District Attorney's Offices 2018 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorney's Offices 2018

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2017 grad, starting at one of the ny offices in a month or so. checking in to answer q's about the hiring process. i did int's at the 4 ny offices
Do you (or anyone else) have any advice for someone who did not pursue any NY DA jobs via OCI or in the standard stream of hiring? I'm currently clerking for a (non-NY) state high court, have a mid-size firm job lined up, and am reconsidering that path, wishing instead I'd pursued prosecution (I did intern in a non-NY prosecutor's office post-1L summer but took an OCI offer from the firm soon after). Is it a fool's errand to apply as a lateral? If not, any advice on timing? My questions are not limited to any particular office, but primarily focused on NY, Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, Westchester.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:12 pm

Anyone have any recent insight into Philly? Hard to tell from reading earlier posts in this thread whether they actually made any offers before Larry Krasner took office -- wondering if he's hiring most/all of the ADA class that will be starting in the fall.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2017 grad, starting at one of the ny offices in a month or so. checking in to answer q's about the hiring process. i did int's at the 4 ny offices
Do you (or anyone else) have any advice for someone who did not pursue any NY DA jobs via OCI or in the standard stream of hiring? I'm currently clerking for a (non-NY) state high court, have a mid-size firm job lined up, and am reconsidering that path, wishing instead I'd pursued prosecution (I did intern in a non-NY prosecutor's office post-1L summer but took an OCI offer from the firm soon after). Is it a fool's errand to apply as a lateral? If not, any advice on timing? My questions are not limited to any particular office, but primarily focused on NY, Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, Westchester.

It's definitely not a fool's errand. One of my second-round interviewers was a guy who came from a firm. One of my current coworkers came to my office after clerking in an intermediate appellate court of another state (PM if you want add'l details). Some offices really want to place people specifically in Appeals, since it's somewhat of a niche practice, and your experience would definitely help that.

Timing will vary on the office and where you're seeking to be placed. If you want the whole intake/ECAB/misdemeanor experience, the offices will probably want you to submit your application during their established recruitment schedules so you can attend the class training. If you're applying for placement in a specific bureau (Appeals), timing may be less significant.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any recent insight into Philly? Hard to tell from reading earlier posts in this thread whether they actually made any offers before Larry Krasner took office -- wondering if he's hiring most/all of the ADA class that will be starting in the fall.
Has anyone (law student or recent grad) heard anything from the Philly DA's office? I graduated about two years ago and applied through his website in early January. I received a postcard about 2 weeks later basically just acknowledging my application and stating they would contact me for an interview if there were open spots available and my qualifications met what they're looking for.

I haven't heard anything since, and I have no idea who to even contact to inquire about the status.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:46 pm

Final round with queens da, anyone have any advice with the opening statement or otherwise.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BLS2018

New

Post by BLS2018 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any recent insight into Philly? Hard to tell from reading earlier posts in this thread whether they actually made any offers before Larry Krasner took office -- wondering if he's hiring most/all of the ADA class that will be starting in the fall.
Hi,

I received and accepted an offer from the DA's office in late October. I applied in late July, had my first round interview in mid-August, my first panel interview in early September, my second panel interview in early-October, and received the offer on October 26th.

The office had only two days worth of second panel interviews. My final panel interview lasted 40 minutes so I am guessing they met with 10-15 people each day. Perhaps they want a larger class this year so they will do another round of hires? This is all speculation though and I hope it was helpful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:12 pm

Snail mail ding from Brooklyn. Had a 2nd round back in early November.

What a s***-show of a cycle it has been for me. I got an offer elsewhere (non-DA), so I can't complain too much. But, I felt great about my resume going in, and this has been awful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:28 am

BLS2018 wrote:
Hi,

I received and accepted an offer from the DA's office in late October. I applied in late July, had my first round interview in mid-August, my first panel interview in early September, my second panel interview in early-October, and received the offer on October 26th.

