Should we expect callback invites over the weekend?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 294823
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Should we expect callback invites over the weekend?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:03 am

In general, but more specifically for firms interviewed on Friday

HellfirePeninsula
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: Should we expect callback invites over the weekend?

Postby HellfirePeninsula » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:24 am

I don't imagine that anyone who works over the weekend at a law firm does so to call law students.

User avatar
tyrant_flycatcher
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:05 pm

Re: Should we expect callback invites over the weekend?

Postby tyrant_flycatcher » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:27 am

HellfirePeninsula wrote:I don't imagine that anyone who works over the weekend at a law firm does so to call law students.


Generally, no. But it can happen. I received a CB on a Saturday after doing a screener the day before.

Anonymous User
Posts: 294823
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Should we expect callback invites over the weekend?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:12 pm

tyrant_flycatcher wrote:
HellfirePeninsula wrote:I don't imagine that anyone who works over the weekend at a law firm does so to call law students.


Generally, no. But it can happen. I received a CB on a Saturday after doing a screener the day before.


What does it mean when you get a generic "we are considering you" email from recruiting over the weekend after a Monday interview?

Anonymous User
Posts: 294823
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Should we expect callback invites over the weekend?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:17 pm

Several v20 firms have given out callbacks today (Saturday). Not sure about Sunday, though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 294823
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Should we expect callback invites over the weekend?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Several v20 firms have given out callbacks today (Saturday). Not sure about Sunday, though.


Are rejections typically given out at same time as CBs? Did rejections come by email or snail mail last year? People have been getting emails it seems but I wonder if some rejections have already been sent by snail mail

User avatar
UVA2B
Posts: 2045
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Should we expect callback invites over the weekend?

Postby UVA2B » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Several v20 firms have given out callbacks today (Saturday). Not sure about Sunday, though.


Are rejections typically given out at same time as CBs? Did rejections come by email or snail mail last year? People have been getting emails it seems but I wonder if some rejections have already been sent by snail mail


It depends on the firm, and it depends on their evaluation of you. You might not be current CB material, but if some of their other candidates turn down CBs/offers, they might hold off on rejecting you in case they want to offer a CB later in the game. As an overly general rule, assumes you're still in the game until you get communication from the firm stating otherwise.

Anonymous User
Posts: 294823
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Should we expect callback invites over the weekend?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:50 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Several v20 firms have given out callbacks today (Saturday). Not sure about Sunday, though.


Are rejections typically given out at same time as CBs? Did rejections come by email or snail mail last year? People have been getting emails it seems but I wonder if some rejections have already been sent by snail mail


It depends on the firm, and it depends on their evaluation of you. You might not be current CB material, but if some of their other candidates turn down CBs/offers, they might hold off on rejecting you in case they want to offer a CB later in the game. As an overly general rule, assumes you're still in the game until you get communication from the firm stating otherwise.


Thanks! Any tips on what messages tend to be effective in "remain interested" emails?

Anonymous User
Posts: 294823
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Should we expect callback invites over the weekend?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Several v20 firms have given out callbacks today (Saturday). Not sure about Sunday, though.


Are rejections typically given out at same time as CBs? Did rejections come by email or snail mail last year? People have been getting emails it seems but I wonder if some rejections have already been sent by snail mail


It depends on the firm, and it depends on their evaluation of you. You might not be current CB material, but if some of their other candidates turn down CBs/offers, they might hold off on rejecting you in case they want to offer a CB later in the game. As an overly general rule, assumes you're still in the game until you get communication from the firm stating otherwise.


Thanks! Any tips on what messages tend to be effective in "remain interested" emails?


Did anyone recommend sending unsolicited "remain interested" emails to firms?

Anonymous User
Posts: 294823
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Should we expect callback invites over the weekend?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In general, but more specifically for firms interviewed on Friday


I called the people I interviewed at an OCI and sent them callback invite emails last Saturday. I frankly should have done it Friday evening but couldn't so wanted to do it asap.

Anonymous User
Posts: 294823
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Should we expect callback invites over the weekend?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In general, but more specifically for firms interviewed on Friday


I called the people I interviewed at an OCI and sent them callback invite emails last Saturday. I frankly should have done it Friday evening but couldn't so wanted to do it asap.


Thanks! What does it mean if I've heard no news from the same firm for which my some of classmates got callback invites and others got rejection emails? Am I in a waitlist like position?

Anonymous User
Posts: 294823
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Should we expect callback invites over the weekend?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In general, but more specifically for firms interviewed on Friday


I called the people I interviewed at an OCI and sent them callback invite emails last Saturday. I frankly should have done it Friday evening but couldn't so wanted to do it asap.


