Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MrT

Bronze

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Post by MrT » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:41 pm

Awesome thing called sarcasm...

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
and there's no way you need to get that far from irvine to have a single for <2000.
graduated from uc irvine last year with some friends still living around the area and there's definitely 1 BR's within commute distance (<10 miles) for <2000 in santa ana and costa mesa with tustin being a bit further
I thought this was the case. Thank you for confirming.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:42 pm

MrT wrote:Awesome thing called sarcasm...
Trying to keep this thread helpful and bullshit free, so we're calling it out where we see it.

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:47 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Trying to keep this thread helpful and bullshit free, so we're calling it out where we see it.
Okay helpful:

If you want to be within 20-25 minutes of the OC office locations, you can expect to spend ~$2000 for a 1br. Sure, you can find things that are cheaper but I wouldn't live there. 2br right next to (within 5 min. drive) the Costa Mesa or Irvine offices will be ~$2700. Probably closer to $3200 to live in Newport (again 2br).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:53 pm

MrT wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Okay helpful:

If you want to be within 20-25 minutes of the OC office locations, you can expect to spend ~$2000 for a 1br. Sure, you can find things that are cheaper but I wouldn't live there. 2br right next to (within 5 min. drive) the Costa Mesa or Irvine offices will be ~$2700. Probably closer to $3200 to live in Newport (again 2br).
if i were working in the OC, this is the type of place that i'd be looking at personally https://www.apartments.com/the-californ ... a/p364ezt/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MrT wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Okay helpful:

if i were working in the OC, this is the type of place that i'd be looking at personally https://www.apartments.com/the-californ ... a/p364ezt/
Yeah that's basically a resort. Similar in LA is $4k minimum. We're talking a basic apartment here. We're not comparing apples to apples here.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:16 pm

They won't be as nice and it's not like you'll find anything good for like 1k but 1br apartments are pretty widely available for under 2k within reasonable distance of Irvine and Costa Mesa offices of firms. Just not if you're looking at prime locations (like the new residences on Jamboree that probably puts you within 5min drive of several biglaw offices) or fancy places towards newport beach/corona del mar (like Park Newport or newport bluffs).

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:20 pm

lolwat wrote:They won't be as nice and it's not like you'll find anything good for like 1k but 1br apartments are pretty widely available for under 2k within reasonable distance of Irvine and Costa Mesa offices of firms. Just not if you're looking at prime locations (like the new residences on Jamboree that probably puts you within 5min drive of several biglaw offices) or fancy places towards newport beach/corona del mar (like Park Newport or newport bluffs).
Bro you add "Park" or "Bluffs" to the name of a property and it immediately increases rent by 27.4% compared to similarly situated apartments without "Park" or "Bluffs" in their name. It's just science.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:26 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
lolwat wrote:They won't be as nice and it's not like you'll find anything good for like 1k but 1br apartments are pretty widely available for under 2k within reasonable distance of Irvine and Costa Mesa offices of firms. Just not if you're looking at prime locations (like the new residences on Jamboree that probably puts you within 5min drive of several biglaw offices) or fancy places towards newport beach/corona del mar (like Park Newport or newport bluffs).
Bro you add "Park" or "Bluffs" to the name of a property and it immediately increases rent by 27.4% compared to similarly situated apartments without "Park" or "Bluffs" in their name. It's just science.
Haha this is true. Although i have visited those apartments in the somewhat distant past and they are seriously like resorts. So many goddamn amenities. If i remember right, newport bluffs is actually a gated apartment complex and you have to go through a guard to get in as a visitor. That kind of shit is great if people want to splurge a little living down there, but those are really the kinds of apts that have a $2k+ price tag.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:50 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
MrT wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Okay helpful:

Yeah that's basically a resort. Similar in LA is $4k minimum. We're talking a basic apartment here. We're not comparing apples to apples here.
just giving an example of a place that's literally <10 mins away from the OC offices that's <2k (and is resort-level to boot)

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
MrT wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Okay helpful:

just giving an example of a place that's literally <10 mins away from the OC offices that's <2k (and is resort-level to boot)
Sure, less than $2000 but your car is likely to be broken into and you will meet some interesting folks. As I said, you can find cheaper but I wouldn't recommend living there. Also, this particular apartment is hardly "resort-level."

