Litigation Boutique Chances at YS Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Litigation Boutique Chances at YS

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:08 pm

T14 > YS transfer, top 10% at my t14 and made law review. What are my chances at Williams & Connolly, Munger, Keker, Susman, and Irell? I have ties to LA. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Litigation Boutique Chances at YS

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T14 > YS transfer, top 10% at my t14 and made law review. What are my chances at Williams & Connolly, Munger, Keker, Susman, and Irell? I have ties to LA. Thanks!
If you interview well, Irell should be a lock. Chances are up in the air at the rest -- but I think you have a shot at each. Worth interviewing, at least.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:T14 > YS transfer, top 10% at my t14 and made law review. What are my chances at Williams & Connolly, Munger, Keker, Susman, and Irell? I have ties to LA. Thanks!
If you interview well, Irell should be a lock. Chances are up in the air at the rest -- but I think you have a shot at each. Worth interviewing, at least.
OP here. I thought Irell would be just as selective as the others, but I may be wrong.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:54 pm

Egregious and unconscionable S trolling.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:48 pm

OP here. I just thought, perhaps incorrectly, that H places worse because of their huge transfer class. I apologize if I offended anyone.

Back to the question: do you two have any insight on what my chances are given that LR is up in the air?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:17 pm

Your chances are fine. I know people from HYS who have gotten offers at all of these firms with comparable grades and no LR.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Your chances are fine. I know people from HYS who have gotten offers at all of these firms with comparable grades and no LR.
Are these transfer students? I know HYS top 10% is competitive, but I was uncertain about where I'd stand as a transfer student. I'm trying to figure out what my chances are so I can structure the rest of my bid list accordingly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:38 pm

At least one of the firms you mentioned took a YS transfer that had similar stats (or maybe a bit better) from a mid-T14.

You're competitive, but that's simply because of the stats you earned at your prior T14. You'll be looked at as a "top 10% + LR lower T14 student who transferred to YS." You may be at a slight detriment because most of your screening interviewers will be alum from YS who may connect a little better with students who've gone through the same 1L experience as they did, but that's out of your control at this point. You've proven that you're very capable and no firm that I know of would hold transferring against you.

Tl;dr, you were competitive at your old school and you will be competitive at your new one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At least one of the firms you mentioned took a YS transfer that had similar stats (or maybe a bit better) from a mid-T14.

You're competitive, but that's simply because of the stats you earned at your prior T14. You'll be looked at as a "top 10% + LR lower T14 student who transferred to YS." You may be at a slight detriment because most of your screening interviewers will be alum from YS who may connect a little better with students who've gone through the same 1L experience as they did, but that's out of your control at this point. You've proven that you're very capable and no firm that I know of would hold transferring against you.

Tl;dr, you were competitive at your old school and you will be competitive at your new one.
Got it. Do you think being at YS gives me an additional boost on top of being top 10% + LR at a t14?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:02 pm

I doubt it. Most people with your stats could have transferred to HYS but chose not to, so I doubt actually transferring will make any difference.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At least one of the firms you mentioned took a YS transfer that had similar stats (or maybe a bit better) from a mid-T14.

Got it. Do you think being at YS gives me an additional boost on top of being top 10% + LR at a t14?
Almost no chance transferring gave you an actual boost. As the poster above said, most students with your stats also could've transferred, but stayed instead. And they're now being screened by associates and partners who actually went to the same law school as the students.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”