The office had only two days worth of second panel interviews. My final panel interview lasted 40 minutes so I am guessing they met with 10-15 people each day. Perhaps they want a larger class this year so they will do another round of hires? This is all speculation though and I hope it was helpful.
Does anyone have any experience with the interview process after Krasner was appointed?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BLS2018 wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with the interview process after Krasner was appointed?
I interviewed in December with the transition team, which was Krasner and four others. The interview lasted about 40-45 minutes. He told me I would get a decision "either way" in "early 2018." I haven't heard anything yet. Hope that's helpful.

Has anyone else gotten an offer from the Philly DA or had any response, aside from the poster above?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BLS2018 wrote:
Hi,

I interviewed in December with the transition team, which was Krasner and four others. The interview lasted about 40-45 minutes. He told me I would get a decision "either way" in "early 2018." I haven't heard anything yet. Hope that's helpful.

Has anyone else gotten an offer from the Philly DA or had any response, aside from the poster above?
Still waiting to hear from a 2nd round interview with the Law Division from October. I’m pretty sure 2nd round is the last for that division

hls1992

New

Post by hls1992 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear back from the Cook County State's Atty's Office?
I had a final round with Cook County first half of Jan., haven't heard.

Anyone still in waiting game with Brooklyn? I had a third round in Dec, haven't heard.

Was thinking to reach out to Cook County..

Anyone know which is a better office? Cook County or KCDA?

girlinthecity

New

Post by girlinthecity » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:36 pm

Congrats, everyone! Hope to join you guys at any of the NY DA's offices in a few years :)

Can anyone here speak to the hiring practices/probability of being hired for someone who clerks for a year or two before applying?

aart3698!

New

Post by aart3698! » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:21 pm

girlinthecity wrote:Congrats, everyone! Hope to join you guys at any of the NY DA's offices in a few years :)

Can anyone here speak to the hiring practices/probability of being hired for someone who clerks for a year or two before applying?

I think most like it, federal or state. But doesn't help too much. Some interviewers may even make a point that because you clerked doesn't make you better than anyone else. And its so interview centric that it really just gets you a first round nothing more. And from there it depends how you sell it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:48 pm

Does anyone have insight on if the District Attorney's Offices in Washington prefer Seattle University grads? It seems like there's a very high percentage of positions filled by Seattle University grads in King, Pierce, and Snohomish County (especially in recent hires compared to University of Washington, Gonzaga grads). Thanks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BLS2018 wrote:
Hi,

Did you, or anyone else, hear back yet?

I applied in late-December and haven't heard a thing. I'm a little surprised since I thought my qualifications were at least sufficient to land an interview.

Edited: Should be noted that I'm 2-3 years out of law school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BLS2018 wrote:
Hi,

I applied in late-December and haven't heard a thing. I'm a little surprised since I thought my qualifications were at least sufficient to land an interview.

I applied via the transition website in Dec., then interviewed and received an offer in approx. March.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BLS2018 wrote:
Hi,

I applied via the transition website in Dec., then interviewed and received an offer in approx. March.
When was your interview? And are you a 3L or law grad?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BLS2018 wrote:
Hi,

When was your interview? And are you a 3L or law grad?

I'm a law grad. My interview was in early March.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:37 am

Anyone here accept an offer from DANY? If so, have you heard anything since accepting your offer? I haven't heard anything since I accepted...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BLS2018 wrote:
Hi,

Same, except I interviewed and got my offer in February (for the trial division). Also a law grad, not a law student.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Same, except I interviewed and got my offer in February (for the trial division). Also a law grad, not a law student.
What were your guys’ stats/post grad work experience?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone here accept an offer from DANY? If so, have you heard anything since accepting your offer? I haven't heard anything since I accepted...
I accepted an offer a few months ago and also haven't heard anything since then. I'm assuming HR will probably wait to send information out until the summer when all the offers are finalized?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone here accept an offer from DANY? If so, have you heard anything since accepting your offer? I haven't heard anything since I accepted...
I accepted an offer a few months ago and also haven't heard anything since then. I'm assuming HR will probably wait to send information out until the summer when all the offers are finalized?
HR sent an email this morning. General new hire forms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
HR sent an email today.

truckstop

New

Post by truckstop » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What were your guys’ stats/post grad work experience?
That post was me. Send me a message and I can try to answer any questions you have.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”