Firm-specific OCI bidding advice w/extenuating circumstances Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
morningstar

Bronze

Re: Firm-specific OCI bidding advice w/extenuating circumstances

Post by morningstar » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:49 am

Mr. Blackacre wrote:
morningstar wrote:So since I can't get in to see a CDO counselor until Friday, I've been doing a little research. I know it's pretty anecdotal, but can anyone confirm/refute any of these?

Pretty GPA selective (probably scratch them out)

Arnold & Porter - LA
Covington & Burling - LA
Kirkland & Ellis - LA
Paul Weiss - NY
Sullivan & Cromwell - LA

Like I said, it's anecdotal based on other people's posts but maybe a starting point to help narrow down Mongo-the-megalist?
Here's a bunch more that will be too grade selective (all offices):
Boies Schiller
Cleary
Covington, probably (though don't know their LA office well)
Davis Polk
Gibson Dunn
Irell
Latham
O'Melveny (at least LA)
Simpson Thacher
Susman Godfrey
WilmerHale

A couple less grade selective, at least from my experience:
Curtis
Dechert
DLA Piper
Drinker Biddle
Foley Lardner, maybe
K&L Gates
Jones Day, probably
Wilson Sonsini
Winston Strawn

I'm probably forgetting a bunch. Don't waste a bid on that Honolulu firm, especially if it's just for Hawaii. They probably will spend 80% of OCI being annoyed at people who bid just for Hawaii.

Good luck with everything.
Holy shit thank you. Exactly what I was looking for.

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:51 am

morningstar wrote:The firms where I'm going to have to choose an office to bid on (because they don't allow multiple interviews for multiple locations) are:

(the number is the class size based on what I've been able to find)

Alston & Bird - 4 Dallas, 2 LA, 6 NY
Baker Botts - 6 Dallas, 8 NY
Gibson Dunn - 3 Dallas, 14 LA, 7 OC (last year's #s)
Haynes & Boone - 21 Dallas, ? OC
Irell & Manella - 10 LA, ? OC
Jones Day - 4 OC, 7 LA, 4 Dallas
Morrison & Foerster - 2 LA, 8 NY (last year's #s)
Orrick Herrington - 2 OC, 6 LA
White & Case - 5 LA, 56 NY
Winston & Strawn - ? Dallas, 6 LA, 22 NY
Don't bid on Irell or Gibson at all. Alston & Bird I'd do NY since they have more. Baker Botts is one of the big 3 in TX and I feel like they're fairly grade conscious, so I'd do NY. HayBoo definitely Dallas, though you might run into aforementioned grade problem again. JD, Morriston & Foerster, Orrick, I would go by the numbers, so respectively LA, NY, LA. White & Case / Winston & Strawn are your money shots since they have big NY class sizes and low GPA standards. Would do NY for both.

Note - all these + my post above are based off of my personal research when I was applying + GULC GPA numbers for those firms I couldn't remember as well. Sucks that your school doesn't just give you a spreadsheet :(

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Post by Roy McAvoy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:18 am

Mr. Blackacre wrote:
morningstar wrote:The firms where I'm going to have to choose an office to bid on (because they don't allow multiple interviews for multiple locations) are:

(the number is the class size based on what I've been able to find)

Alston & Bird - 4 Dallas, 2 LA, 6 NY
Baker Botts - 6 Dallas, 8 NY
Gibson Dunn - 3 Dallas, 14 LA, 7 OC (last year's #s)
Haynes & Boone - 21 Dallas, ? OC
Irell & Manella - 10 LA, ? OC
Jones Day - 4 OC, 7 LA, 4 Dallas
Morrison & Foerster - 2 LA, 8 NY (last year's #s)
Orrick Herrington - 2 OC, 6 LA
White & Case - 5 LA, 56 NY
Winston & Strawn - ? Dallas, 6 LA, 22 NY
Don't bid on Irell or Gibson at all. Alston & Bird I'd do NY since they have more. Baker Botts is one of the big 3 in TX and I feel like they're fairly grade conscious, so I'd do NY. HayBoo definitely Dallas, though you might run into aforementioned grade problem again. JD, Morriston & Foerster, Orrick, I would go by the numbers, so respectively LA, NY, LA. White & Case / Winston & Strawn are your money shots since they have big NY class sizes and low GPA standards. Would do NY for both.

Note - all these + my post above are based off of my personal research when I was applying + GULC GPA numbers for those firms I couldn't remember as well. Sucks that your school doesn't just give you a spreadsheet :(
I can't speak to all of these, but BB are GD (Dallas, at least) are both going to be pretty grade conscious. I'd suggest NY for BB and LA for GD (because of the class size, I'd pick it over OC). HayBoo's simplicity listing at OCI said they required top 10% (for SMU) but I know they at least gave screeners to people in the top third. I know that's anecdotal, but it seems to suggest they may be less grade conscious than you might expect. Especially for someone in the T-14 will real ties to Dallas.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”