Thanks! What does it mean if I've heard no news from the same firm for which my some of classmates got callback invites and others got rejection emails? Am I in a waitlist like position?


Same office? Same interviewer? The way my firm works is the person who interviewed the candidate is who makes the callback offer (so you could get it a day or so later than others because the person extending the offer is out of pocket). Occasionally certain offices could take longer to approve who we are recommending for callbacks and we will go ahead and get the callbacks out for the other offices. My firm doesn't have a waitlist. People get callbacks or don't - even if zero people accepted their callback invite we wouldn't go back and invite more.

I'm sure other firms do things differently though. Sounds like the firm you are interviewing with could have such a waitlist as rejections usually coming from recruiting, are generic and come at the same time. I wouldn't give up hope yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 294823
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Should we expect callback invites over the weekend?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:57 pm

I received an offer from Cravath (corp) today after interviewing earlier this week. Call came around 4pm

Anonymous User
Posts: 294823
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Should we expect callback invites over the weekend?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:57 pm

I received an offer from Cravath (corp) today after interviewing earlier this week. Call came around 4pm

Anonymous User
Posts: 294823
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Should we expect callback invites over the weekend?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Same office? Same interviewer? The way my firm works is the person who interviewed the candidate is who makes the callback offer (so you could get it a day or so later than others because the person extending the offer is out of pocket). Occasionally certain offices could take longer to approve who we are recommending for callbacks and we will go ahead and get the callbacks out for the other offices. My firm doesn't have a waitlist. People get callbacks or don't - even if zero people accepted their callback invite we wouldn't go back and invite more.

I'm sure other firms do things differently though. Sounds like the firm you are interviewing with could have such a waitlist as rejections usually coming from recruiting, are generic and come at the same time. I wouldn't give up hope yet.


Thank you! If you are still here, does a personalized request from a recruiter for a transcript after the interview (because the interviewer forgot to ask for it) imply that the interviewer wants to extend a callback, or is on the fence?

Anonymous User
Posts: 294823
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Should we expect callback invites over the weekend?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Same office? Same interviewer? The way my firm works is the person who interviewed the candidate is who makes the callback offer (so you could get it a day or so later than others because the person extending the offer is out of pocket). Occasionally certain offices could take longer to approve who we are recommending for callbacks and we will go ahead and get the callbacks out for the other offices. My firm doesn't have a waitlist. People get callbacks or don't - even if zero people accepted their callback invite we wouldn't go back and invite more.

I'm sure other firms do things differently though. Sounds like the firm you are interviewing with could have such a waitlist as rejections usually coming from recruiting, are generic and come at the same time. I wouldn't give up hope yet.


Thank you! If you are still here, does a personalized request from a recruiter for a transcript after the interview (because the interviewer forgot to ask for it) imply that the interviewer wants to extend a callback, or is on the fence?


I would say that they are considering you but can't extend a callback without knowing your grades and if you meet the cutoff. If you were a firm no then they wouldn't waste their time asking for your transcript.

Anonymous User
Posts: 294823
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Should we expect callback invites over the weekend?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Same office? Same interviewer? The way my firm works is the person who interviewed the candidate is who makes the callback offer (so you could get it a day or so later than others because the person extending the offer is out of pocket). Occasionally certain offices could take longer to approve who we are recommending for callbacks and we will go ahead and get the callbacks out for the other offices. My firm doesn't have a waitlist. People get callbacks or don't - even if zero people accepted their callback invite we wouldn't go back and invite more.

I'm sure other firms do things differently though. Sounds like the firm you are interviewing with could have such a waitlist as rejections usually coming from recruiting, are generic and come at the same time. I wouldn't give up hope yet.


Thank you! If you are still here, does a personalized request from a recruiter for a transcript after the interview (because the interviewer forgot to ask for it) imply that the interviewer wants to extend a callback, or is on the fence?


I would say that they are considering you but can't extend a callback without knowing your grades and if you meet the cutoff. If you were a firm no then they wouldn't waste their time asking for your transcript.


A few hours after I submitted the transcript, some of my peers received callbacks from the interviewer in question. I did not. Does this mean I'm out of the running on account of my grades? It's hard for me to discern the extent to which my lack of callbacks is a function of interviewing skills versus grades. I've gotten 3 transcript requests following interviews and 0 callbacks from these firms. Interviews were last week, so there might still be hope, but most of my classmates are sitting on far more callback offers at this point.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.