Be very wary of Cadwalader (NYC) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Be very wary of Cadwalader (NYC)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:33 am

Former c/o 2014/2015 associate here. Many of the horror stories you hear are true. The firm has a reputation for a reason and if you speak to anyone in the legal field they all know how this place treats its associates. Most bring it up unprompted. The firm has a toxic environment, high associate attrition rate, little to no training and mentorship and utter disregard for its juniors. It's a miserable place. The turnover rate is astounding and despite the firm's commitment to changing, all the same partners and strategies remain intact. This is all lip service. The firm made a decision long ago to place the bottom line over everything and to be a shark tank that views juniors as disposable billing cogs.

The summer classes keep getting smaller, the D.C. office no longer has a summer program and a very large portion of the 2016 summer class did not even return. The firm had to bring in a bunch of recent grads to fill the first year ranks. The 2016 associates who did return have also left in record numbers and two were already fired. These are already small classes to begin with and the firm is forced to fill its summer classes with SAs from lower ranked schools.

Multiple offices have been shut down over the past year, entire practice groups have left and the firm doesn't really know what it wants to be, besides a sweatshop. Think very long and hard before accepting an offer and only take it if you have no other options. Lateralling was the best decision I ever made and my former CWT colleagues share this sentiment. The differences between the place I am at and CWT is like night and day. I am happy to be honest and answer any questions. But I felt a duty to make this thread to warn others.

Good luck during OCI. People's experiences matter and talk to as many people as you can. You don't know more than people who have worked at these places and don't just sheepishly believe what recruiting tells you.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Be very wary of Cadwalader (NYC)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Former c/o 2014/2015 associate here. Many of the horror stories you hear are true. The firm has a reputation for a reason and if you speak to anyone in the legal field they all know how this place treats its associates. Most bring it up unprompted. The firm has a toxic environment, high associate attrition rate, little to no training and mentorship and utter disregard for its juniors. It's a miserable place. The turnover rate is astounding and despite the firm's commitment to changing, all the same partners and strategies remain intact. This is all lip service. The firm made a decision long ago to place the bottom line over everything and to be a shark tank that views juniors as disposable billing cogs.

The summer classes keep getting smaller, the D.C. office no longer has a summer program and a very large portion of the 2016 summer class did not even return. The firm had to bring in a bunch of recent grads to fill the first year ranks. The 2016 associates who did return have also left in record numbers and two were already fired. These are already small classes to begin with and the firm is forced to fill its summer classes with SAs from lower ranked schools.

Multiple offices have been shut down over the past year, entire practice groups have left and the firm doesn't really know what it wants to be, besides a sweatshop. Think very long and hard before accepting an offer and only take it if you have no other options. Lateralling was the best decision I ever made and my former CWT colleagues share this sentiment. The differences between the place I am at and CWT is like night and day. I am happy to be honest and answer any questions. But I felt a duty to make this thread to warn others.

Good luck during OCI. People's experiences matter and talk to as many people as you can. You don't know more than people who have worked at these places and don't just sheepishly believe what recruiting tells you.
Mostly I want to know where you are now

Edit: and if u are hiring
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:51 am

Went to a V30. Every recruiter I spoke to brought up how miserable Cadwalader is and like I said, this was usually before I told them I was unhappy.

Will not go into more detail about my current firm but will answer questions about what to look for or CWT.

PotatoSalad

New

Post by PotatoSalad » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:19 pm

Does it apply to all practice groups? Is it partner dependent and it just so happens there are a bunch of bad eggs?

In 2016 they named 10 new partners, up from 5 in 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015. This seems like a shift to expand the relatively small partnership, does it mean anything to you having had worked there?
Last edited by QContinuum on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Former c/o 2014/2015 associate here. Many of the horror stories you hear are true. The firm has a reputation for a reason and if you speak to anyone in the legal field they all know how this place treats its associates. Most bring it up unprompted. The firm has a toxic environment, high associate attrition rate, little to no training and mentorship and utter disregard for its juniors. It's a miserable place. The turnover rate is astounding and despite the firm's commitment to changing, all the same partners and strategies remain intact. This is all lip service. The firm made a decision long ago to place the bottom line over everything and to be a shark tank that views juniors as disposable billing cogs.

