District Attorney's Offices 2018 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorney's Offices 2018

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:11 pm

Has anyone heard anything from Philly? I emailed them after the election to get clarification on what was going to happen going forward but haven't heard a single thing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:15 pm

I was dinged from them about a month ago via snail mail.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:46 pm

Longshot, but does anyone know the interview process for the D.C. Office of the Attorney General criminal section? I had a panel recently and was curious how they send out offers or rejections (if at all).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:01 pm

Does DANY ding via email or snail mail?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything from Philly? I emailed them after the election to get clarification on what was going to happen going forward but haven't heard a single thing.
Philly just put up a new job posting on my school's Symplicity indicating that they're going to start doing another hiring round soon, including current 3Ls and junior attorneys. I would imagine they're gonna start after Krasner is installed and he fires all of the supervisors.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does DANY ding via email or snail mail?
Email with an attached pdf. The email itself doesn't say you were rejected. You have to open the letter. Kinda obnoxious.

I got the email when I was on the subway, and I spent the next 10 minutes trying to open the pdf to see what it said...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything from Philly? I emailed them after the election to get clarification on what was going to happen going forward but haven't heard a single thing.
Philly just put up a new job posting on my school's Symplicity indicating that they're going to start doing another hiring round soon, including current 3Ls and junior attorneys. I would imagine they're gonna start after Krasner is installed and he fires all of the supervisors.
They have resume collections posted on his transition website (not sure how normal this is for DA's tbh): http://jobs.krasnertransition.com/
Can't hurt for people to apply there even if you already applied/interviewed the more 'traditional' way. I have a strong suspicion the hiring done won't be very normal anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:02 pm

Wow, this topic died. Have things been slow, or are people just not posting?

Anyone heard from Suffolk (NY) about a 1st round?

Also, anyone interviewing with Clark County (NV) next week?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wow, this topic died. Have things been slow, or are people just not posting?

For what it's worth, I know Brooklyn is still going through the hiring process. They are notoriously slow. So if you have gotten dinged/ghosted from everyone, take heart that Brooklyn probably has a lot of spots to still fill.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all,

Does anyone know what the background investigation process is like for the NY DA's office? I am a biglaw associate planning to apply, but I smoked some weed in the past (nothing since being admitted to the bar). I was wondering if that's something that has to be disclosed and if it is likely to result in a failed background investigation. I just don't want to go through the process and, if I'm lucky enough to get an offer, lose an offer because of my past drug use.

Character and fitness is stricter. You'll be fine.

Just a headsup though, make sure you disclose your application if you serving on a jury.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wow, this topic died. Have things been slow, or are people just not posting?

For what it's worth, I know Brooklyn is still going through the hiring process. They are notoriously slow. So if you have gotten dinged/ghosted from everyone, take heart that Brooklyn probably has a lot of spots to still fill.

Brooklyn has yet to reject me from the 2015/16 cycle.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi all,

Does anyone know what the background investigation process is like for the NY DA's office? I am a biglaw associate planning to apply, but I smoked some weed in the past (nothing since being admitted to the bar). I was wondering if that's something that has to be disclosed and if it is likely to result in a failed background investigation. I just don't want to go through the process and, if I'm lucky enough to get an offer, lose an offer because of my past drug use.

Character and fitness is stricter. You'll be fine.

Just a headsup though, make sure you disclose your application if you serving on a jury.

iunderstoodthatreference.jpg

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:18 pm

http://6abc.com/politics/dozens-of-pros ... e/2867602/

Why I was saying Philly wouldn't be hiring until after the new DA came in...

That said, I guess if you're looking for a job they'll have a lot of openings?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:http://6abc.com/politics/dozens-of-pros ... e/2867602/

As far as we are aware no offers have yet to come out of Philly?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:http://6abc.com/politics/dozens-of-pros ... e/2867602/

As far as we are aware no offers have yet to come out of Philly?
I know there’s been hiring to fill the supervisory/experienced attorney vacancies, but I’ve heard nothing re: the 3Ls and recent grads who’ve applied.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:28 pm

Anyone have any advice regarding applying to any of the NYC DA offices while clerking? Is it the same 3 or 4 rounds of interviews, or is it different for current clerks?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any advice regarding applying to any of the NYC DA offices while clerking? Is it the same 3 or 4 rounds of interviews, or is it different for current clerks?
It depends. I applied to NYC DA Offices as a 3L and while clerking. DANY gives you one shot. I interned for them in law school and interviewed as a 3L. I applied again while clerking and got dinged without an interview.

