

Firms are still hiring. My firm (V90) doesn't even stop until at least the end of October. Some people are still weighing their options from OCI and will begin to accept or reject pretty soon. You may be further down the offer list.Firms don't usually stop until they have exhausted all their options.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I completely struck out. I have had two callbacks and have another screener and a callback scheduled from MM and networking. This has all happened in September. Keep going.
Is that this year? Or last? I heard from my career services office that firms are doing less post-OCI hiring this year than in past years because of an increase in pre-OCI hiring... they might also just want me to leave them alone...

This year. Literally right now. About to do another screener. KEEP. MAILING.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:35 pm

if the firms are still posting on symplicity, does that suggest that they are still hiring? also does anyone know if the mid-size law firms are still accepting applications?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:if the firms are still posting on symplicity, does that suggest that they are still hiring? also does anyone know if the mid-size law firms are still accepting applications?
Yes they are and not just midlaw is hiring. Big law still is. Keep mailing.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:55 pm

I had a friend who got a big law offer the day we took the bar exam in July

Keep grinding

I didn't read this thread so not sure if it's been TLSed into some tangent yet or not so apologies

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”