"foot in the door" for fed gov Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
swtlilsoni

Bronze

"foot in the door" for fed gov

Post by swtlilsoni » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:03 pm

I still don't understand this. I've been told countless times that once you get into a Fed agency, it is easier to transfer around or get positions with other agencies. Easier than it would be for a non-fed employee.

How exactly does this work? I currently work for an agency and I want to take advantage of my "foot being in the door". How do I do this?

The only jobs I am aware of are those posted on USAJobs, but everyone has access to those, even the public. So what special opportunity do I get by being a Fed employee?

WalkingContradiction

New

Re: "foot in the door" for fed gov

Post by WalkingContradiction » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:05 pm

Lots of postings on USA Jobs are only open to current federal employees. You also have your reputation and can get the inside track from people who know/like you and they could tailor the posting to your experience to make sure you get it.

swtlilsoni

Bronze

Post by swtlilsoni » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:08 pm

WalkingContradiction wrote:Lots of postings on USA Jobs are only open to current federal employees. You also have your reputation and can get the inside track from people who know/like you and they could tailor the posting to your experience to make sure you get it.
What do you mean by inside track? How does that work?

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:13 pm

My understanding of this (also a current fed gov employee here) has always just been that you are more likely to get an interview, and selected, if you are currently with another agency. I figured this was for a couple reasons: (1) you presumably will be able to pass the background check pretty easily, (2) your current fed gov job is itself a good credential that helps you stand out, thus separating you from the masses, (3) you presumably are okay with the fed gov culture (i.e., bureaucracy); and (4) if you're in DC, then you're more accessible to most of the postings.

I don't, however, think there is any streamlined application process or anything like that.

WalkingContradiction

New

Post by WalkingContradiction » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:15 pm

swtlilsoni wrote:
WalkingContradiction wrote:Lots of postings on USA Jobs are only open to current federal employees. You also have your reputation and can get the inside track from people who know/like you and they could tailor the posting to your experience to make sure you get it.
What do you mean by inside track? How does that work?
This isn't just a federal government thing, but a general awareness in a workforce thing. If you do well and build a reputation as a good worker and a team player, more senior people will look to you as the one they want to give opportunities to. Why go searching far and wide when a semi-competent and well meaning person you know is right in front of you? Do you have a mentor at the agency? An SES that you have a relationship with? Have you worked with people at other agencies as part of various inter-agency efforts? These are the people who may know what opportunities are available or coming down the pike.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:53 pm

Rowinguy2009 wrote:My understanding of this (also a current fed gov employee here) has always just been that you are more likely to get an interview, and selected, if you are currently with another agency. I figured this was for a couple reasons: (1) you presumably will be able to pass the background check pretty easily, (2) your current fed gov job is itself a good credential that helps you stand out, thus separating you from the masses, (3) you presumably are okay with the fed gov culture (i.e., bureaucracy); and (4) if you're in DC, then you're more accessible to most of the postings.

I don't, however, think there is any streamlined application process or anything like that.
Agree with all this. Especially for lawyers (lawyers are generally "excepted" from the civil service; the hiring process for a traditional civil service position is different any my understanding is that people in the civil service get additional points in the hiring process, but this doesn't formally apply to lawyer positions).

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:45 pm

The federal government is a big place, and things vary from place to place.

I am coming up on 6 years working as a fed (InfoSec) for a specific agency (I had over a dozen years as a fed contractor working for numerous agencies before landing my current job. There are multiple advantages that come into play (although depending on the agency the details may differ), at my current employer there is (I believe an unofficial) policy that a currently employed fed who applies for a position (below the executive rank) and meets the stated requirements (which are usually fairly minimal/basic) will be moved to the interview round.

At times this creates awkward situations where an internal employee being interviewed is far less qualified than the other candidates, but it gives people a shot that they would not otherwise have.

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:46 pm

Does an applicant coming from a federal clerkship get any similar boost?

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:04 am

anon sequitur wrote:Does an applicant coming from a federal clerkship get any similar boost?
I think the whole "foot in the door" saying is largely meant to apply to positions within the Executive Branch, but several of the factors I pointed out would also apply to clerkships.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”