Cleary v. STB culture Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cleary v. STB culture

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:41 am

Can anyone comment on cultural differences between Cleary and STB (in NYC)? I get the sense that STB is somewhat fratty, whereas Cleary is not. But basically what's important to me re: firm culture is that I end up in a place where screaming/yelling is not the norm, where I would like my colleagues but where fun is not forced, and where your life outside of work is somewhat respected. If anyone could comment on the culture of these two firms, I'd appreciate it.

Anonymous User

Re: Cleary v. STB culture

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:54 am

Not sure about culture but Have you gotten Cleary offer? Was just wondering the timeline from Cb to offer? Thanks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not sure about culture but Have you gotten Cleary offer? Was just wondering the timeline from Cb to offer? Thanks

Yes. Had my CB on a Friday and offer extended following Tuesday.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:where your life outside of work is somewhat respected.
Why you be going into biglaw if this is what you want? Much less a V10 or whatever.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:28 am

both places are similar and big enough that you shouldn't factor in culture. Fyi - STB is not fratty at all and I haven't encountered a screamer nor have I heard they exist. You will not get along with everyone but that's life (I do get along with everyone I've work with except one person).

More important that culture at this point is practice areas, staffing system and location.

- STB associate

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:05 am

Both are considered nice firms to work at, comparatively speaking. I'd put some thought into what type of corporate work interests you most. Simpson definitely has some strengths in private equity transactions and real estate that Cleary does not share; Cleary has the dominant merger review practice and their international groups are generally best regarded.

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:10 pm

if you have no practice group preference (and even if you do, as both are basically stellar at everything) go based on whether you would rather work in downtown or midtown. the 20 min difference in commute will have the greatest impact on your quality of life then any other factor here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:09 pm

Any more culture comparisons ?

What about exit opportunities? I don't think I want to stay at a firm forever. Would love to go in-house at a corporation (v interested in fashion/luxury goods sector) at some point.

daedalus2309

Bronze

Post by daedalus2309 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any more culture comparisons ?

What about exit opportunities? I don't think I want to stay at a firm forever. Would love to go in-house at a corporation (v interested in fashion/luxury goods sector) at some point.
Aside from the sliiiightly different work I would say exit ops are identical.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”