San Diego Big Law Hours (Corporate) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

San Diego Big Law Hours (Corporate)

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:37 pm

Past SD threads have focused on practice strengths/QoL generally. I'd be interested in getting any insights into the typical hours at the major corporate practices in SD (Latham, Cooley, Sheppard, Mofo, WSGR, etc.) Minimum billables look to be about 1950, but I know that's only part of the story. Some associates I've connected with so far have implied that their hours are more humane than those in the biggest SD groups, but I'm skeptical of all things recruiting and, OTOH, interested in the deal flow/financial health of the smaller groups.

Anonymous User

Re: San Diego Big Law Hours (Corporate)

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:28 pm

I'm also curious.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:07 pm

Not the anon's above, but I'd like to know what practice groups are popular in San Diego (besides IP)? Will go through OCI and bid exclusively NY corporate, but can anyone provide more specific? From my research it seems that capital markets is somewhat common. Any others? I'm originally from SD and want to move back within 3-4 years. Thanks.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not the anon's above, but I'd like to know what practice groups are popular in San Diego (besides IP)? Will go through OCI and bid exclusively NY corporate, but can anyone provide more specific? From my research it seems that capital markets is somewhat common. Any others? I'm originally from SD and want to move back within 3-4 years. Thanks.
M&A, healthcare, e.g./vc

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:13 pm

bump -- curious to hear people's thoughts on hours. I wouldn't think the hours are really any different than biglaw anywhere else. It's hard to imagine a law firm being okay with associates in San Diego billing significantly less than associates in another city. Doesn't make much sense.

I thought this article on SD big law was interesting, though I have no way of verifying anything in it:
http://ourcitysd.com/business-economics ... VtdSP.dpbs

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”