District Attorney's Offices 2018 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorney's Offices 2018

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:29 pm

[/quote] I'm eerily in the exact same boat as you anon. DANY told me it would take at a minimum 4-6 years of experience in its office before you could even transfer to one of its white-collar related investigations divisions (assuming there's even an opening, which you'd have to apply to separately). I think the NJ clerkship --> state AG/NJ bureau of securities route is the quickest and most logical path to your goal, but if geography matters more to you, then I'd keep on trying with DANY and KCDA. A NJ state clerkship will not hurt your chances of getting DANY and KCDA afterwards, but it really won't help you either since you can become an ADA in one of those offices without that experience. If anything, it's just delaying your eventual career path.[/quote]

It feels like a huge delay. What are you thinking about doing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:47 pm

First round interview w/ DANY coming up soon. Any advice? Generally I'm a pretty social guy, but I always feel like I'm a shit interviewer.

gom.sa

New

Post by gom.sa » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:First round interview w/ DANY coming up soon. Any advice? Generally I'm a pretty social guy, but I always feel like I'm a shit interviewer.
Haven't interviewed with DANY yet but a classmate who did said that they're fond of asking hypothetical questions and then pushing back REALLY HARD on whatever you say. He got an ethical hypo and others have gotten legal hypos. Don't get too worked up about what the "right" answer is, just choose one and do your best of justifying/defending it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:23 pm

gom.sa wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:First round interview w/ DANY coming up soon. Any advice? Generally I'm a pretty social guy, but I always feel like I'm a shit interviewer.
Haven't interviewed with DANY yet but a classmate who did said that they're fond of asking hypothetical questions and then pushing back REALLY HARD on whatever you say. He got an ethical hypo and others have gotten legal hypos. Don't get too worked up about what the "right" answer is, just choose one and do your best of justifying/defending it.
Damn, that was a first round interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:21 pm

For anyone wondering about Bronx timeline, I had my panel interview on September 27th and received an email invite for third round on October 3rd.

I applied online to DANY and KCDA on August 9, and haven’t heard back either way.

Also, the earlier post about hiring classes being much larger this year is false (at least for Bronx). Bronx is hiring about half of what they did last year (around 60).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
gom.sa wrote:
I had a first round with DANY last week and got a hypo. Anyone get a second round with DANY yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
gom.sa wrote:
I had a first round with DANY last week and got a hypo. Anyone get a second round with DANY yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:05 pm

Had 1st round with DANY ~3 weeks ago. Very relaxed, no hypos. Lots of resume questions. This was at CCN OCI, maybe they are looser with those kind of screeners.

Got an invite for a 2nd round panel with Bronx. Haven't heard from the Kings/Queens/DANY in the 1.5-2.5 weeks since my 1st round.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:42 pm

Not a great day for DANY or Cy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not a great day for DANY or Cy.
He's a popular Democrat, this will blow over in 48 hours.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not a great day for DANY or Cy.
He's a popular Democrat, this will blow over in 48 hours.

. . . when the Bronx does something nutty.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:00 pm

Make sure you know the name of the DA of the office you're applying for. You won't get asked this 90%, but it can shoot you out of the water on the rare occasion you do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Make sure you know the name of the DA of the office you're applying for. You won't get asked this 90%, but it can shoot you out of the water on the rare occasion you do.
seconded...was asked da's name in queens screener and one of the queen's panel. also think was asked in one of the bronx rounds.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:42 am

Longshot, but anyone know of any movement at the DE AG's office (New Castle or Kent)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:22 am

What's the normal time period to hear back from DANY after 1st round interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's the normal time period to hear back from DANY after 1st round interview?
I've heard of situations from 4 to 8 weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Is it a really bad sign if someone from your school who did an OCI screener the same day as you has already had a 2nd round and you haven't even heard back?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:43 pm

Recently had an interview with the Philly DA (panel Interview) - does anyone know anything about how many people they are hiring/timeline on a decision/anything else?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it a really bad sign if someone from your school who did an OCI screener the same day as you has already had a 2nd round and you haven't even heard back?
I can only speak to NYC, but no. It's not a great sign, but it's not "really bad." I did this process a few years ago and it sucks to hear, but you won't know anything for sure until you get an offer/rejection. Your are going to go insane trying to compare timelines. The hiring is such a black box in terms of timelines. October is still relatively early in the process btw.

Also from experience I know this post will do nothing to assist your stress.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:42 am

Has anyone had a third round with Brooklyn?

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it a really bad sign if someone from your school who did an OCI screener the same day as you has already had a 2nd round and you haven't even heard back?

I don't think its necessarily a bad sign. The only bad sign is if -everybody- who did an OCI screener the same day, or after, you has already done a second round, but you still haven't heard back.

There's many reasons that could account for the disparity. That other person could have been lucky and assigned to a panel that had a mostly free schedule in October, whereas you could be assigned to a panel that is having trouble finding dates where all the panelists are free, for example.

Even if the quickness with which they schedule interviews was indicative of anything (it's not an accurate/reliable measure), that the office loved that other person doesn't mean they hated you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:21 pm

Still nothing from Brooklyn, Bronx,and Queens after applying around mid August. Has anyone been able to check their application via phone call to these places?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:10 pm

What do you do if you've accepted an offer at one of the offices, while still having outstanding apps at some of the other boroughs? Do you contact them and tell them you've accepted an offer, even if you weren't contacted after your interview? (i.e. over two months since a screener at one office, and over a month since my panel at another, with radio silence ever since)

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What do you do if you've accepted an offer at one of the offices, while still having outstanding apps at some of the other boroughs? Do you contact them and tell them you've accepted an offer, even if you weren't contacted after your interview? (i.e. over two months since a screener at one office, and over a month since my panel at another, with radio silence ever since)
Yup. Easiest thing would be probably to just write a letter saying that you've accepted an offer elsewhere and you're withdrawing your application.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:41 am

manhattan da can't stay out of the news...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”