District Attorney's Offices 2018 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorney's Offices 2018

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Looks like Gonzalez is going to get re-elected pretty easily. Good news for us.

Not surprising, as the other candidates were mostly a clown-show.
just curious, but why is gonzalez getting reelected good news for us?
New DA might nix the incoming class. It's happened before. Gonzalez staying in means stability.

Also, as I said, most of the other candidates are f***ing awful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Heard from a source in the know (one of the top ADAs in an NYC borough) that hiring classes for this year are going to be larger than usual (130 for Bronx, 100 for Kings, 70 for Manhattan, though fewer (~20) for Queens).

Take that for what it's worth. Curious if anyone else has heard something similar. I know Bronx was expected to have another big class.
Not sure if the office recently changed course, but BXDA from what I was told was hiring only a class of 50 for next year. I interned there over the summer.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Looks like Gonzalez is going to get re-elected pretty easily. Good news for us.

Not surprising, as the other candidates were mostly a clown-show.
just curious, but why is gonzalez getting reelected good news for us?
New DA might nix the incoming class. It's happened before. Gonzalez staying in means stability.

Also, as I said, most of the other candidates are f***ing awful.
To clarify, its immediately more good news for the incoming C/O 2017. It's good news for C/O 2018 in that its likely their hiring practice will remain the same as previous years. When Charles Hynes (incumbent) was defeated by Kenneth Thompson in 2013, a lot of the new hires that were scheduled to start working had their offers rescinded.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:33 pm

How many rounds does Brooklyn have? I looked on their site, but I don't see anything.

I presume 1) OCI/Screener, 2) Panel. But then what? Another panel then the DA or does it go straight to the DA after that?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How many rounds does Brooklyn have? I looked on their site, but I don't see anything.

I presume 1) OCI/Screener, 2) Panel. But then what? Another panel then the DA or does it go straight to the DA after that?
4 rounds, screener, panel, second panel with attorneys a little higher up, final interview w/ da

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:48 am

Is there a typical timeline for hearing back after OCI screeners? I had 3 last week, and a 4th coming up this week (the 4 being the 4 big NYC offices).

Also, how much flexibility do you get for scheduling 2nd round interviews?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:03 am

I've had three interviews with Bronx, Brooklyn and Manhattan scheduled.

Second round with Bronx and Brooklyn scheduled. I heard back from Brooklyn about 2-3 weeks and Bronx like 3-4 weeks.

Waiting for first round with Manhattan.

No flexibility for me at least. They basically offered me the next available date. Nothing sooner.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:25 am

Is it proper to send an email or call Bronx, and Brooklyn to ask about application? Have not heard anything and I applied almost a month ago. It is confusing because I have an interview with DANY.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it proper to send an email or call Bronx, and Brooklyn to ask about application? Have not heard anything and I applied almost a month ago. It is confusing because I have an interview with DANY.

i would say not too at this point, a month is still pretty short turnaround...i guess it doesn't hurt to send a quick email to hr, but it won't help you at all this early i don't think.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:58 am

Anyone have any advice for second round with Bronx and Brookyln?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:09 am

how soon after you all applied did you hear from DANY?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:53 pm

I applied and then about 4 weeks later got a call to schedule an interview, which was scheduled a few weeks later.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it proper to send an email or call Bronx, and Brooklyn to ask about application? Have not heard anything and I applied almost a month ago. It is confusing because I have an interview with DANY.
They're probably not going to expedite unless you have an offer, so while it may not hurt you to shoot them an email now, you probably won't get any useful information, or get them to review your app faster, without an offer. I'd just sit tight and wait.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:02 am

Maybe an impossible question to answer, but how do screeners operate? Is it just a chance to weed-out borderline candidates and people with terrible personalities? If you have a good/great resume, but just a mediocre interview, will they still give you a shot at the 2nd round?

3/4 of my screeners went well, but the last one was odd. I had interned there during the school year, so I didn't really have any questions. The interviewer just asked me a couple basic questions about my resume. I was out of there in ~8 minutes.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:Maybe an impossible question to answer, but how do screeners operate? Is it just a chance to weed-out borderline candidates and people with terrible personalities? If you have a good/great resume, but just a mediocre interview, will they still give you a shot at the 2nd round?

3/4 of my screeners went well, but the last one was odd. I had interned there during the school year, so I didn't really have any questions. The interviewer just asked me a couple basic questions about my resume. I was out of there in ~8 minutes.

Should be fine if you interned there. A lot of offices will automatically advance you to the second round if you're a previous intern and left a good impression. If you didn't leave a good impression, then you couldn't have saved it in the screener interview anyway. Basically, the decision of whether to advance you to round 2 was probably decided before your interview.

