PW v. Weil v. K&E - Corporate (NY) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

PW v. Weil v. K&E (NY - Corporate)

Paul, Weiss
24%
Weil
33%
Kirkland & Ellis
43%

Total votes: 95

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Re: PW v. Weil v. K&E - Corporate (NY)

Post by oblig.lawl.ref » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:21 am

If you didn't necessarily like KE's culture (i.e. it didn't stand out to you as cool) and you prefer PW right now I'd take KE out of the equation. I think they really call to a certain person and if it's not you, it's probably best to avoid.

In terms of work I think these are mostly all peer firms. PW has bolted on partners and partner groups to their practice recently. So it can be more of a mixed bag culture-wise than other places. Personally I'd go Weil. But regardless of PW or Weil, I'd try to avoid the PE teams from summer and try to work more with the strategic and/or public M&A. Just FYI.

Tr3

Silver

Post by Tr3 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:38 am

OP, I summered at both Weil and PW and am interested in M&A/PE. You can PM me if you want more details.

Both firms are great and have awesome people. I'd describe PW as a little more quirky and Weil as a little more bro-y, but neither are extreme. Weil seems to have more of the "big name" deals, but PW's deals are pretty awesome, too. Weil requires you to pick a corporate subgroup at the end of the summer and then you specialize in that area right when you start as a first year associate (I should note that not everyone at Weil gets their preferred practice group--you rank your top three preferences and then they try to give you one of those groups, but it's not guaranteed). At PW, you work generally in corporate for two years and then specialize (but I gather associates start doing work for a particular group as early as the beginning of the second year). Each approach has pros and cons, perhaps one appeals to you more than the other.

ithrowds

Bronze

Post by ithrowds » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:57 am

Only have experience with Weil's culture, but I really liked the people there. Their corporate group (particularly in M&A) is solid across the board.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:41 am

oblig.lawl.ref wrote:If you didn't necessarily like KE's culture (i.e. it didn't stand out to you as cool) and you prefer PW right now I'd take KE out of the equation. I think they really call to a certain person and if it's not you, it's probably best to avoid.

In terms of work I think these are mostly all peer firms. PW has bolted on partners and partner groups to their practice recently. So it can be more of a mixed bag culture-wise than other places. Personally I'd go Weil. But regardless of PW or Weil, I'd try to avoid the PE teams from summer and try to work more with the strategic and/or public M&A. Just FYI.
Can you explain why PE should be avoided in the summer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Paul, Weiss has been on the "we're growing our corporate practice schtick" for close to a decade. The Scott Barshay hire was huge for business but I've heard rumblings that he changed the culture of the corporate group in a very negative way. Seems like he's awful to work for and he's generating a good portion of PW's M&A work. If you do a second look, try to pry about any culture shifts and be wary of even tepid criticism bc some may not outright tell you (like my law school friends who work there have been candid like me).

It'll pretty much all be the same in the end so just go where you like the people the best.
Are these thought about Barshay/PW's changing culture in corporate shared by others? I guess he did come from Cravath..

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I worked at Weil and know a few people at both KE and PW. I think this decision is definitely between Weil and KE. PW is a great firm, but just isn't the type of corporate powerhouse across the board like KE and Weil are. I honestly couldn't imagine a better firm from all perspectives than Weil, and this is coming from someone that hates big law in general and thought Weil was way too intense (just not cut out for V10 NYC corporate life).
Ehh - if OP is interested in corporate/m&a, then OP should focus on the strength of each firm's specific corporate/m&a group as these firms are largely big picture peers outside of that. I'm not at Paul, Weiss but I'm from a firm where they've taken some really big name partners recently and I have to say that I'm really impressed with their group. You can do some real big ticket PE work over there (although you'll have to work with Apollo (do a forum search)) or some blue chip public m&a/activist defense (although you'll have to take the HEAT). Either path will give you top-of-the-market training/development/experience if you can last a few years.
How do you feel about Barshay?
If you're interested in working on a 100b+ deal, gaining 30 pounds and losing most of your hair then there's only one firm in OP's list that will give you all three things in just 12 months.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I worked at Weil and know a few people at both KE and PW. I think this decision is definitely between Weil and KE. PW is a great firm, but just isn't the type of corporate powerhouse across the board like KE and Weil are. I honestly couldn't imagine a better firm from all perspectives than Weil, and this is coming from someone that hates big law in general and thought Weil was way too intense (just not cut out for V10 NYC corporate life).
Ehh - if OP is interested in corporate/m&a, then OP should focus on the strength of each firm's specific corporate/m&a group as these firms are largely big picture peers outside of that. I'm not at Paul, Weiss but I'm from a firm where they've taken some really big name partners recently and I have to say that I'm really impressed with their group. You can do some real big ticket PE work over there (although you'll have to work with Apollo (do a forum search)) or some blue chip public m&a/activist defense (although you'll have to take the HEAT). Either path will give you top-of-the-market training/development/experience if you can last a few years.
How do you feel about Barshay?
If you're interested in working on a 100b+ deal, gaining 30 pounds and losing most of your hair then there's only one firm in OP's list that will give you all three things in just 12 months.
Paul, Weiss?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”