This makes my OCI interview for their DC office even more awkward now...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:24 pm

Not OP, but want to mention that one of my observations confirms something OP said, that Cadwaladar seems to hire recent grads to fill its ranks. I know a few people who didnt have 2L SAs but landed biglaw at Cadwaladar post grad. I guess it's not the place to be if you have options...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does it apply to all practice groups? Is it partner dependent and it just so happens there are a bunch of bad eggs?

In 2016 they named 10 new partners, up from 5 in 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015. This seems like a shift to expand the relatively small partnership, does it mean anything to you having had worked there?
OP here. Yes, it applies to most practice groups, specifically Cap Markets, Corporate and Financial Services. For the Corporate associates, the QOL has gotten even worse with the recent hiring of a young hot shot partner who basically runs the entire department and Cap Markets has always been known to be awful.

I have no idea if the partners are equity or non-equity, but it does not signal "growth" of any kind. All signs point to the exact opposite. For a firm like CWT to name more partners that hurts associates if things continue to swing down.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not OP, but want to mention that one of my observations confirms something OP said, that Cadwaladar seems to hire recent grads to fill its ranks. I know a few people who didnt have 2L SAs but landed biglaw at Cadwaladar post grad. I guess it's not the place to be if you have options...
Yep. A large chunk of a recent SA Class did not return and they had to fill the ranks with mostly non-T14 grads right before the first years started.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I would not accept a potential offer if you had other options and spoke frankly with people in that office and industry about the long-term viability of the DC office and its practice groups. I can't speak personally for the DC office but I know entire groups and partners have left that office and they stopped the summer program for a few years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kali the Annihilator

Platinum

Post by Kali the Annihilator » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:34 am

Cad had the same rep when I summered in 2012. Good to see they are consistent.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I would not accept a potential offer if you had other options and spoke frankly with people in that office and industry about the long-term viability of the DC office and its practice groups. I can't speak personally for the DC office but I know entire groups and partners have left that office and they stopped the summer program for a few years.
Last year they had OCI interviewers lined up at my t13 and cancelled the night before leaving a bunch of kids an empty interview slot. I can't believe they are bringing the DC program back.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:40 am

Kali the Annihilator wrote:Cad had the same rep when I summered in 2012. Good to see they are consistent.
Yep and if it is still around, people will say that five years from now. Old habits die hard.

Be very wary and skeptical when recruiting and people tell you things have "changed". If you must consider a CWT offer I implore you to take a second visit and see the office during the day. There is a reason they do lots of CBs in their big fancy conference rooms and lobby that are not on the office floors.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:42 am

sparkytrainer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Last year they had OCI interviewers lined up at my t13 and cancelled the night before leaving a bunch of kids an empty interview slot. I can't believe they are bringing the DC program back.
That is fucked up, but not surprising. Did not know that. The NYC summer class shrinks every year, so maybe they are making room for a couple of DC SAs to maintain save some face.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That is fucked up, but not surprising. Did not know that. The NYC summer class shrinks every year, so maybe they are making room for a couple of DC SAs to maintain save some face.
Yeah it was a really bad look. I actually know someone with an offer for NYC who didn't take it purely because of what they did with the DC program. I know in DC partners have been fleeing at almost the same rate as people fleeing the current administration. Both are sinking ships.

Pikachu0202

New

Post by Pikachu0202 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:58 am

sparkytrainer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah it was a really bad look. I actually know someone with an offer for NYC who didn't take it purely because of what they did with the DC program. I know in DC partners have been fleeing at almost the same rate as people fleeing the current administration. Both are sinking ships.
Thread should then have just been named Beware of Cadwalader. Not mention a specific office.
Last edited by QContinuum on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:28 pm

I am also a former Cad associate (NYC). I won't comment on DC since I've heard about their issues ... but not every experience at Cadwalader is miserable. I generally liked the people and loved going to work in a beautiful office every day. The administration was aware of the firm's reputation for being a sweatshop and actively tried to make things better for the associates. Granted, I may feel this way because my practice group was not as rough or over-worked as other groups (i.e. Capital Markets).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:52 pm

