PW vs DPW vs Cleary (White Collar/Commercial Lit) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

PW vs DPW vs Cleary (White Collar/Commercial Lit)

Paul, Weiss
34%
Davis Polk
49%
Cleary
17%

Total votes: 35

Anonymous User

PW vs DPW vs Cleary (White Collar/Commercial Lit)

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:18 pm

I also have an offer from Weil but didn't really think I super clicked when interviewing so I am not super considering them but may do a second look anyway as I have been told to be more open-minded.

I came in thinking I wanted Cleary or Paul, Weiss but I really liked everyone I have met from Davis Polk so far and the firm didn't seem that white shoe although I know that's the rep.

I don't really care about international work, which I know Cleary is known for but I have heard good things about their culture and working in a place that I am not miserable at is important to me.

I am also only planning to work at a firm for a year or two.

Any advice? Or if anyone has summered at these places if you don't mind sharing a bit about your experience anonymously that would be super helpful.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: PW vs DPW vs Cleary (White Collar/Commercial Lit)

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:15 am

Anyone want to comment on why they voted as they did?

notgreat

Silver

Post by notgreat » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:57 am

I have a good friend doing lit at PW. He hasn't had to do much doc review, but he still does a fair amount of grunt work. The matters have all been interesting so far, but that is luck of the draw (other people are stuck doing ABS lit). The hours are grueling and people can be intense and unnecessarily difficult. But in general the environment seems reasonable for elite NYC big law.

I have heard almost uniformly good things about DPW, but everyone I know there is not in lit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:57 pm

I'm a rising second year doing primarily commercial lit and white collar work at PW. In general, I like where I am at, and there isn't another ny biglaw firm I would rather do lit at. The matters are interesting, and the work life balance isn't too bad (I'll end up around 2,000 hours this year.)

Is there anything specific you would like to know?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:55 pm

Based on the experiences of my friends, the culture at Cleary is certainly no worse the PW or DPW. No matter where you go, your experience will be largely a product of who you happen to end up working for, because the pay and benefits are about the same. As such, I would make this decision based largely on mid-town vs lower Manhattan.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”