Boston 2017 Offers Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Boston 2017 Offers

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone get an offer from WilmerHale after getting an email saying: "Your candidacy is under review with our hiring committee and as soon as we have a decision, we will notify you."?
Interested in this as well. It's been over a week since I received this email.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone get an offer from WilmerHale after getting an email saying: "Your candidacy is under review with our hiring committee and as soon as we have a decision, we will notify you."?
Ugh, seems like a lot of us with this email. Assuming it's unlikely to get off the waitlist.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:08 pm

a
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Ugh, seems like a lot of us with this email. Assuming it's unlikely to get off the waitlist.
Interviewed at the end of the week and haven't gotten that email....hmmmmm..... :?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Proskauer offer today by phone.
when is ur cb and school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:08 pm

does anyone have a post-cb ding from proskauer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Proskauer offer today by phone.
when is ur cb and school?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Interviewed at the end of the week and haven't gotten that email....hmmmmm..... :?
Got the email one week after interviewing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:00 pm

Has anyone who had a Latham CB late last week heard from them yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:05 pm

Question for Ropes offerees: has there been a lot of outreach from partners or associates? Other firms have been in contact quite a bit, but silence from Ropes. Curious as to other offerees' experiences.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:23 pm

I'm surprised at how little outreach Ropes has done. Only an email from an associate. However, I think I was a last minute offer. Still, the contrast to other firms is stark.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Question for Ropes offerees: has there been a lot of outreach from partners or associates? Other firms have been in contact quite a bit, but silence from Ropes. Curious as to other offerees' experiences.
Anonymous User wrote:I'm surprised at how little outreach Ropes has done. Only an email from an associate. However, I think I was a last minute offer. Still, the contrast to other firms is stark.
Second anon, even if you were a last minute offer, I don't think their lack of outreach is reflective of that. I was essentially an auto-offer and the only outreach I got was a congratulatory email from one of my interviewers. It seems like that is pretty consistent across offerees. Congrats to you both on the offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:27 pm

Has anyone heard from either foley hoag or Latham? I did both callbacks fairly early on (1+ week ago) and I've heard nothing other than an immediate email from foley hoag (as in, within an hour of my CB) telling me that they take a long time to make decisions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from either Foley Hoag or Latham? I did both callbacks fairly early on (1+ week ago) and I've heard nothing other than an immediate email from Foley Hoag (as in, within an hour of my CB) telling me that they take a long time to make decisions.
One of my friends from law school waited for a really long time for his offer from Foley. IIRC it was through September at least.

edit: this was in 2015

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from either Foley Hoag or Latham? I did both callbacks fairly early on (1+ week ago) and I've heard nothing other than an immediate email from Foley Hoag (as in, within an hour of my CB) telling me that they take a long time to make decisions.

I did CB with Latham the week of August 14 and got offer 8-9 days after CB

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Question for Ropes offerees: has there been a lot of outreach from partners or associates? Other firms have been in contact quite a bit, but silence from Ropes. Curious as to other offerees' experiences.
Anonymous User wrote:I'm surprised at how little outreach Ropes has done. Only an email from an associate. However, I think I was a last minute offer. Still, the contrast to other firms is stark.
Second anon, even if you were a last minute offer, I don't think their lack of outreach is reflective of that. I was essentially an auto-offer and the only outreach I got was a congratulatory email from one of my interviewers. It seems like that is pretty consistent across offerees. Congrats to you both on the offers.
First anon who asked the question.
I understand little outreach shouldn't play much into the decision, but reflecting on it... it does.
Some of my classmates have gotten a few calls/e-mails/etc.
With that said, I've heard overwhelmingly positive reviews

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
2 things...

1) could be that the ppl you interviewed with are too busy and forgot or didnt care to make the effort
2) morale could be very low at ropes given how they are being raided by K&E everywhere

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
2 things...

1) could be that the ppl you interviewed with are too busy and forgot or didnt care to make the effort
2) morale could be very low at ropes given how they are being raided by K&E everywhere
Both of those aren't true. I was offered last year and also was surprised by the lack of attention. I accepted the offer and over the summer I asked recruiting about it. They just said that they know it's a super busy time for students and they trust that if the people they offered have questions, the students will reach out. In hindsight, the lack of salesman-like pitch was actually pretty nice because other firms definitely got annoying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:22 pm

Damage Over Time wrote:
One of my friends from law school waited for a really long time for his offer from Foley. IIRC it was through September at least.

Foley takes a while and their hiring committee only meets once a week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
2 things...

For what it's worth, I'm a Ropes Boston associate and neither of these are true, at least in my experience. People are busy but certainly willing to take time to talk to offerees if they have questions.

To the anons wondering about outreach, please do not hesitate to reach out to any of your interviewers or recruiting if you have questions. Feel free to schedule a "second look" visit to meet with more attorneys if that would be helpful in your decision (if you're interested in a particular practice area you can meet with attorneys in that group). I think Ropes, especially in Boston, might at times rest on its laurels as a top Boston law firm a bit too much. However, we also aren't the "hard sell" type firm that is going to be borderline harassing law students with consistent calls and emails to accept their offers.

Ropes is a great place to begin your legal career and I have nothing but great things to say about the people I work with here and the type of work/responsibility I've been given.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
2 things...

Both of those aren't true. I was offered last year and also was surprised by the lack of attention. I accepted the offer and over the summer I asked recruiting about it. They just said that they know it's a super busy time for students and they trust that if the people they offered have questions, the students will reach out. In hindsight, the lack of salesman-like pitch was actually pretty nice because other firms definitely got annoying.
Just giving perspective since Ropes did put a very hard sell on me and it could very well be that the people i met with were just not as busy.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Damage Over Time wrote:

Foley takes a while and their hiring committee only meets once a week.
I was told by my interviewer that their hiring committee meets on Thursdays. Anyone know how much stock is put into the writing sample vs your interviews & grades?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:48 am

Ropes Aug 18 cb, 9/1 offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Ropes Aug 18 cb, 9/1 offer.
Corporate or lit?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:07 pm

to follow up on the dechert discussion earlier in the thread I got a cb last week (1 week after the cb). I got a call first and then an email to confirm. So the 2 weeks by mail language in the logistics email seems to be outdated.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”