Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
KM2016 wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about White & Case? The LA office seems pretty small (less than 40 attorneys).
I think they were asked about previously on the thread. I don't think we have any intel among us.
Can't speak personally to White & Case, but if I remember correctly, when I was going through OCI several years ago the White & Case LA office had around 120 attorneys. I may be mis-remembering, but if that's the case, the fact that it's only 40 attorneys now would be a bit of a red flag for me.
The bolded isn't correct. Having friends who've worked in that office, it has always had a fairly small footprint in terms of attorney numbers.
And what have you friends thought of it? If they left, why?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
KM2016 wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about White & Case? The LA office seems pretty small (less than 40 attorneys).
I think they were asked about previously on the thread. I don't think we have any intel among us.
Can't speak personally to White & Case, but if I remember correctly, when I was going through OCI several years ago the White & Case LA office had around 120 attorneys. I may be mis-remembering, but if that's the case, the fact that it's only 40 attorneys now would be a bit of a red flag for me.
The bolded isn't correct. Having friends who've worked in that office, it has always had a fairly small footprint in terms of attorney numbers.
Yeah that didn’t seem right to me either. They’ve always been small in LA.

The firm in general suffered a bit reputationally for several years in the mid 2010s for reasons I can’t recall, but they’ve really been on a rebound the last several years. Their NYC office was co-counsel on one of my deals a couple years ago and I found it quite nice to work with them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:42 pm

Can anyone speak to Irell’s corporate practice? What type of work do they do? Any entertainment? I’m a NY corporate associate thinking about coming back home. Was really impressed by Irell when I interviewed with them some years ago (was interested in litigation then).

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone speak to Irell’s corporate practice? What type of work do they do? Any entertainment? I’m a NY corporate associate thinking about coming back home. Was really impressed by Irell when I interviewed with them some years ago (was interested in litigation then).
My literal first thought: “irell has a corporate practice?”

Irell’s weight and prestige in lit and IP doesn’t translate to corporate in the same way it does at, say, MTO.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:11 pm

Ah, that’s unfortunate. Any insight into MTO’s corporate practice? What type of work do they mostly do? MTO and Irell were my two favorite firms from OCI (although I did not receive an offer from MTO so here’s to second chances I guess).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ah, that’s unfortunate. Any insight into MTO’s corporate practice? What type of work do they mostly do? MTO and Irell were my two favorite firms from OCI (although I did not receive an offer from MTO so here’s to second chances I guess).
Top of the line shit. They are Berkshire's counsel. Just do some searching on Law360 for their representative transactions.

I guess the broader questions are:
- what year are you
- what are you looking for in a firm
- do you want to be downtown or century city
- what kind of practice do you have
- what firm are you coming from and what school did you go to

Feel free to PM me if you want.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:00 pm

mto hires lateral associates!?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:15 pm

lolwat wrote:mto hires lateral associates!?
Yeah man that’s the other correct question to ask. The lateral hiring process is so intense. Rounds of interviews. Votes by the whole firm. Yikes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ah, that’s unfortunate. Any insight into MTO’s corporate practice? What type of work do they mostly do? MTO and Irell were my two favorite firms from OCI (although I did not receive an offer from MTO so here’s to second chances I guess).
MTO's corporate practice is a sinking ship. Lot of departures. This is based on my convos with former MTO/current MTO people. Recent lateral solicitation was for 1-6 year associates. Also, MTO is sooo stuffy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:06 pm

What is the LA emerging companies/VC market like? How do the best firms stack up relative to one another?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:25 pm

Can anyone at Reed Smith and King & Spalding share their experiences? I have heard that RS has morale problems. Are they due to toxic partners? Thanks.

canon

New

Post by canon » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is the LA emerging companies/VC market like? How do the best firms stack up relative to one another?
Most Century City firms have at least some people doing this work, but Cooley pretty much is the go-to shop. Wilson is expanding its presence here as well as Gunderson Dettmer with a 6-8 person new office with 1 associate last I heard. The usuals -- Latham, Skadden, Gibson -- likely have some work in this area but I wonder if VCs can afford their fees. Middle market firms like Loeb/Manatt actually have a competitive advantage in this respect given the fees/quality proposition.

