Interviewer called and promised a callback, dinged by email 2 weeks later. :/ Any hope? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Interviewer called and promised a callback, dinged by email 2 weeks later. :/ Any hope?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:37 pm

After a screener at a career fair, my interviewer called and told me to "expect a callback in a few days." I waited for a week and then called recruiting contact several times and sent a voicemail and email. I got no response whatsoever. And today I received a generic email ding.

What could have gone wrong?

The interviewer works in NY, and was apparently impressed enough to promise a callback despite me indicating that I prefer CA over NY. Maybe his recommendation doesn't carry enough weight in the CA offices?

What's should I do now? Call recruiters? Email the interviewer?

Anonymous User

Re: Interviewer called and promised a callback, dinged by email 2 weeks later. :/ Any hope?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:57 pm

I'd call it quits, honestly. I think most of us here on TLS have had stories of really clicking with a screener, only to receive a pre-CB ding. I experienced this with both Proskauer and Wilmer, where my screeners didn't quite promise me a CB outright but effectively implied a CB was a done deal. And then, pre-CB dings at both. Likely the screener really liked you but for whatever reason the committee didn't - could be grades, could be your office preference, could be there were simply too many candidates in front of you.

Anonymous User

Re: Interviewer called and promised a callback, dinged by email 2 weeks later. :/ Any hope?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd call it quits, honestly. I think most of us here on TLS have had stories of really clicking with a screener, only to receive a pre-CB ding. I experienced this with both Proskauer and Wilmer, where my screeners didn't quite promise me a CB outright but effectively implied a CB was a done deal. And then, pre-CB dings at both. Likely the screener really liked you but for whatever reason the committee didn't - could be grades, could be your office preference, could be there were simply too many candidates in front of you.
Yeah... same thing happened to me with Sidley and Latham. I think my grades were borderline so as much as the interviewers liked me it wasn't enough to secure the CB.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:04 pm

Same thing happened to me with Norton Rose. Was invited to a post-screener dinner with an interviewer from another office and callbacks were mentioned as if it was guaranteed. Here we are a month later and nothing.

Just gotta take the L and move on.

TooMuchTuna

Silver

Post by TooMuchTuna » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:After a screener at a career fair, my interviewer called and told me to "expect a callback in a few days." I waited for a week and then called recruiting contact several times and sent a voicemail and email. I got no response whatsoever. And today I received a generic email ding.

The interviewer works in NY, and was apparently impressed enough to promise a callback despite me indicating that I prefer CA over NY. Maybe his recommendation doesn't carry enough weight in the CA offices?

Going forward I would be a little bit less aggressive when contacting the recruiting contact. Call and leave a voicemail. Maybe send an email following up several days later if they don't return your voicemail. But I wouldn't pester the person. If they were interested, it's not like they'd forget to reach back out to you to schedule a callback.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:After a screener at a career fair, my interviewer called and told me to "expect a callback in a few days." I waited for a week and then called recruiting contact several times and sent a voicemail and email. I got no response whatsoever. And today I received a generic email ding.

call and email them for what exactly? An interviewer cannot promise anything, including offers. They still have to go through higher ups and committees. Sucks that they made a promise like that but don't make it more worse for yourself than it already is... just keep applying to other firms. And for the record, continuously bombarding recruiting, prematurely at that for no real reason, does get talked about and will get you dinged. Seen it happen before.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

call and email them for what exactly? An interviewer cannot promise anything, including offers. They still have to go through higher ups and committees. Sucks that they made a promise like that but don't make it more worse for yourself than it already is... just keep applying to other firms. And for the record, continuously bombarding recruiting, prematurely at that for no real reason, does get talked about and will get you dinged. Seen it happen before.
Yep, next time be less aggressive. After a week, if not even more, an email following up with your interviewer would've been more than enough. Your calls and emails if they didn't get you dinged, certainly did nothing to help

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:46 pm

No interviewer can guarantee a CB; they all have to submit things to committees that will decide whether you get the CB or not. Also it's generally bad form to pester people repeatedly to ask when you're going to get your CB; for sure you can follow up a few times (like once a week, max) to get the status of your application/can follow up more urgently if you have an offer on the table and need a response ASAP, but calling "several times," sending an email, and leaving a VM in the span of two weeks isn't great. This isn't to say this was the reason you got dinged (probably not, and it's impossible for us to know why), but just for future reference.

Don't email the interviewer asking what happened; they may not know what happened.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:03 pm

Unfortunately interviewers say a lot of things that can be misleading; you should always assume you don't have an offer until you have an actual offer, regardless of how positive the interviewer is.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:05 pm

This same thing happened to me with Fitzpatrick where the screener guaranteed a CB and got a pre-CB ding. The ding even mentioned that the screener was highly impressed with me. However, I would disagree that interviewers can't guarantee CB. I have had two screeners during the OCI where the interviewer offered me CB on spot and confirmed by an email on the same day.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:21 pm

Received dinner invite from a firm at a career fair. Got a ding 2 weeks later without CB.

Sigh*

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This same thing happened to me with Fitzpatrick where the screener guaranteed a CB and got a pre-CB ding. The ding even mentioned that the screener was highly impressed with me.
Exact same thing happened to me with STB, right down to the ding saying the screener was highly impressed with me.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:13 am

"We were very impressed with your credentials, but unfortunately we have to make tough decisions" blah blah whatever is standard boilerplate ding talk. Doesn't mean anything.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”