My parent knows a BigLaw Partner - when to reach out? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
doggozeg

New

My parent knows a BigLaw Partner - when to reach out?

Post by doggozeg » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:40 pm

Last edited by doggozeg on Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: My parent knows a BigLaw Partner - when to reach out?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:03 pm

I have no useful information on this except to say -- I'd delete out the name of the firm if I were you. It adds nothing (say Vault 50 or something) and could be a liability later.

whacka

Gold

Post by whacka » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:36 pm

Why not set up a time to meet with this person and find out about their experience at the firm, their practice area, how they like being an attorney? If I were, you, I would try and build a personal relationship with this person first. Then you can circle back later to talk about 1L summer and 2L summer. I think since you're so early in the game, you could benefit from building a relationship first without feeling like you're on a time crunch.

doggozeg

New

Post by doggozeg » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:58 pm

Thanks to both of you - hope my post is vague enough now. That is a good idea to start just by getting to know him. I'll think about the best ways to go about that. Good practice at least. Only a call is possible I think. Either way, will look into it.
Last edited by doggozeg on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

4LTsPointingNorth

Bronze

Post by 4LTsPointingNorth » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:03 pm

To supplement the good advice you've already received, I would encourage you to also ask your parent's connection to put you in touch with a couple junior associates at his/her firm to give you an opportunity to ask them for their perspectives on the whole law school and finding legal employment process. A law firm partner will undoubtedly by happy to put you (as a client's kid) in touch with a few associates as a means of doing an easy favor for a client. And speaking to them may be helpful to you in learning about what they do and whether that sounds appealing to you in the future.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:16 am

doggozeg wrote:I am starting at a top 10 school in a month and intend to pursue corporate/biglaw. My family member, who works at a client of a big firm, knows the partner on a pretty close basis. My family member offered to reach out to this partner at some point to see if they would consider talking to me for a 1L internship, or related. I am not entirely sure of the system.

I have read about 1L employment, and it looks like I can't even speak with potential employers until December 1st? And also, when it comes to networking for positions like this, I assume my grades and stuff would still matter?

I tend to be a skeptic in these situations, but I figure if I am going up to bat, I may as well give myself the best shot and keep an open mind.

Thanks!
I was in a similar situation (my sister knew the wife of a BigLaw partner). Go ahead and get in touch. It got me an interview and an offer (although I ended up not accepting). Plus, the guy has a sweet boat that I go out on every few months with him and get sloshed.

I'd get his/her email, shoot a message saying you're at school at XYZ and just want to talk. Ask about their top-law-schools.com, how they like their job, etc. If you're a 1L, I would pump the breaks on anything more than that. No need to ask to speak to junior associates or anything like that - just make a connection and have someone you can talk to every now and then.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”