Why do firms call to reject you? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Why do firms call to reject you?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:54 pm

It's literally awful. Why do firms call to tell you they loved you and thought you were great, but no...

Such a tease, and obviously you didn't think I was that great.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Why do firms call to reject you?

Post by UVA2B » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:59 pm

It might hurt, but why not just respect that they're closing the loop? There are people who never heard back from a CB period. In the end, it doesn't matter, even if you don't like it right now.

I personally appreciate getting a rejection in some form. It lets me know it's one less decision and firm to consider. If you don't have an offer yet, it might sting more, but when you nail down the job offer you hopefully get, you're not going to care that a firm called and let you know that you are no longer being considered for a position.

Applying to jobs is awkward, interviewing for jobs is a bit awkward, and handling the ultimate decisions is really awkward. Different firms will handle it differently. It's not really lamentable, because the entire process is a feeling out process on both sides.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's literally awful. Why do firms call to tell you they loved you and thought you were great, but no...

So thankful that (so far) I haven't received any dings by phone. Cannot imagine a more miserable conversation. IRT UVA2B, I think dinging someone is better than just ghosting (which is the worst), but FFS just send email dings, don't go to the trouble of calling!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's literally awful. Why do firms call to tell you they loved you and thought you were great, but no...

So thankful that (so far) I haven't received any dings by phone. Cannot imagine a more miserable conversation. IRT UVA2B, I think dinging someone is better than just ghosting (which is the worst), but FFS just send email dings, don't go to the trouble of calling!
Don't disagree that it's more humane to email. I've literally never heard of someone being phone dinged, but I was responding to the underlying sentiment more than responding to it being a phone call. But even a brief conversation that lets you know you're no longer under consideration is still better than hearing nothing at all. It's a tough phone call to take, but it's not that hard to continue speaking respectfully and amicably, even though it hurt.

BottomOfTotem

New

Post by BottomOfTotem » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:10 pm

I mean, I think the issue is the phone call as the method, and not the practice of relaying the rejection in general. There is a widely followed practice of relaying post screener info: phone call for callback/screener, and email for rejection. Therefor when you get a phone call, you expect the best, but in the case of OP, you get the worst.

Of course life will move on, that isn't questioned. While I understand your sentiment for those who get no resolution, I agree with the OP that it is sort a let down to get a phone call for the rejection. This is a shitty process, and things like this can feel sort of like a twist of the knife.

Edit: see that this was addressed -- I took too long.
Last edited by BottomOfTotem on Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:16 pm

BottomOfTotem wrote:Above UVA poster (sorry I didn't hit the quote bottom),

I mean, I think the issue is the phone call as the method, and not the practice of relaying the rejection in general. There is a widely followed practice of relaying post screener info: phone call for callback/screener, and email for rejection. Therefor when you get a phone call, you expect the best, but in the case of OP, you get the worst.

Of course life will move on, that isn't questioned. While I understand your sentiment for those who get no resolution, I agree with the OP that it is sort a let down to get a phone call for the rejection. This is a shitty process, and things like this can feel sort of like a twist of the knife.
I'm probably beyond my depth here, because I focused on the rejection and not the phone call. I personally wouldn't invest too heavily in having to hear about a rejection by a person vice a short email that extols the strength of my application while rejecting me. It's just a part of this game, and I guess I accept that to a bit of an extreme.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:51 pm

I was phone-dinged by one firm. I guess it was less impersonal, and I had come to chat quite a bit with the recruiting lady, so it wasn't completely insane. Still, it was pretty weird, and I would have preferred an email.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”