Big 4 U.S. Tax in HK Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Big 4 U.S. Tax in HK

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:02 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a recent JD graduate who has taken many tax classes in law school. Due to work visa issue, I'll need to move back to China/HK area to work. Does anyone have insight on which of the big 4 has a stronger US tax practice in HK, and which one does more advisory work than pure compliance?

Thank you so much if anyone can shed some light on this. I know this is kind of a rare question but don't know if there might be another forum where this question may be more appropriate.

Anonymous User

Re: Big 4 U.S. Tax in HK

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:37 pm

I can only speak to my Big4 but in my US tax advisory practice (here in the US), foreign offices commonly reach out to us for US tax questions and/or refer work to us if there are US tax issues related to their transaction. A US tax person sitting in a foreign office would be exceedingly rare if not entirely unheard of. But we do have a program that works in the reverse where a manager or director (someone with a decent amount of experience) from a foreign office will do a 1-2 year international tax rotation in a US office, usually NYC, which may present an opportunity to make connections and potentially transfer permanently at that time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:03 pm

I personally know a tax lawyer who relocated to HK had to switch to funds practice. But subsequently he did join a big 4 as a tax advisor. Not sure about his role and the prospect for US tax attorneys in HK.

As far as I know, few US firms' HK office have tax practice. I worked on a couple of deals in which the tax part was handled by big 4.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:36 pm

OP here. It seems that KPMG, E&Y and PwC all have a small group of people specializing in U.S. tax. Most are CPAs,but there seems to be at least 1 or 2 JDs based on info available online. The online description says it's not all compliance work but I'm just wondering how true is that? Would it be a mistake to join with a legal but no accounting background? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:42 pm

Also interested in this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”