Lowest you'll accept for this position? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Lowest salary you would accept under these circumstances

50k or less
2%
2%
6%
2%
2%
9%
6%
13%
4%
140k+
53%

Total votes: 47

Anonymous User

Lowest you'll accept for this position?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:11 am

T14 grad, 1 year experience in corporate at firm (non-biglaw; small/midsize firm)

Recently laid-off due to non-performance reasons. Decent interviewer. Money is not a factor for the foreseeable future (assume parents will help out with rent).

Peer sized, primary market (non-NYC) firm with target of 2000 billables.

malibustacy

Bronze

Re: Lowest you'll accept for this position?

Post by malibustacy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:19 am

Any best offer on the table of course. We don't know the circumstances of your situation, but it seems that it's not entirely the best one to be in as a young attorney.

Vexed

Bronze

Post by Vexed » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:48 am

If I'm paying COL in a biglaw market and working with a biglaw billable hour target, I'd want the closest thing to biglaw pay, which is apparently 140k in this poll.

That being said, if money isn't a factor I wouldn't even set a floor - I'd be looking for the chillest possible job.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:11 am

Vexed wrote:If I'm paying COL in a biglaw market and working with a biglaw billable hour target, I'd want the closest thing to biglaw pay, which is apparently 140k in this poll.

That being said, if money isn't a factor I wouldn't even set a floor - I'd be looking for the chillest possible job.
Seconded. 2000 is nothing to sneeze at - it is absolutely BigLaw-range billables (and would correspond to BigLaw-range hours). That said, pay at smaller firms is often significantly less - it's not "fair," but that's just how the market is. Not sure what you're really looking for here: Do you want TLS' blessing to take a lower-paying job since finances are less of an issue/not an issue for you? Do you want to hear that QOL will be substantially better at this firm compared to BigLaw (hint: it probably won't be, given the billable target)? Or do you want us to tell you to go BigLaw or bust?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:10 am

To give you a data point here - I recently moved from a midsize firm to a corporate & IP boutique. Billable target is 1750. I'm bringing in $140k + 20% of any business I originate. I'd shoot for at least 140 if you're in a primary market.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:15 am

An attorney laid off in their first year is in a vulnerable place, so you kind of have to be open to a wide range of salary outcomes. That said, 2000 billable hours is not fun, and anything less than six figures for that would be hard for me to stomach.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”