Bold CB Move Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bold CB Move

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:24 pm

I am fortunate to have two offers going into a CB this Thursday at a firm that is my absolute first choice. Is it appropriate to throw the offers on the table and say during an interview with the partner that I would accept an offer from them on the spot?

stickershocked

New

Re: Bold CB Move

Post by stickershocked » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:25 pm

Probably not.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:25 pm

Only if you literally throw paper offers on the table as though they were gauntlets and you were challenging the interviewer to a duel.

yyyuppp

Bronze

Post by yyyuppp » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:29 pm

i think if they ask you where else you are looking, you could say you have those offers but would take an offer at X firm over them. doing it the way you suggest might be weird, unless they're weird too.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:33 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Only if you literally throw paper offers on the table as though they were gauntlets and you were challenging the interviewer to a duel.
OP: Don't listen to cavalier. His advice is poor.

The proper approach here involves a cigarette lighter, which you should use to burn the two existing offers in front of the partner. Once those offers have turned to ash, unroll your sleeve to reveal the name of your top firm—which, of course, you should have carved into your arm with a knife during the hour before your interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am fortunate to have two offers going into a CB this Thursday at a firm that is my absolute first choice. Is it appropriate to throw the offers on the table and say during an interview with the partner that I would accept an offer from them on the spot?
Absolutely not.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:42 pm

rpupkin wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Only if you literally throw paper offers on the table as though they were gauntlets and you were challenging the interviewer to a duel.

The proper approach here involves a cigarette lighter, which you should use to burn the two existing offers in front of the partner. Once those offers have turned to ash, unroll your sleeve to reveal the name of your top firm—which, of course, you should have carved into your arm with a knife during the hour before your interview.
This isn't a bad approach, but partners might be disturbed by the blood. (They really shouldn't be if they're partners at a prestigious firm, but I'm not sure where you're interviewing) It's best to go with a tattoo here, IMO. It is more prominent and permanent that a cut, is easier to read, and doesn't drip.

I absolutely agree with burning the offers though, just be sure to have an empty metal trashcan close.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am fortunate to have two offers going into a CB this Thursday at a firm that is my absolute first choice. Is it appropriate to throw the offers on the table and say during an interview with the partner that I would accept an offer from them on the spot?
No, it's not. Most partners don't have the power to just extend offers without the proper internal approvals and the ones with such power will not be interviewing you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:49 pm

Ive had many interviewers ask about where I am in the process? Ive been upfront and basically told them that I have 4 offers and listed the names of the firms..I also tell them I am only interviewing at places where I am genuinely interested in working. Its worked for me just about everytime ...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:52 pm

Original Anon here, it's not so much that I would expect an offer on the spot as opposed to showing my level of interest. But I guess it doesn't come off too well

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Original Anon here, it's not so much that I would expect an offer on the spot as opposed to showing my level of interest. But I guess it doesn't come off too well
I think the directly above post is the best tact--if they ask, you can say you have two offers from other firms (though I wouldn't name the firms--that's a bit gauche) and that you are genuinely most excited about their firm. If they don't ask during an interview, I would say something in your thank you email to the partner (after you've said thank you bla bla bla) along the lines of how your callback piqued your interest in that firm and that, while you have two other offers, the callback confirmed that [x] is the firm you want to work at.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ive had many interviewers ask about where I am in the process? Ive been upfront and basically told them that I have 4 offers and listed the names of the firms..I also tell them I am only interviewing at places where I am genuinely interested in working. Its worked for me just about everytime ...
That's all fine. You should of course tell a partner (or a recruiter or whomever you're talking with) about your existing offers if asked.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:37 pm

