Law Firms to Stay Away From Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Law Firms to Stay Away From

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:29 am

With interview season ramping up for 2L's, I figured it would be a good time to get a thread going where people can share if there's any firms that they've heard rumors about being on shaky financial ground. Definitely a nightmare for a summer to have their offer revoked, or to have their firm go under.

Anonymous User

Re: Law Firms to Stay Away From

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:With interview season ramping up for 2L's, I figured it would be a good time to get a thread going where people can share if there's any firms that they've heard rumors about being on shaky financial ground. Definitely a nightmare for a summer to have their offer revoked, or to have their firm go under.
K&L Gates is having issues (no idea what), this from two independent sources, one in Seattle, one in Pittsburgh.

DeMihiNonCuratLex

New

Post by DeMihiNonCuratLex » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:With interview season ramping up for 2L's, I figured it would be a good time to get a thread going where people can share if there's any firms that they've heard rumors about being on shaky financial ground. Definitely a nightmare for a summer to have their offer revoked, or to have their firm go under.
K&L Gates is having issues (no idea what), this from two independent sources, one in Seattle, one in Pittsburgh.
Is this firmwide or specific to those offices?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:00 am

DeMihiNonCuratLex wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No idea.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:06 am

Finnegan. Financial issues and mass departures from partners over the past 5 years.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:35 am

Cadwalader. The firm has been slowly but painfully falling apart the past few years. Their vintage shtick tricks people into choosing them over better firms each year, but don't fall for it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:43 am

Norton Rose Fullbright. They are super shaky financially, and have no offered a good chunk of their class in recent years. If I was going into OCI, I'd only go here if I had no other option.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:07 am

Dechert - laid off many of its first years without even giving them 3 months severance, and time on the website because of financial trouble. Despite downsizing, the firm subsequently denied having financial trouble and told people the first years were incompetent. Starting here without your eyes wide open is reckless and a potentially career altering mistake.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:20 am

DeMihiNonCuratLex wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
K&L Gates is always having issues.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:21 am

DeMihiNonCuratLex wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Pittsburgh is the mothership, so I'm guessing the issues are firmwide. Also, K&L has reportedly had firmwide issues for years...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Norton Rose Fullbright. They are super shaky financially, and have no offered a good chunk of their class in recent years. If I was going into OCI, I'd only go here if I had no other option.
NY office had 20 Summers after the merger and offered 100% this year...Yes I'm defending my firm but its not "super shaky financially."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Norton Rose Fullbright. They are super shaky financially, and have no offered a good chunk of their class in recent years. If I was going into OCI, I'd only go here if I had no other option.
NY office had 20 Summers after the merger and offered 100% this year...Yes I'm defending my firm but its not "super shaky financially."
For the record, they no-offered nearly a quarter of their summers in 2016. When most firms have offer rates in the 95%-100% range and NRF is at 77.5% (38 of 49), the decision is easy to skip them if you have another offer.

ETA: I was one of those that were no-offered and I know it wasn't the quality of my work.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
The Texas offices are bleeding litigation partners and associates and the associates who have lateraled often come relatively inexperienced because they weren't getting work. I don't know if NY is significantly different from TX but the associates I've talked to here have all said to stay far away.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
The Texas offices are bleeding litigation partners and associates and the associates who have lateraled often come relatively inexperienced because they weren't getting work. I don't know if NY is significantly different from TX but the associates I've talked to here have all said to stay far away.
Nope, I can confirm that at least 10 NY partners have left in the last month as well.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Nope, I can confirm that at least 10 NY partners have left in the last month as well.
Jesus.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A pretty significant group of 6-8 NRF TX transactional partners left for Baker Botts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Finnegan. Financial issues and mass departures from partners over the past 5 years.
Could you share more, anon? Very curious.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:05 pm

Does anyone know what's going on with Sidley DC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:10 pm

Anyone with anything specific to Boston offices?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:28 pm

Dykema no offered a huge chunk of their summer class last year, and waited until early September to do it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know what's going on with Sidley DC?
Sidley in general is weird with offers. They never have a 100% offer rate at all their offices. And based on prior NALP history, they have no-offered at least one person at every office at some point in the past few years.

Good firm, but they definitely seem to be more strict on offers than their peers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:34 pm

Anyone have details about San Diego offices. Nalp states that Sheppard gave 4/5 offers in 2016. Not sure if that's because they over-hired or just a very poor summer associate. Also read somewhere here a while back that the Paul Hastings SD office should be avoided because of its toxic environment. Any details would be appreciated. Also on DLA Piper too. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone with anything specific to Boston offices?
Dechert Boston is obviously struggling like the rest of the firm. Ropes & Gray is still the best in town, but they recently kicked out their entire patent prosecution group.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone with anything specific to Boston offices?
Dechert Boston is obviously struggling like the rest of the firm. Ropes & Gray is still the best in town, but they recently kicked out their entire patent prosecution group.
Don't think this bodes well for Nixon Peabody either:

http://abovethelaw.com/2017/08/biglaw-f ... nterviews/

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:58 pm

Everybody is always shitting on Paul Hastings, but plenty would be happy to accept an offer from a V22 firm.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”