Yes but that seems to be the exception not the rule and a minority of outcomes for cad associates. There are deep institutional issues there. These steps to improve are more or less lip service. changing these issues that are firmly rooted within the firm and have been around for decades don't magically disappear with some new firm initiatives. The same partners, leaders and strategies are in place. Whenever I bring up that I was a Cad associate to fellow lawyers, they all comment on the firm and its reputation as one of the most miserable places to work in NYC. Old habits die hard and tangible evidence like the abnormally high associate attrition (look at laterally.com) and the vault/other surveys speak to that. (We were sent multiple emails to respond to the vault survey and give high ratings fyi)

Also, the firm's biggest departments that take the most first years are cap markets, corporate and financial services which are known to be the worst within the firm.

My point is that, yes there are exceptions but they mostly occur in the smaller groups that don't take many first year associates. Also, the firm has emphasized that it does not want to expand too much outside of cap markets and corporate and emphasize solely on those groups.

Talk to as many associates as you can before you accept an offer. Not just the ones interviewing you. I don't have an axe to grind. I made some friends, left on my own terms but I was incredibly miserable (as were many of my friends) during my time there. If I could go back and do it again I would most certainly not accept an offer. Most of the associates I worked with during my summer were already gone just a 1.5 year later. The firm will continue to treat its associates a certain way no matter how many new intitiaves they roll out.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:19 am

does this mean there's hope for a harvard grad who didn't get a callback for summer associate position? I'm only slightly kidding, because cadwalader does not offer callbacks to everyone who applies from HLS

Pikachu0202

New

Post by Pikachu0202 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:does this mean there's hope for a harvard grad who didn't get a callback for summer associate position? I'm only slightly kidding, because cadwalader does not offer callbacks to everyone who applies from HLS
You dodged a bullet
Last edited by QContinuum on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:16 pm

Former Cadwalader DC associate here. Please do not spread lies about our old firm.
The summer classes keep getting smaller, the D.C. office no longer has a summer program and a very large portion of the 2016 summer class did not even return. The firm had to bring in a bunch of recent grads to fill the first year ranks. The 2016 associates who did return have also left in record numbers and two were already fired.
This is untrue. The DC office does have a summer program, any 2016 summer not part of the practice group that moved got an offer to return and will, and the 2016 associates all returned save two: one moved with the practice group to another firm and another went to go clerk. The rest came back. The offices that shut down were in Asia, because they were branches to aid the DC practice group that left.

The reality is that the firm experienced some unanticipated departures and now everyone's making a big deal out of something that has happened to every other firm. (WSRG has taken a group from Sidley, Winston from McDermott, Quinn from Skadden, Holland & Knight from Jones Day -- it's part of the industry.) But that isn't to say that young associates shouldn't look forward to an amazing start to their career. I loved my time at CWT: there was good work, hands-on experience with drafting/filing and plenty of face time with partners. There was one partner who is brilliant, who has been at CWT his whole career, and who is without a doubt the nicest and most effective mentor I've ever had. Also, the current attorney resources department is top-notch. It's run by a former attorney who used to give us practical, useful advice whenever we asked for it. Even when I was lateraling (I left DC to go home to my family and SO) partners and associates were happy to call connections and former classmates on my behalf, and when I got my current job (V15 firm in my top choice market-- having partners calling on your behalf helps), they and staff threw me a goodbye party (or two). In short... don't listen to OP. I'm not sure why he's bitter at CWT, but his experience is likely personal.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Former Cadwalader DC associate here. Please do not spread lies about our old firm.
The summer classes keep getting smaller, the D.C. office no longer has a summer program and a very large portion of the 2016 summer class did not even return. The firm had to bring in a bunch of recent grads to fill the first year ranks. The 2016 associates who did return have also left in record numbers and two were already fired.
This is untrue. The DC office does have a summer program, any 2016 summer not part of the practice group that moved got an offer to return and will, and the 2016 associates all returned save two: one moved with the practice group to another firm and another went to go clerk. The rest came back. The offices that shut down were in Asia, because they were branches to aid the DC practice group that left.

