CA OCI Callbacks/Offers/Dings Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: CA OCI Callbacks/Offers/Dings Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:15 pm

I saw a bunch of Orrick posts and offers. Am I SOL if I haven't heard or I am on a temporary "waitlist"?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:15 pm

Checking in about Morgan Lewis LA. Had my callback. Wondering if any offers have been extended/how long is the wait?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:19 pm

Has Orrick LA made offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:24 pm

No idea about Orrick Los Angeles, but I know Orrick SF has

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would it be worth it for me if it's coming up on a week to email the recruiter @ Milbank and say it's my top choice ?
Can't hurt. Not sure if it will move the needle, but it can't hurt. We've had a stronger than normal recruiting class this fall with much higher numbers. I think people are finally taking note of our PF and restructuring groups.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:27 pm

@ Milbank associate who has been posting: Do numbers matter this point at the CB stage? Or is it just more about fit?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:@ Milbank associate who has been posting: Do numbers matter this point at the CB stage? Or is it just more about fit?
Mostly fit. Numbers got you in the door. If you want to do PF, we want to know that you have an interest in it. Otherwise we just want to make sure you fit in with the Chillbank mentality.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:33 pm

Hi, just jumping into this now. Is the hiring committee for Milbank meeting multiple times a week? Is the school you come from taken into consideration? What about people you may know at the firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi, just jumping into this now. Is the hiring committee for Milbank meeting multiple times a week? Is the school you come from taken into consideration? What about people you may know at the firm?
Let's not try to read the tea leaves too much. If it's past a week, I'd say it's time to move on.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:37 pm

@milbank associate: is two UCI students getting offers unlikely? It's definitely my top choice firm but I doubt two of us will get an offer.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:@milbank associate: is two UCI students getting offers unlikely? It's definitely my top choice firm but I doubt two of us will get an offer.
Whats with all the milbank attention?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:40 pm

Same question for the Milbank associate. How likely it is it that the firm extends offers to 2 people from the same school?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Same question for the Milbank associate. How likely it is it that the firm extends offers to 2 people from the same school?
I think it has to do with our PF and restructuring groups -- and maybe corporate too after the UFC deal last year. We've always been a good firm in LA, just dwarfed by the size of Gibson, Skadden, and LW.

We often have multiple people from the same school in one class--Boalt, UCLA, USC, UCI, GW. It happens.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:46 pm

Got it Thanks!

Is GW = George Washington?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got it Thanks!

Is GW = George Washington?
Georgetown. Sorry.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Same question for the Milbank associate. How likely it is it that the firm extends offers to 2 people from the same school?
I think it has to do with our PF and restructuring groups -- and maybe corporate too after the UFC deal last year. We've always been a good firm in LA, just dwarfed by the size of Gibson, Skadden, and LW.

We often have multiple people from the same school in one class--Boalt, UCLA, USC, UCI, GW. It happens.
Other Milbank anon here. Agree with everything my colleague has said. We certainly have had 2 summers from the same school before. If you got a callback, it's mostly all about fit rather than grades. I think there is a bit more focus on candidates' stated practice group preferences this year, because although we still rotate summers through 3 practice groups, next summer there will be 5 available practice group rotations to choose from rather than the standard 3 in previous years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:55 pm

Do you know which practice group was most stated? Sorry, just felt a fit at MB way beyond any other firm... but losing hope

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:57 pm

Agreed! I would definitely like to know what is the most popular practice group. I am interested in Lit, with PF second.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you know which practice group was most stated? Sorry, just felt a fit at MB way beyond any other firm... but losing hope
I think PF and corporate were equally stated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:00 pm

When do rejections go out :cry:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:00 pm

What about litigation for Milbank??

Also updates for any other firms?? Desperate here!!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do you know which practice group was most stated? Sorry, just felt a fit at MB way beyond any other firm... but losing hope
We're still doing callbacks this week with UCLA, NYU and Stanford (maybe others too). There are still offers to go out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Agreed. Also, when I say stated practice group preferences matter a bit more this year, it's more than just stating a preference. Saying I want to do PF just because we have the best PF group in the world is different than saying I want to do PF because I have a genuine interest in renewable energy and have read/done/studied X, Y and Z.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Agreed. Also, when I say stated practice group preferences matter a bit more this year, it's more than just stating a preference. Saying I want to do PF just because we have the best PF group in the world is different than saying I want to do PF because I have a genuine interest in renewable energy and have read/done/studied X, Y and Z.
Agreed. And we definitely had a few people who stated that they wanted to do PF who had worked in energy in some capacity either during or prior to law school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:10 pm

Any post-cb movement for Jones Day SV/SF offices?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”