Turning firm down after acceptance Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Turning firm down after acceptance

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:48 pm

Accepted a firm a week ago but received another offer from a firm I would much rather work for. Has anyone turned down a firm they previously accepted... what are the repercussions?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Re: Turning firm down after acceptance

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:51 pm

Minimal to none (aside from the fact that you don't be able to lateral there later). Happens somewhat often. Your law school will tell you that you're going to burn in hell and your family will be cursed, but that's just because they think that it looks bad for the law school. Just send a polite email to the recruitment coordinator at the firm saying that you received an offer from a different firm . . . hard to pass up . . . something about location or practice area . . . sincerely apologize and appreciate all they did . . . bla bla bla. Also send an email to anyone who you had a good connection with there apologizing and thanking.

Congrats.
Last edited by SmokeytheBear on Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Accepted a firm a week ago but received another offer from a firm I would much rather work for. Has anyone turned down a firm they previously accepted... what are the repercussions?
It's a NALP violation. And if the firm complains to your school (which occasionally happens in this situation), your CSO will hate you because your conduct makes it less likely that the firm will hire students from your school in the future. But everything SmokeytheBear said is accurate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:31 pm

I did this in a somewhat related context. I accepted an offer from my summer firm, but I rescinded the offer during my clerkship to join a different firm in a different city. They understood, but my CSO did not. It may hurt your reputation with the school, but if you don't care, no sweat.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I did this in a somewhat related context. I accepted an offer from my summer firm, but I rescinded the offer during my clerkship to join a different firm in a different city. They understood, but my CSO did not. It may hurt your reputation with the school, but if you don't care, no sweat.
This makes no sense. It's not typical for a clerk to have a formal commitment to return to a firm during a clerkship. In fact, many courts and judges won't allow this. Any CSO should understand that it's the norm for a clerk to go to a different firm after clerking.

I can understand a CSO being upset with a student for breaking a commitment made during OCI, but I can't imagine a CSO taking issue with a grad going to a different firm after a clerkship. How did your CSO even know about the situation?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:48 pm

Do you think it matters at all that I got both offers outside of OCI?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you think it matters at all that I got both offers outside of OCI?
No.

Spot

New

Post by Spot » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:30 am

It's not a cool thing to do, but if you're going to do it, do it immediately.

Each acceptance we have equals several offers we don't give out. You're presenting at least one of your peers, and probably more, from getting a job offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”