I know any number of people who've said "You're my top choice," and that seems fine to me, provided it's true. But "I'd pick you over them" sounds like fast-talk and a bit disrespectful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know any number of people who've said "You're my top choice," and that seems fine to me, provided it's true. But "I'd pick you over them" sounds like fast-talk and a bit disrespectful.
This distinction makes zero sense to me.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:26 pm

rpupkin wrote:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:40 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know any number of people who've said "You're my top choice," and that seems fine to me, provided it's true. But "I'd pick you over them" sounds like fast-talk and a bit disrespectful.
I think it reads differently when you don't volunteer having offers with other firms. Obviously, different deal if asked.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
I think it reads differently when you don't volunteer having offers with other firms. Obviously, different deal if asked.
Got it. I was thinking both approaches started with, "I have X and Y offers, but..."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:52 pm

No reason to bring up other offers unless they ask specifically. Also no reason to tell a firm they're your top choice. At best it makes you look interested, which you can do in less direct ways, and at worst it makes you like overeager and desperate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:53 pm

I think they assume you have other offers unless you are a marginal candidate for some particular reason? I don't see the value add of mentioning it--law students are a dime a dozen for these firms. If you're a superior candidate on paper and a good fit, you'll get the offer anyway

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:38 pm

You better have a damn good reason for wanting to work there so bad.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:41 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:You better have a damn good reason for wanting to work there so bad.
what reason is good enough?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:You better have a damn good reason for wanting to work there so bad.
what reason is good enough?
I won't speak with any serious authority because I'm only a law student, but how much do these firms actually differ outside having different clients or being in different markets? There are cultural differences that a law student won't be fully aware of while interviewing and won't be privy to in this process, but if we're talking about big firms generically in similar markets doing similar work, will there be a demonstrable reason to prefer one firm over another? If the difference is between Covington DC vs. Williams & Connolly DC for lit, there will be important differences, but the overarching advice to pick based on practice area, size, firm culture, and the vibe you get from the firm is probably much more important.

These are all ultimately somewhat arbitrary decisions being made by those of us who are trying to decipher between options, but there isn't one specific reason that is "good enough" or "not good enough." Each person is different.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:56 pm

How does this calculus change if you're telling a non-interviewer at the firm (partner you know personally) of your absolute preference for their firm? Obviously my phone call to them will not present an opportunity for fire or flesh wound, but curious on best practices for this kind of move (or advice not to do it).

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How does this calculus change if you're telling a non-interviewer at the firm (partner you know personally) of your absolute preference for their firm? Obviously my phone call to them will not present an opportunity for fire or flesh wound, but curious on best practices for this kind of move (or advice not to do it).
Are you absolutely dead set on working for this firm? You should only mention that the firm is your top choice if you'd accept an offer, regardless of who you're talking with at the firm, and regardless of other options available to you. Otherwise, be cordial, appreciative, and non-commital until they make a decision. Your control of the process begins and ends in the interactions you have with the firm, and you should appreciate that. It doesn't matter if it's an interviewer or not, because everyone at the firm can affect your candidacy at the firm. But if you have a strong advocate at the firm because you want to work for them, absolutely leverage that relationship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:05 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How does this calculus change if you're telling a non-interviewer at the firm (partner you know personally) of your absolute preference for their firm? Obviously my phone call to them will not present an opportunity for fire or flesh wound, but curious on best practices for this kind of move (or advice not to do it).
Are you absolutely dead set on working for this firm? You should only mention that the firm is your top choice if you'd accept an offer, regardless of who you're talking with at the firm, and regardless of other options available to you. Otherwise, be cordial, appreciative, and non-commital until they make a decision. Your control of the process begins and ends in the interactions you have with the firm, and you should appreciate that. It doesn't matter if it's an interviewer or not, because everyone at the firm can affect your candidacy at the firm. But if you have a strong advocate at the firm because you want to work for them, absolutely leverage that relationship.
If some people got cbs for a firm and nobody got rejections yet, does it pay to follow up with the partner? He liked me and I said I could email him something we spoke about and then I did not (because it wasn't a promise, but a "I can email you")
Does it ever help to email follow up? Sigh

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”