Out of my league firm Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Out of my league firm

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:50 pm

rpupkin wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:The anon in question has said they don't want to give any more identifying information, so people need to stop asking.

(I'm also not sure how one fuck-up, which is admittedly awful for the person involved, says much about working at this firm that people need to know to make decisions about employment, but feel free to enlighten me.)
Yes, exactly. This sounds like a clerical error of sorts. Would suck to be on the receiving end of it... but I sorta doubt there were bad motives at play.
I'm not an "out the firm!" fan, but here's the thing: if there was indeed a clerical error, then the firm sucks for putting the cost of that error on the applicant instead of on itself. Basically, once that offer went out, the firm should have sucked it up and stood by its offer, even if the offer was the result of a mistake.
Do you think this is the only firm that would put the cost on the applicant rather than suck it up and stand by the offer?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:39 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:The anon in question has said they don't want to give any more identifying information, so people need to stop asking.

(I'm also not sure how one fuck-up, which is admittedly awful for the person involved, says much about working at this firm that people need to know to make decisions about employment, but feel free to enlighten me.)
Yes, exactly. This sounds like a clerical error of sorts. Would suck to be on the receiving end of it... but I sorta doubt there were bad motives at play.
I'm not an "out the firm!" fan, but here's the thing: if there was indeed a clerical error, then the firm sucks for putting the cost of that error on the applicant instead of on itself. Basically, once that offer went out, the firm should have sucked it up and stood by its offer, even if the offer was the result of a mistake.
Do you think this is the only firm that would put the cost on the applicant rather than suck it up and stand by the offer?
Probably not. But I think the vast majority of big law firms would.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:11 pm

rpupkin wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

Probably not. But I think the vast majority of big law firms would.
I have had similar things happened to be but that was with the CB invitation. Definitely not as serious as what happened to anon but still I felt pretty bad. I think firms have no reason to care because 1) candidates who would receive offers would unlikely reject them for stories about how the firm has made a mistake with one of their previous competitors; 2) candidates who would not receive offers...well I guess the firm wouldn't care about their opinions anyway. It sucks but students do not have the same bargaining power as law firms have, even with those stellar ones; it's not anything like a phd student with an important patent bargaining with a pharmaceutical company. If you have to do anything about it, you work really hard for twenty years and be very successful as a GC or an entrepreneur and give all business to their competitor firms - or you probably won't care about them either at that time.

gortega86

New

Post by gortega86 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:46 pm

rpupkin wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

Not if that offer had never been accepted.

It is a terrible mistake, but OP nvr said they accepted then firm attempted to revoke. I am sure if an acceptance had been made it would be pretty hard for firm to revoke after.

They are under no obligation to keep offer open after realizing an error.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:47 am

gortega86 wrote:
rpupkin wrote: I'm not an "out the firm!" fan, but here's the thing: if there was indeed a clerical error, then the firm sucks for putting the cost of that error on the applicant instead of on itself. Basically, once that offer went out, the firm should have sucked it up and stood by its offer, even if the offer was the result of a mistake.
Not if that offer had never been accepted.

It is a terrible mistake, but OP nvr said they accepted then firm attempted to revoke. I am sure if an acceptance had been made it would be pretty hard for firm to revoke after.

They are under no obligation to keep offer open after realizing an error.
(Master of Contract Law)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

frisb213

New

Post by frisb213 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:51 am

Last edited by frisb213 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:00 pm

Jesus people, it's at will employment. The behavior is terrible and should be shamed, but your 1L issue spotting is not helpful here.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:14 pm

cron1834 wrote:Jesus people, it's at will employment.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”