I'm a 3L and I wish I could drop out Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

I'm a 3L and I wish I could drop out

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:15 pm

I wanted to go to law school since high school (for some reason). I attend a Top 30 school, I have unimpressive grades (Top 40%), and I'm set up with a job after graduation that pays like crap in an area that I don't like (it was my summer firm). The good news is that I have a full tuition scholarship so I've only taken out a minimal amount of loans to cover living expenses. I have ZERO motivation to attend classes, do the readings, and generally go through the motions of law school. I've come to realize that I am not meant to be an attorney. By that I mean that I don't see myself enjoying the practice of law and being happy doing it. I seem to be one of the only ones in my class who hated their summer job. Everyone else is thrilled to have offers, and I couldn't help but feel bummed about my shitty offer. Going into law school I never imagined going into litigation or being in court at all (admittedly I had no real sense of direction)--I generally dislike public speaking and being confrontational. The firm I'm set to work at now is a litigation firm focusing on shitlaw. Unfortunately, I didn't end up with many options for 2L summer except where I ended up. I have no motivation to do well 3L year because I think in the end I'll be miserable as an attorney.

Long story short I think that it's going to be difficult for me to find a JD Advantage job or any sort of attorney position that I wouldn't despise. Is my law degree going to keep me from successfully finding a job outside of practicing law? In times like these I wish I could drop out so that I don't even have to explain why I don't want to practice law. At least if I dropped out it would show I don't want to practice and that I won't leave as soon as an attorney position turns up. Of course, I would still have to explain why I dropped out... I know the most logical thing is to finish but damn it feels tough right now.

Sorry for this long post... I'm not sure what I'm hoping to hear. Anyone else ever feel this way? Feeling pretty lost...

Anonymous User

Re: I'm a 3L and I wish I could drop out

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I wanted to go to law school since high school (for some reason). I attend a Top 30 school, I have unimpressive grades (Top 40%), and I'm set up with a job after graduation that pays like crap in an area that I don't like (it was my summer firm). The good news is that I have a full tuition scholarship so I've only taken out a minimal amount of loans to cover living expenses. I have ZERO motivation to attend classes, do the readings, and generally go through the motions of law school. I've come to realize that I am not meant to be an attorney. By that I mean that I don't see myself enjoying the practice of law and being happy doing it. I seem to be one of the only ones in my class who hated their summer job. Everyone else is thrilled to have offers, and I couldn't help but feel bummed about my shitty offer. Going into law school I never imagined going into litigation or being in court at all (admittedly I had no real sense of direction)--I generally dislike public speaking and being confrontational. The firm I'm set to work at now is a litigation firm focusing on shitlaw. Unfortunately, I didn't end up with many options for 2L summer except where I ended up. I have no motivation to do well 3L year because I think in the end I'll be miserable as an attorney.

Long story short I think that it's going to be difficult for me to find a JD Advantage job or any sort of attorney position that I wouldn't despise. Is my law degree going to keep me from successfully finding a job outside of practicing law? In times like these I wish I could drop out so that I don't even have to explain why I don't want to practice law. At least if I dropped out it would show I don't want to practice and that I won't leave as soon as an attorney position turns up. Of course, I would still have to explain why I dropped out... I know the most logical thing is to finish but damn it feels tough right now.

Sorry for this long post... I'm not sure what I'm hoping to hear. Anyone else ever feel this way? Feeling pretty lost...
This probably isn't that helpful, but I was in biglaw litigation and absolutely hated my summer as well. I really liked what I did in my 1L summer (government), so I'm not feeling lost, but i guess it might help to hear that private practice isn't for everyone. I'm not sure what you might like instead, but not wanting to litigate doesn't necessarily mean that law school is a waste. Above median at a T30 is not the end of the world, and there is still time.

To actually answer your question, if you drop out, the gap on your resume will raise eyebrows when you are looking for other jobs. it will be easier to explain not wanting to be a practicing attorney than it will to explain dropping out after 2 full years.

NYCounsel

New

Post by NYCounsel » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've come to realize that I am not meant to be an attorney.

Is my law degree going to keep me from successfully finding a job outside of practicing law?
With a question like this, maybe you're right. :o

In all seriousness, you ended well by remarking you know what's the logical thing to do. See above poster's comment, specifically.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:18 am

OP I am a bit concerned about the part where you said "I have ZERO motivation to attend classes, do the readings, and generally go through the motions of law school." I have been there and it turned out to be depression so I had to take medicine for a long time. Best of luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:36 am

Well, at least you have a job.

(*Speaking from someone who just struck out from OCI)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP I am a bit concerned about the part where you said "I have ZERO motivation to attend classes, do the readings, and generally go through the motions of law school." I have been there and it turned out to be depression so I had to take medicine for a long time. Best of luck.
I have also been there. Do ask a professional and check if it's depression.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP I am a bit concerned about the part where you said "I have ZERO motivation to attend classes, do the readings, and generally go through the motions of law school." I have been there and it turned out to be depression so I had to take medicine for a long time. Best of luck.
I genuinely appreciate both of these responses. I think it is absolutely worth seeking professional help. I've noticed a huge drop from my level of happiness pre-law school and post-starting law school. It's been hard for me since 1L year to make myself want to do much of anything (even things I used to enjoy). I'm going to look into getting professional help with this. Thanks again everyone!

