When is optimal time to search/apply for JD advantage jobs? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anonanonny

New

When is optimal time to search/apply for JD advantage jobs?

Post by anonanonny » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:46 pm

3L here. I've been looking for JD advantage jobs for May 2018, but I'm thinking that most JD advantage job openings won't become available this far in advance? Anyone have any experience with this? Of course, I'll keep looking until graduation, but I wanted to see if anyone had insight on the timing of finding these jobs.

Pokemon

Gold

Re: When is optimal time to search/apply for JD advantage jobs?

Post by Pokemon » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:17 am

Not sure how much sense this makes. If you have no job or really want a jd advantages job you should always be searching and applying. There is no season and even if there was, you do not just stop searching.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:01 am

anonanonny wrote:3L here. I've been looking for JD advantage jobs for May 2018, but I'm thinking that most JD advantage job openings won't become available this far in advance? Anyone have any experience with this? Of course, I'll keep looking until graduation, but I wanted to see if anyone had insight on the timing of finding these jobs.

From personal experience, organizations don't want to interview you until you are out of school and can start working FT. I was applying to VCs / compliance jobs / etc during my 3L year and I never got passed the phone interview because most orgs don't have the infrastructure to hire a candidate many months out.

Big Lawl / Big 4 hiring is different.

Fwiw, I'm a licensed attorney working as an IT consultant- most of my clients are large law / consulting firms.

anonanonny

New

Post by anonanonny » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:52 am

Pokemon wrote:Not sure how much sense this makes. If you have no job or really want a jd advantages job you should always be searching and applying. There is no season and even if there was, you do not just stop searching.
I never suggested or meant to suggest that I won't be constantly looking. Just wanted to see if anyone had any extra input/nuggets of hope about finding one of these jobs.

anonanonny

New

Post by anonanonny » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
anonanonny wrote:3L here. I've been looking for JD advantage jobs for May 2018, but I'm thinking that most JD advantage job openings won't become available this far in advance? Anyone have any experience with this? Of course, I'll keep looking until graduation, but I wanted to see if anyone had insight on the timing of finding these jobs.

From personal experience, organizations don't want to interview you until you are out of school and can start working FT. I was applying to VCs / compliance jobs / etc during my 3L year and I never got passed the phone interview because most orgs don't have the infrastructure to hire a candidate many months out.

Big Lawl / Big 4 hiring is different.

Fwiw, I'm a licensed attorney working as an IT consultant- most of my clients are large law / consulting firms.
Thanks for your input. Kind of a bummer that it doesn't seem possible to find one at any point during 3L.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”