Bronx I applied and got to round 1 as a 3L and to round 2 as a clerk. However, this was with a different DA than there is now.

Brooklyn, my interview went so terribly 3L I didn't even get dinged as a clerk, still waiting for that interview/letter...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:17 am

York County Pennsylvania Position Title: Trial Deputy Prosecutor

Resumes may be sent to my attention at kgking@yorkcountypa.gov, or District Attorney’s Office; Attn: Kyle King; 45 N. George St. York, PA 17401. Our office will be accepting resumes for the next 30 days.

POSITION SUMMARY

Trial Teams are one the two primary categories of prosecution unit in the District Attorney's Office, and Trial Deputy Prosecutors are the first-line attorneys charged with completing the mission of those teams. First and foremost, a Trial Deputy is in fact a trial attorney, and as such must possess superior analytical abilities, excellent communication skills, a thorough comprehension of the current state of the law, and a commanding persona in the courtroom.

Under the direct supervision of a Senior Deputy District Attorney, the Trial Deputy is responsible for the prosecution of all types of criminal offenses and handles all phases of those prosecutions from pre-arrest investigation through post-sentencing appeals. The Trial Deputy evaluates the merits of each assigned case, taking into consideration the scarcity of resources, strength of the evidence, relative severity of the crime and its impact on the victim and the community, and special policy considerations as they apply to each case. This position reports directly to a Senior Deputy Prosecutor, and acts by virtue of authority delegated by the Senior Deputy.

A Trial Deputy Prosecutor must be a licensed attorney, admitted to practice law in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES

A. Represent the District Attorney’s Office in the adult and juvenile York County Treatment Courts.

B. Assist in reviewing all potential Treatment Court participants for program eligibility and reduction of offenses upon a participant’s successful graduation from Treatment Court.

C. Coordinate activities with District Attorney’s Office support staff personnel, Case Manager and Victim/Witness Coordinator assigned to assist with Treatment Courts.

D. Communicate Treatment Court related activities with law enforcement and the County Detectives.

E. Attend Treatment Court staffing sessions with Treatment Court team and actively participate in the staffing of Treatment Court cases.

F. Interact with the Treatment Court team in a positive manner to address revocations, pleas, and application of sanctions and incentives as they apply to the Treatment Court participant.

G. Assess and recommend sentencing alternatives related to Treatment Courts aimed at reducing recidivism, such as County and State Intermediate Punishment initiatives.

H. Be proficient in the best practice standards governing all Treatment Courts and remain well-versed in all data and literature concerning Treatment Courts and initiatives aimed at reducing recidivism.

I. At the discretion of the District Attorney, serve on committees and other activities concerning Treatment Courts and sentencing initiatives.

J. Participate in Trial Team meetings and prepare minutes for review by Senior Management.[/size][/size]

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:07 pm

Has anyone heard from Nassau? Does anyone know if they send rejections via paper mail or email?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Nassau?
I know several people who got offers back in October/November.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Nassau?
I know several people who got offers back in October/November.
Do you know if they send rejections via paper mail or email? And (I know this is paranoid) if I called to check on the status of an app that was rejected they would not tell you over the phone, they would wait until you got a letter right?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

For what it's worth, I know Brooklyn is still going through the hiring process. They are notoriously slow. So if you have gotten dinged/ghosted from everyone, take heart that Brooklyn probably has a lot of spots to still fill."

--
1. I have to agree this thread is (more often than not) dead. Look at how many pages of comments there were this time in previous years compared to now and it's shocking. Shocking! I too wonder whether that's because slow, people not posting, other reasons, all of the above, etc. Maybe none of us can really know? Maybe the answer doesn't matter?
2. Curious to Anon above how you "know" Brooklyn still going through hiring? I don't doubt you (I assume every major city/office/borough is still hiring to some extent, from what I understand Jan. sadly is still early), just curious if you have direct knowledge vs. what BK or any office is known for doing in past years?
3. Anyone know what's going on with Manhattan DA or heard of anyone who has been hired there? I've heard outside this board of multiple of their interns from last summer getting rejected, and looks like there's some former Manhattan interns on here who got dinged this year or previous years or both (I once heard they're known for taking less of their summer interns than other offices but I have no idea if true). For anyone this applies to, I feel for you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

For what it's worth, I know Brooklyn is still going through the hiring process. They are notoriously slow. So if you have gotten dinged/ghosted from everyone, take heart that Brooklyn probably has a lot of spots to still fill."