Even then, I had an interview with one particular office that I didn't intern at, and the interview was similar to yours but I still advanced to round 2.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:45 pm

What do you think is more valuable?

A state trial court clerkship followed by county prosecutor/State AG position OR the Manhattan DA?

Long term I want to be a prosecutor leading complex white collar criminal investigations.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What do you think is more valuable?

A state trial court clerkship followed by county prosecutor/State AG position OR the Manhattan DA?

Long term I want to be a prosecutor leading complex white collar criminal investigations.
It can take a long time to get into white collar work in DANY (and it can be quite competitive once in DANY to get into the white collar work). Idk if you mean NY clerk to NYAG or doing this in NJ/CT, but AGs will likely get you more substantive work. DANY does not really do anywhere near the size of cases that a state AG/USAs/or the SEC might do. I'd say start in bigger offices doing bigger cases. DANY would have you stuck in misdemeanor land for a long time.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:39 pm

So what do folks get out of DANY?

I’m thinking more along the lines of NJ state trial court clerkship that leads to county prosecutor or state AG.

Why is DANY so prestigious if all you do is get stuck? How do you advance your career? I care less about location and more about just advancing my career and having choices

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:44 am

By the way, those of you applying to Suffolk County, NY -- Spota is not running for re-election this year, and so a new DA will be elected in November. Factor that in to your decisionmaking (although when I applied, Suffolk didn't schedule me for an interview until January).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So what do folks get out of DANY?

I’m thinking more along the lines of NJ state trial court clerkship that leads to county prosecutor or state AG.

Why is DANY so prestigious if all you do is get stuck? How do you advance your career? I care less about location and more about just advancing my career and having choices
Folks get a lot out of DANY, but if you want just white collar work (which is a vague term), there might be better ways to reach that goal. At DANY, you start in either a trial unit (most likely), appeals, or narcotics. You will spend the first several years doing ECAB, arraignments, staffing AP parts, and misdemeanor cases. It will take awhile for you to get low level felony trials. It would be a very long process until you get to even transfer to a unit that handles white collar work. At that point, assuming you get into it, you then have to work your way up in that unit. Plus, DANY does not even do that large of white collar cases. You could see white collar work faster in other places. I know NYC better than NJ, but the NJ path you describe, from clerk to AG, to perhaps AUSA, moves a lot faster than climbing the rungs at DANY to only get smaller white collar cases.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:31 pm

What is you are reapplying to an office after a couple of years (1-2)?
I was an intern an queens in summer 2016..... will I have to do the first round again (I got a good review)?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:32 pm

any update about offers for the spring class for Queens DA (NYC)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Folks get a lot out of DANY, but if you want just white collar work (which is a vague term), there might be better ways to reach that goal. At DANY, you start in either a trial unit (most likely), appeals, or narcotics. You will spend the first several years doing ECAB, arraignments, staffing AP parts, and misdemeanor cases. It will take awhile for you to get low level felony trials. It would be a very long process until you get to even transfer to a unit that handles white collar work. At that point, assuming you get into it, you then have to work your way up in that unit. Plus, DANY does not even do that large of white collar cases. You could see white collar work faster in other places. I know NYC better than NJ, but the NJ path you describe, from clerk to AG, to perhaps AUSA, moves a lot faster than climbing the rungs at DANY to only get smaller white collar cases.
Thanks this is very helpful. Where would you say people generally go after DANY? And how long do people stay?

I’m torn between doing an NJ clerkship followed by county prosecutors or state AG or DANY/KCDA. What would be better for my career long term? I’m not tied to white collar, but it’s an area of interest among other things.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks this is very helpful. Where would you say people generally go after DANY? And how long do people stay?

I’m torn between doing an NJ clerkship followed by county prosecutors or state AG or DANY/KCDA. What would be better for my career long term? I’m not tied to white collar, but it’s an area of interest among other things.
You can do both. Clerk, then think about your options more. It is fine to clerk then apply to DANY and KCDA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You can do both. Clerk, then think about your options more. It is fine to clerk then apply to DANY and KCDA.
I'm eerily in the exact same boat as you anon. DANY told me it would take at a minimum 4-6 years of experience in its office before you could even transfer to one of its white-collar related investigations divisions (assuming there's even an opening, which you'd have to apply to separately). I think the NJ clerkship --> state AG/NJ bureau of securities route is the quickest and most logical path to your goal, but if geography matters more to you, then I'd keep on trying with DANY and KCDA. A NJ state clerkship will not hurt your chances of getting DANY and KCDA afterwards, but it really won't help you either since you can become an ADA in one of those offices without that experience. If anything, it's just delaying your eventual career path.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”