Can someone tell me what this email means Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Can someone tell me what this email means

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:53 pm

I interviewed with this firm at OCI and just received an email that included this sentence:

We are currently in the process of reviewing your application and you should expect to hear from a recruiting contact in the coming weeks. Thank you for applying and we look forward to speaking with you further.

Can anyone tell me what this means? Is it like a waitlist? Should I email them back reaffirming my interest?

FSK

Platinum

Re: Can someone tell me what this email means

Post by FSK » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:58 pm

Probably a ding. Move on
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:59 pm

Probably means exactly what they said - they'll reach out if they like what they see. If I were you I wouldn't respond and just continue what I was doing (mass mail, prep for other CBs etc).

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:59 pm

Stop reading tea leaves, keep mass mailing.

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Post by Roy McAvoy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:13 pm

When did you interview?

This morning? Sit tight. Last Tuesday? Probably a ding. Either way there's nothing you can do. Focus on the interviews you have coming up and keep mass mailing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

byrdscales

New

Post by byrdscales » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:17 pm

Means you're a maybe. They're interviewing other people and depending on how many offers they make, and how many answers they get, they'll either invite you around for a cb or ding you.

At least that's what it would mean at my firm.

sharkliz

New

Post by sharkliz » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:19 pm

Perkins Coie?
Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with this firm at OCI and just received an email that included this sentence:

We are currently in the process of reviewing your application and you should expect to hear from a recruiting contact in the coming weeks. Thank you for applying and we look forward to speaking with you further.

Can anyone tell me what this means? Is it like a waitlist? Should I email them back reaffirming my interest?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with this firm at OCI and just received an email that included this sentence:

Yeah, it's probably like a waitlist. As with law school admissions, getting put on a "waitlist" at a firm usually means that things aren't going to work out for you. But a brief reply expressing interest wouldn't hurt.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:39 am

I received the same exact email from Perkins Coie, I'm assuming that it means their hiring committee hasn't met yet so they can't give you a response.

In the past people complained about their recruitment department not being responsive so this is probably just their way of trying to be more courteous.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:52 am

I also got that email the same day OP did and haven't heard anything else from them. I got a similar email (different firm) a few days after a callback that said something like "we're still reviewing your application, let us know if you have any impending offer deadlines." Is this also a likely ding/waitlist?

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:09 am

Anything that is not an explicit offer is not an offer. Anything that is not an explicit rejection is not a rejection. For any other kind of communication, send a very short email thanking them for their communication and confirming interest, and continue applying elsewhere until you have an offer that you're satisfied with.

I can't think of any exceptions to this rule.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:56 am

... but what were the initials of your interviewer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I also got that email the same day OP did and haven't heard anything else from them. I got a similar email (different firm) a few days after a callback that said something like "we're still reviewing your application, let us know if you have any impending offer deadlines." Is this also a likely ding/waitlist?
the second, post-CB email (not the one OP is talking about) is 100% a waitlist. This is how I got my offer at the firm I work at right now. I suggest keeping in contact with the firm and telling them about deadlines (unless you've already gotten an offer from someplace you'd rather go)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:11 pm

Op here.

In case anyone was wondering/for future reference, I ended up getting a callback from this firm later that night.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Op here.

In case anyone was wondering/for future reference, I ended up getting a callback from this firm later that night.
congrats OP! crush that CB. let em know how well you can law.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”