While you are awaiting bar results Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

While you are awaiting bar results

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:20 pm

while you are awaiting bar results, what kind of work can you do to prevent a gap in your career? is there anything else other than document review? and i missed the boat on OCI. and say you don't pass the bar, what kind of work should you be doing to keep your feet wet in the law?

Anonymous User

Re: While you are awaiting bar results

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:while you are awaiting bar results, what kind of work can you do to prevent a gap in your career? is there anything else other than document review? and i missed the boat on OCI. and say you don't pass the bar, what kind of work should you be doing to keep your feet wet in the law?
Ummm... I mean, are you at a firm? If you're not barred I'm not even sure you can do doc review, can you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:20 pm

graduated in december. didn't pass feb. awaiting results on july. seriously concerned that if i don't pass again in july, what can i do to keep myself active in law? haven't worked since my internship ended in december and my fear is i may become unmarketable so i need to keep my experience ongoing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:graduated in december. didn't pass feb. awaiting results on july. seriously concerned that if i don't pass again in july, what can i do to keep myself active in law? haven't worked since my internship ended in december and my fear is i may become unmarketable so i need to keep my experience ongoing.
I mean - if you don't have a job and you haven't passed the bar, I don't really know what you can do. Clerking, I guess? I don't know what your school/grades look like (although frankly I don't know of any top schools that have graduations in December so I'm going to guess lower ranked?), but maybe reach out to local small firms and see if they need a clerk of some kind. Also check about maybe volunteering at legal aid or some other non-profit (although once again, without being licensed you're severely limited in what you can do).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:graduated in december. didn't pass feb. awaiting results on july. seriously concerned that if i don't pass again in july, what can i do to keep myself active in law? haven't worked since my internship ended in december and my fear is i may become unmarketable so i need to keep my experience ongoing.
I mean - if you don't have a job and you haven't passed the bar, I don't really know what you can do. Clerking, I guess? I don't know what your school/grades look like (although frankly I don't know of any top schools that have graduations in December so I'm going to guess lower ranked?), but maybe reach out to local small firms and see if they need a clerk of some kind. Also check about maybe volunteering at legal aid or some other non-profit (although once again, without being licensed you're severely limited in what you can do).
definitely true --without that license, it is severely limiting. while the school isn't ranked as a top school (more like t40) it is considered respectable in the state i'm located. still, i did not want the unemployment gap to go on too long. would it hurt to take on a non-law related job (still got bills to pay)? or do i focus on clerking in a small office?

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:23 pm

I knew people that clerked in some small firms while awaiting bar results or studying for next bar. Some smaller firms will be fine with you doing clerk like activities, but they probably won't pay you very much.

Many of those people had personal connections to the firms though so I don't know how easy/hard it is to get those without license.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”