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:01 pm

You're pretty fortunate to have a job after graduation and without any (or little debt). Finish school, take the bar, and try full-time attorneying for a little. Practicing law is way different than law school or your summer internships. If you don't like it, look for employment elsewhere.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:13 pm

1styearlateral wrote:You're pretty fortunate to have a job after graduation and without any (or little debt). Finish school, take the bar, and try full-time attorneying for a little. Practicing law is way different than law school or your summer internships. If you don't like it, look for employment elsewhere.
I appreciate the advice! It's certainly the most practical thing I can do at this point. I'm hoping I end up pleasantly surprised loving working as an attorney.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well, at least you have a job.

(*Speaking from someone who just struck out from OCI)
I apologize for whining about having a position--even if it's an undesirable one. I can understand how that could be obnoxious. if you are still in a position where you are looking, I wish you luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I wanted to go to law school since high school (for some reason). I attend a Top 30 school, I have unimpressive grades (Top 40%), and I'm set up with a job after graduation that pays like crap in an area that I don't like (it was my summer firm). The good news is that I have a full tuition scholarship so I've only taken out a minimal amount of loans to cover living expenses. I have ZERO motivation to attend classes, do the readings, and generally go through the motions of law school. I've come to realize that I am not meant to be an attorney. By that I mean that I don't see myself enjoying the practice of law and being happy doing it. I seem to be one of the only ones in my class who hated their summer job. Everyone else is thrilled to have offers, and I couldn't help but feel bummed about my shitty offer. Going into law school I never imagined going into litigation or being in court at all (admittedly I had no real sense of direction)--I generally dislike public speaking and being confrontational. The firm I'm set to work at now is a litigation firm focusing on shitlaw. Unfortunately, I didn't end up with many options for 2L summer except where I ended up. I have no motivation to do well 3L year because I think in the end I'll be miserable as an attorney.

This probably isn't that helpful, but I was in biglaw litigation and absolutely hated my summer as well. I really liked what I did in my 1L summer (government), so I'm not feeling lost, but i guess it might help to hear that private practice isn't for everyone. I'm not sure what you might like instead, but not wanting to litigate doesn't necessarily mean that law school is a waste. Above median at a T30 is not the end of the world, and there is still time.

To actually answer your question, if you drop out, the gap on your resume will raise eyebrows when you are looking for other jobs. it will be easier to explain not wanting to be a practicing attorney than it will to explain dropping out after 2 full years.
This is promising, thank you! I would be interested in government positions although I'm having a hard time finding openings. Fingers crossed!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I genuinely appreciate both of these responses. I think it is absolutely worth seeking professional help. I've noticed a huge drop from my level of happiness pre-law school and post-starting law school. It's been hard for me since 1L year to make myself want to do much of anything (even things I used to enjoy). I'm going to look into getting professional help with this. Thanks again everyone!
Funnily enough during law school I also found out I was suffering from depression. Fortunately the larger university my law school was a part of offered free therapy sessions (10 weeks) which I decided to take. My therapist did recommend that I seek further counseling after the free sessions were over, but I didn't have any money at the time. But knowing about it and talking through it helped immensely. I always planned on seeking more help after I started working and making money, but I noticed that I was feeling better during the middle of 3L and after I started practicing. It's really scary stuff though. As for dropping out, as others have said, practice is different from internships and law school. I'd stick it out and see how it goes. I was planning on quitting during 2L with the full support of my family, but I decided to stick it out. I'm very very glad I did because I'm actually pretty happy now. But if you are actually 100% sure you know what practice is going to look like, and you have some idea of a backup plan, it's really not a bad idea and quit now to pursue what makes you happy.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:26 pm

apply to govt jobs non stop. a lot of people i graduated with worked in shitlaw for a few months before cracking relatively kush govt gigs.

big cities have TONS of jd advantage jobs at banks/real estate companies for lots of different things that are heavily regulated/contract based. if you are close to a city with at least 500k people, there should be lots of these jobs. even smaller cities should have some. keep applying to these all the time. consider moving to a big city if you want.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:37 am

Johann wrote:

apply to govt jobs non stop. a lot of people i graduated with worked in shitlaw for a few months before cracking relatively kush govt gigs.

big cities have TONS of jd advantage jobs at banks/real estate companies for lots of different things that are heavily regulated/contract based. if you are close to a city with at least 500k people, there should be lots of these jobs. even smaller cities should have some. keep applying to these all the time. consider moving to a big city if you want.
Great advice, thank you! Do you have any suggestions on how to find these jobs? I've basically just searched the usual job sites and random places I have thought of, but I wonder if there's a better way.

jchiles

Silver

Post by jchiles » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Johann wrote:

Great advice, thank you! Do you have any suggestions on how to find these jobs? I've basically just searched the usual job sites and random places I have thought of, but I wonder if there's a better way.
I'm sure there's a better way but when I was looking for these jobs I looked up every bank, insurance company, real estate developer/management company, health system, and mid-sized company based in my target area and checked their job postings every week or so for compliance or related positions. It helped to make the process a little more systematic than looking randomly and I found a lot of places I would have otherwise overlooked.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”