Back to back interview question OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Back to back interview question OCI

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:47 pm

I have quite a few back to back interviews -- how to employers view this? I'm sure you just notify them at the beginning of the interview, and than apologize for being late to the next -- but does that make you look uninterested or something? Does it give them a bad impression, or make you look like you have a lot of options, before you even start. Or will most firms get it.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Back to back interview question OCI

Post by UVA2B » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:55 pm

It's OCI. Firms know the deal and have been doing this a long time. There should be enough time between interviews if you stay on point/punctual with each interview. You don't need to mention your other interviews and you'd be wise not to mention them. Be engaged in the current interview, and when the 20-30 minutes is up, thank them for their time and move on to the next one.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have quite a few back to back interviews -- how to employers view this? I'm sure you just notify them at the beginning of the interview, and than apologize for being late to the next -- but does that make you look uninterested or something? Does it give them a bad impression, or make you look like you have a lot of options, before you even start. Or will most firms get it.
Your CSO will let the firm know. That's what mine did at least. No need to act super apologetic; they understand.

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Post by cbbinnyc » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:56 pm

It seems odd that your school would allow for this to happen. However, if back-to-back interviews are allowed and common, then, in theory, firms should understand that this is a logistical scheduling problem as opposed to a punctuality problem and should be at least a bit understanding about you being late. If this is not common, I would look into rescheduling (if possible) to avoid back to back slots - showing up late to an interview is one of the few ways to almost ensure not getting a callback. This is, admittedly, probably not super helpful advice, though - I would talk to somebody at your school about this.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:01 pm

cbbinnyc wrote:It seems odd that your school would allow for this to happen. However, if back-to-back interviews are allowed and common, then, in theory, firms should understand that this is a logistical scheduling problem as opposed to a punctuality problem and should be at least a bit understanding about you being late. If this is not common, I would look into rescheduling (if possible) to avoid back to back slots - showing up late to an interview is one of the few ways to almost ensure not getting a callback. This is, admittedly, probably not super helpful advice, though - I would talk to somebody at your school about this.
dude, there are like 200 students with 10-20 interviews with dozens of different firms. back-to-back interviews are inevitable; CSO would have no way of preventing it. and OCI is chaos: alternate spots open up, people pull out of the program due to offers, sickness, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:06 pm

acr wrote:
cbbinnyc wrote:people pull out of the program due to offers, sickness, shark week etc.

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Post by cbbinnyc » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:32 pm

acr wrote:
cbbinnyc wrote:It seems odd that your school would allow for this to happen. However, if back-to-back interviews are allowed and common, then, in theory, firms should understand that this is a logistical scheduling problem as opposed to a punctuality problem and should be at least a bit understanding about you being late. If this is not common, I would look into rescheduling (if possible) to avoid back to back slots - showing up late to an interview is one of the few ways to almost ensure not getting a callback. This is, admittedly, probably not super helpful advice, though - I would talk to somebody at your school about this.
dude, there are like 200 students with 10-20 interviews with dozens of different firms. back-to-back interviews are inevitable; CSO would have no way of preventing it. and OCI is chaos: alternate spots open up, people pull out of the program due to offers, sickness, etc.
Eh, NYU has well over 300 students doing about 20-23 interviews and manages to avoid/prohibit back-to-back interviews, so I wouldn't say it's "inevitable" ... in any case, my point was that either OP's school has taken measures to avoid people constantly running later to interviews (by putting gaps in between interviews) or back-to-back interviews are common enough that the school will notify firms of this and they will be understanding. In other words, I doubt that the school would put students in a position where they would look bad out of no fault of their own, purely as a result of the way things shake out logistically

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”