--
1. I have to agree this thread is (more often than not) dead. Look at how many pages of comments there were this time in previous years compared to now and it's shocking. Shocking! I too wonder whether that's because slow, people not posting, other reasons, all of the above, etc. Maybe none of us can really know? Maybe the answer doesn't matter?
2. Curious to Anon above how you "know" Brooklyn still going through hiring? I don't doubt you (I assume every major city/office/borough is still hiring to some extent, from what I understand Jan. sadly is still early), just curious if you have direct knowledge vs. what BK or any office is known for doing in past years?
3. Anyone know what's going on with Manhattan DA or heard of anyone who has been hired there? I've heard outside this board of multiple of their interns from last summer getting rejected, and looks like there's some former Manhattan interns on here who got dinged this year or previous years or both (I once heard they're known for taking less of their summer interns than other offices but I have no idea if true). For anyone this applies to, I feel for you.
A person would know Brooklyn is hiring if they had applied to KCDA, interviewed with them, accepted somewhere else, and then KCDA asked them for a third round. Yes, Brooklyn is slow. All the ADAs at KCDA complain about the legal hiring "team". All the people who go through the process know how slow it is. This means that all the candidates denied or slow-walked by other offices end up in Brooklyn. NYDA, BXDA, QCDA all hire before, so they get the best. Senior KCDA ADAs are great. But the last 3 or so KCDA classes are ADA applicant's pulled from the bottom of the barrel (or they are summers who got to interview early). So KCDA classes are pretty bimodal, made up of either the summers or the bottoms.

The director of legal hiring came in under Johnson's admin because he worked on the campaign. Hopefully the new DA will clean up this mess of a team by the time the next cycle starts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote: 3. Anyone know what's going on with Manhattan DA or heard of anyone who has been hired there? I've heard outside this board of multiple of their interns from last summer getting rejected, and looks like there's some former Manhattan interns on here who got dinged this year or previous years or both (I once heard they're known for taking less of their summer interns than other offices but I have no idea if true). For anyone this applies to, I feel for you.
I'm top-third at a T14 with multiple DA internships and lots of crim coursework, and I didn't even get a 2nd round.

I know two people who got to a 3rd round (both T14 non-interns). Both accepted offers somewhere else, and withdrew before they got a decision.

All anecdotal, but maybe they are hiring a smaller class this year (or focusing on people with certain backgrounds).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote: The director of legal hiring came in under Thompson''s admin because he worked on the campaign. Hopefully the new DA will clean up this mess of a team by the time the next cycle starts.
Been tracking NYC DA office hiring for a while.

I think the biggest issue was that the WMJ inherited a pretty defunct process driven by the Hynes political machine that got away with offering new hires the lowest starting salary in the city. Traditionally, QCDA was generally the slowest prior to WMJ.

The next issue I think is his lack of legal hiring experience before KCDA. He just looked at DANY and thought, "We can do that!" In addition to adding another interview round (like DANY), he focused wayyy to much on "poaching" their hires, both in 2L summer hiring and in 3L prebar hiring. One, as if many applied to offices other than DANY, California, Illinois, DOJ, Clerkship, or two, even if they did, they would even start at KCDA with the lower salary. Plenty of people at my LS only OCI'ed with DANY.

The idea that the 2L summers got a head start is also a bit flaky. Yeah, they got to skip OCI, but they still would have to wait for a panel to open up. Meanwhile, KCDA is filling up open panels with outside DANY target "poaches" and every other office is picking up their slack.

I worked for KCDA throughout law school, gunned for them, told them, and expected at least a full interview cycle. Instead, while KCDA sat on their hands, one of the other offices saw my experience and poached me early in the cycle with a better offer, knowing full well I was eyeing KCDA. The senior KCDA people I worked with were dumbstruck by it all.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”