Paul Hastings or Sidley Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Paul Hastings or Sidley

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:14 am

Paul Hastings or Sidley (both NY) for general corporate??

Goal: 3-5 years then in house

Anonymous User

Re: Paul Hastings or Sidley

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Paul Hastings or Sidley (both NY) for general corporate??

Sidley... check tls but some rumors regarding ph, though not nyc office. Not sure these firms have general corp though. U specialize early on.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Paul Hastings or Sidley (both NY) for general corporate??

Sidley... check tls but some rumors regarding ph, though not nyc office. Not sure these firms have general corp though. U specialize early on.
Sidley

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:18 am

Avoid PH. You hear good things in law school, but when you get into the profession those who have lateraled out of that firm have some stories to tell.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:30 pm

Sidley is a V14 law firm!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Goldie

Bronze

Post by Goldie » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:04 pm

I like Sidley and chose Sidley over Paul Hastings (both DC). But, in case you didn't know, Paul Hastings in NY picked up the Boies Schiller corporate group this year (for whatever that's worth).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:18 pm

I think picking the right practice area is more important, especially if your goal is to go in house in 3 years. For instance if PH let you do tech trans, take that over general corporate at Sidley.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:59 am

I work at PH. Go to Sidley.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:06 am

I am a midlevel at Sidley (not New York and not corporate) and I have only positive things to say about the culture.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:06 pm

Really curious about the bad vibes for PH? I am a summer there and they seem to be a great place to work. Associates and everyone seem to not hate life and are generally enjoyable people to be around. I know it's probably meaningless, but they just got top firm to work for in the vault survey too. What are they hiding from me and why don't I see any signs of it at this stage??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Really curious about the bad vibes for PH? I am a summer there and they seem to be a great place to work. Associates and everyone seem to not hate life and are generally enjoyable people to be around. I know it's probably meaningless, but they just got top firm to work for in the vault survey too. What are they hiding from me and why don't I see any signs of it at this stage??
Vault surveys are meaningless. They trimmed a lot of people this past year.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Really curious about the bad vibes for PH? I am a summer there and they seem to be a great place to work. Associates and everyone seem to not hate life and are generally enjoyable people to be around. I know it's probably meaningless, but they just got top firm to work for in the vault survey too. What are they hiding from me and why don't I see any signs of it at this stage??
Their LA office has had endless searches out for all levels for its corporate group for well over a year. Not a good sign.

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Post by Mickfromgm » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:28 pm

It depends on the corporation, but in my experience a firm's perceived prestige doesn't really matter all that much for in-house positions so long as we are talking about AmLaw 100 type of firms. Now, don't get me wrong, you would have a massive leg up if you are coming from WLRK, Cravath, Skadden (for corporate law). But ultimately, it tends to be dependent on whether you are the kind of person the in-house lawyers and the business clients (i.e., CFO, Business Development, etc.) would like to work with. . . especially whether you can be solution-driven and pragmatic.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:37 am

To the PH summer: you guys are shielded quite heavily. If you've ever noticed that there is a partner or associate you never see or talk to, it's on purpose. Recruiting only exposes you to the people who are willing to lie through their teeth. Also, think about it: do you really think the associate who is slaving away in the office until 3AM has the time/energy to attend summer events and chit chat with you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:20 am

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Their LA office has had endless searches out for all levels for its corporate group for well over a year. Not a good sign.
I can confirm that the environment in PH LA is not good. Everything negative is shielded from the summers.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Can you provide any more detail? Even just PM me if you don't want to put it out there.

I can confirm that the environment in PH LA is not good. Everything negative is shielded from the summers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:30 am

Sidley junior associate here: For Biglaw, this is a pretty great place to work. You're going to work your ass off like at any other big firm, but the culture really is as great as the marketing materials say it is.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”