The reality is that the firm experienced some unanticipated departures and now everyone's making a big deal out of something that has happened to every other firm. (WSRG has taken a group from Sidley, Winston from McDermott, Quinn from Skadden, Holland & Knight from Jones Day -- it's part of the industry.) But that isn't to say that young associates shouldn't look forward to an amazing start to their career. I loved my time at CWT: there was good work, hands-on experience with drafting/filing and plenty of face time with partners. There was one partner who is brilliant, who has been at CWT his whole career, and who is without a doubt the nicest and most effective mentor I've ever had. Also, the current attorney resources department is top-notch. It's run by a former attorney who used to give us practical, useful advice whenever we asked for it. Even when I was lateraling (I left DC to go home to my family and SO) partners and associates were happy to call connections and former classmates on my behalf, and when I got my current job (V15 firm in my top choice market-- having partners calling on your behalf helps), they and staff threw me a goodbye party (or two). In short... don't listen to OP. I'm not sure why he's bitter at CWT, but his experience is likely personal.

lol some parts of this sound like they were copy and pasted directly from the Cadwalader website

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Former Cadwalader DC associate here. Please do not spread lies about our old firm.

"a very large portion of the 2016 summer class did not even return. The firm had to bring in a bunch of recent grads to fill the first year ranks. The 2016 associates who did return have also left in record numbers and two were already fired." This was in reference to the NYC office and NYC SA class and nothing in my posting is a "lie". These claims are all documented on NALP, Laterally.com, Vault, etc. The DC office did recently cancel its summer program (I did not know it was brought back since I no longer work there).

The NYC office's SA class had lots of defections (it is a small class to begin with). The NYC SA class sizes when I started there ranged from 25-30, now there are only 20 SAs.

Also, note this another exception to the rule. This is a former associate from the DC office. My post was about the NYC office. If you summer at Cad NYC you will most likely not be one of these "exceptions". These feelings were shared by all of my friends, so I guess they took the firm's treatment of them "personally" too. Cad's reputation extends to its NYC office, I have also heard bad things from the Charlotte people. Once again, please look at the attrition numbers, surveys, office closings, departments fleeing, partners jumping ship, firm financials, etc.

Pikachu0202

New

Post by Pikachu0202 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:29 pm

acr wrote:

lol some parts of this sound like they were copy and pasted directly from the Cadwalader website
LOL it's like recruiting reads these sites. Should be more subtle than an "amazing start"
Last edited by QContinuum on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

"a very large portion of the 2016 summer class did not even return. The firm had to bring in a bunch of recent grads to fill the first year ranks. The 2016 associates who did return have also left in record numbers and two were already fired." This was in reference to the NYC office and NYC SA class and nothing in my posting is a "lie". These claims are all documented on NALP, Laterally.com, Vault, etc. The DC office did recently cancel its summer program (I did not know it was brought back since I no longer work there).

The NYC office's SA class had lots of defections (it is a small class to begin with). The NYC SA class sizes when I started there ranged from 25-30, now there are only 20 SAs.

Also, note this another exception to the rule. This is a former associate from the DC office. My post was about the NYC office. If you summer at Cad NYC you will most likely not be one of these "exceptions". These feelings were shared by all of my friends, so I guess they took the firm's treatment of them "personally" too. Cad's reputation extends to its NYC office, I have also heard bad things from the Charlotte people. Once again, please look at the attrition numbers, surveys, office closings, departments fleeing, partners jumping ship, firm financials, etc.
Great, thanks for the clarification. Your original post mentioned both the departures and the DC office in one sentence, so it sounded like you were talking about the DC office.

Out of curiosity, why did you leave and what are you doing now? And do you know those two people who were fired?

Also, while I encourage folks to stay put and build networks, if any former CWT associates or summers are still seeking new employment, I'm happy to help. :)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
acr wrote:

LOL it's like recruiting reads these sites. Should be more subtle than an "amazing start"
Recruiting does not, and I standby that it was an amazing start. However, I'm not here to trash firms (or speak for the NY office), just to correct the notion that CWT isn't a good firm to work for and see if any former associates need help finding new employment. Also, if any 2L's or 3L's want to know more, then I'm happy to help.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”