Question about med mal and employ law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Question about med mal and employ law

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:35 am

Can medical malpractice be part of employment law? Can I lateral to a labor and employment firm after working for a professional liability defense firm, or is it too different and TTT?

Anonymous User

Re: Question about med mal and employ law

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:06 pm

Anon because I'm at a L&E firm. It's possible. A lot of people in the specialty firms are laterals. Most come from corporate litigation but from med mal you'd be in a good place to do OSHA litigation. Start working your network.

tyroneslothrop1

Postby tyroneslothrop1 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:32 pm

I know someone who did med mal for a few years and lateralled to a mid-sized labor and employment firm. My understanding is that med mal is pretty terrible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:44 pm

thanks guys. right now i have an offer from a mid-sized firm that does professional liability (website has labor and employment and it is ranked on u.s. news as tier 3 but i don't know how much exposure i'd get, if any). i'm wondering if i should just take it or not. some attorneys have said that once you get into med mal, personal injury, id, you'll get pigeonholed. i certainly don't want to be miserable practicing med mal for life. i don't know how likely lateraling is. however, i'm thinking the litigation skills i learn can transfer right? and i can just overemphasize the little l&e experience i do get.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:11 pm

I know several folks at med mal firms. You shouldn't expect L&E work to be all that different. It is all glorified insurance defense.

You will get good litigation experience doing med mal defense. Not sure you will get to go to L&E, but I am not sure why you think that is some step up. It is not like defending Wal-Mart in an age discrimination suit for firing the $8/hour greeter is going to be much better or more interesting. L&E firms (the big ones) are beholden to the insurance folks as well, so it is also glorified insurance defense.

I think it really depends on if you have any other offers. I think it is a great place to learn litigation skills, and if you are interested in that, you should totally do it, but is not a good place to try to lateral.

Return to “Legal Employment”