http://www.legal500.com/c/united-states ... -companies

Legal500 is pretty good additional resource to Chambers and Partners

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:40 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Yeah man that’s the other correct question to ask. The lateral hiring process is so intense. Rounds of interviews. Votes by the whole firm. Yikes.
Hi Smokey, hate to just jump in and revive the thread with nothing to contribute, but would you mind PMing me some time if you're free? It doesn't have it listed as an option I think because my account is new, but I'd love to ask some questions if you'd be willing. Thanks man.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Burgkid808

New

Post by Burgkid808 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Hi Smokey, hate to just jump in and revive the thread with nothing to contribute, but would you mind PMing me some time if you're free? It doesn't have it listed as an option I think because my account is new, but I'd love to ask some questions if you'd be willing. Thanks man.
Whoops, accidentally clicked anonymous.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:21 am

Does anyone have any insight into goodwin la's work/life balance? Weekends/Nights?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:31 pm

Would love any insight into Greenberg Traurig

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:21 am
Does anyone have any insight into goodwin la's work/life balance? Weekends/Nights?
Weekends and nights are table stakes. If you’re asking this you shouldn’t be considering big law.

General balance otherwise is practice group specific.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:17 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:50 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Weekends and nights are table stakes. If you’re asking this you shouldn’t be considering big law.

Hey Smokey, good to see you back! I wanted to ask if you had any insight as to how much grades/school mattered in the lateral hiring process at LA offices of various firms. I'll be working at a V10 in norcal and wanted to ultimately make my way to LA after a few years, but goddamn 3L is such a slump and I don't see my grades improving at all. I've heard GDC is always a stickler for this; any others?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:31 pm
Bumping this because I’m between GT and a V30 in a different market. I really want to be in LA so not sure what to do.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:49 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Bumping this because I’m between GT and a V30 in a different market. I really want to be in LA so not sure what to do.
My opinion is that GT never really made much of a splash in LA and that people don’t really gun for it. But I admittedly don’t know much about their operation in LA (that in itself should be a sign given my general knowledge of the LA market).

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:17 pm
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Hey Smokey, good to see you back! I wanted to ask if you had any insight as to how much grades/school mattered in the lateral hiring process at LA offices of various firms. I'll be working at a V10 in norcal and wanted to ultimately make my way to LA after a few years, but goddamn 3L is such a slump and I don't see my grades improving at all. I've heard GDC is always a stickler for this; any others?
I made it down the lateral hiring path with 5 or 6 V10-V50 firms and was never asked for grades, but I know there are firms out there who do care (MTO). Why not just network internally and move to their LA office (I guess unless it’s Weil or someone without a presence here).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:31 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:25 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
My opinion is that GT never really made much of a splash in LA and that people don’t really gun for it. But I admittedly don’t know much about their operation in LA (that in itself should be a sign given my general knowledge of the LA market).
Thanks. That is my sense too. They take tiny summer classes and almost everyone in the office seems to be upper level intent on doing their own thing which concerns me. But I do like all the folks I met a lot. I’m also just thankful to have an LA offer given what hiring looked like this year. Are you out of big law now? This thread was very helpful for me, btw. Thank you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:31 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:25 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks. That is my sense too. They take tiny summer classes and almost everyone in the office seems to be upper level intent on doing their own thing which concerns me. But I do like all the folks I met a lot. I’m also just thankful to have an LA offer given what hiring looked like this year. Are you out of big law now? This thread was very helpful for me, btw. Thank you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:19 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I made it down the lateral hiring path with 5 or 6 V10-V50 firms and was never asked for grades, but I know there are firms out there who do care (MTO). Why not just network internally and move to their LA office (I guess unless it’s Weil or someone without a presence here).
That's probably what I'm going to do, but always nice to keep options open if they're available. Do you mind if I PM you about the firm in particular to see if you have any insight on their LA office?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:19 pm
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's probably what I'm going to do, but always nice to keep options open if they're available. Do you mind if I PM you about the firm in particular to see if you have any insight on their LA office?

Go for it

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”