Same day callback rejection? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Same day callback rejection?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:35 pm

Has anyone else ever received a same-day rejection after a callback interview? I just got one and I am very confused. I thought the interviews went fine. I have had a number of callbacks, and went to a post-OCI dinner with the firm before receiving a callback, so I can't be that bad of an interviewer. V10 satellite office.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Same day callback rejection?

Post by UVA2B » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:36 pm

They moved quickly for one reason or another. Since it's a satellite office, is it also a small class? They might have already found an ideal candidate, but interviewed you to see if you could top that candidate, but you didn't. Don't let it get to you. Too often law students take offense to being rejected or wonder what they did wrong. Sometimes there was just someone better. Move on from it and accept that you weren't the best fit for the firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:01 pm

UVA2B wrote:They moved quickly for one reason or another. Since it's a satellite office, is it also a small class? They might have already found an ideal candidate, but interviewed you to see if you could top that candidate, but you didn't. Don't let it get to you. Too often law students take offense to being rejected or wonder what they did wrong. Sometimes there was just someone better. Move on from it and accept that you weren't the best fit for the firm.
Actually a fairly large class (20+), and I've never heard of anyone getting a rejection so quickly. Thank you for your advice.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
UVA2B wrote:They moved quickly for one reason or another. Since it's a satellite office, is it also a small class? They might have already found an ideal candidate, but interviewed you to see if you could top that candidate, but you didn't. Don't let it get to you. Too often law students take offense to being rejected or wonder what they did wrong. Sometimes there was just someone better. Move on from it and accept that you weren't the best fit for the firm.
Actually a fairly large class (20+), and I've never heard of anyone getting a rejection so quickly. Thank you for your advice.
I know it sucks, and it's natural to parse whether you did something wrong. Maybe you did, but I doubt it if you didn't say anything wildly inappropriate or try to sell yourself in a practice area that the satellite office doesn't do and the firm isn't strong in.

Keep pushing through the interview/hiring season until you have the offer you want in hand. Do more mock interviews if you're worried about your interviewing style, and run your answers to specific questions you think might have gone poorly in that interview to see if you've made any missteps. And continue carrying yourself with confidence in every interview you do in the near future.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:43 pm

I wouldn't read too much into the timing. At my firm, the recruiting committee meets once per week, always on the same day. How quickly you get a response completely depends on what day of the week you interview on. If you happen to have an early interview the same day the committee meets and everyone submits their evaluations right after the interview, then you might hear back the same day. Obviously rejections never feel good, but a same day rejection doesn't mean it went unusually bad or anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:50 pm

Yup, almost certainly just a function of when the committee met. It was that same day in your case. I'm sure it felt shitty but don't take it personally.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:57 am

Yeah, the timing is almost certainly a function of how the firm makes decisions rather than anything you did. The alternative is that they accelerated their process just to reject you a little earlier than they otherwise would have, which doesn't make sense.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:43 pm

Fried Frank DC did that to me last year. I thought it was a dick move since I was still at the hotel they put me up in. I ordered a large dinner and billed it to the firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”