See: https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/califor ... Ap6-WXZj0g

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:54 pm

Know anything about Blank Rome? For corporate.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Know anything about Blank Rome? For corporate.
Nope.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:31 pm

Can anyone weigh in on Century City v. Downtown for a junior associate?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:31 pm

Can anyone weigh in on Century City v. Downtown for a junior associate?

KM2016

Bronze

Post by KM2016 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone weigh in on Century City v. Downtown for a junior associate?
Pros and cons to both. Downtown has way more food/bar options nearby which can make lunches and happy hours a lot better. There are also far more affordable places to live in or near downtown (Silverlake, Los Feliz, Echo Park, etc.). Century City is a lot more polished and more of a bubble. Not too many food options within walking distance of the office, but it's much cleaner. Living near the office on the West Side is significantly more expensive, but generally, most young people prefer to live on the West Side, as there are better restaurants, bars, the beach and a lot of fun activities to do when you're not working. Expect to pay more, but you get what you pay for.

Having worked in both, I miss the food options downtown, but all things considered, I much more prefer Century City and the surrounding area.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:49 pm

KM2016 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone weigh in on Century City v. Downtown for a junior associate?
Pros and cons to both. Downtown has way more food/bar options nearby which can make lunches and happy hours a lot better. There are also far more affordable places to live in or near downtown (Silverlake, Los Feliz, Echo Park, etc.). Century City is a lot more polished and more of a bubble. Not too many food options within walking distance of the office, but it's much cleaner. Living near the office on the West Side is significantly more expensive, but generally, most young people prefer to live on the West Side, as there are better restaurants, bars, the beach and a lot of fun activities to do when you're not working. Expect to pay more, but you get what you pay for.

Having worked in both, I miss the food options downtown, but all things considered, I much more prefer Century City and the surrounding area.
Thank you for this description. Do you believe that office location should be a heavy factor when weighing options?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:52 pm

KM2016 wrote:

Agree with everything he said 100%.

Century City is blah compared to downtown, but not as horrible as working in, say, Orange County. The food options at Westfield Mall are getting better and better--La Colombe is decent coffee, Shake Shack, and Eataly opening in two months (as well as a new Chic Fil A and poke place). Not as good as what you get at Grand Central downtown or Far East Market in Chinatown, but great regardless.

Also, enough cannot be said about the commute options. I live on the westside and my commute to century city is about 20 minutes at worst and my commute to downtown was 50-60 minutes at worst, 20 minutes at best (if leaving the office very late).

LAsonic

New

Post by LAsonic » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:37 am

SmokeytheBear wrote:
KM2016 wrote:

Agree with everything he said 100%.

Century City is blah compared to downtown, but not as horrible as working in, say, Orange County. The food options at Westfield Mall are getting better and better--La Colombe is decent coffee, Shake Shack, and Eataly opening in two months (as well as a new Chic Fil A and poke place). Not as good as what you get at Grand Central downtown or Far East Market in Chinatown, but great regardless.

Also, enough cannot be said about the commute options. I live on the westside and my commute to century city is about 20 minutes at worst and my commute to downtown was 50-60 minutes at worst, 20 minutes at best (if leaving the office very late).
Also agree with everything said here. I work in Century City and live in Venice and my commute is normally 25 minutes. Food options definitely not as good, but if you work in Century City, you have the option of living West Side to the Mid-Cityish Area (WeHo, Beverly Hills Adjacent) and still have a good commute.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:54 am

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:.
I didn't get a chance to respond before you .'ed it, but if you were saying how much you hate going to Chaya and Drago for your callbacks, this is a safe space.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:13 am

Based on working-there-currently experience, DTLA sucks

Just based on callback experience, seems like Century City would suck more

shrugemoji

I mean is anyone picking between actual equal options in both places? Even if it's diff offices of the same firm strikes me as v likely that one office has a higher center gravity for x or y type of work

I'd really encourage making decisions along that axis rather than preference between two not-that-far-apart locations in the same metro area tbh, if that applies to you. Sorry for answering a different question than the one asked, but just my take as a current lit assoc in LA. Offices can be pretty specialized anywhere but I think this is especially true in LA/CA where you have firms that have like 5 offices in a single metro all of which feel totally different.

entirely possible to actually be equal and location w/in LA is a factor, i am just a bit skeptical given that it's oci time

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:25 am

beepboopbeep wrote:Based on working-there-currently experience, DTLA sucks

Just based on callback experience, seems like Century City would suck more

shrugemoji

I mean is anyone picking between actual equal options in both places? Even if it's diff offices of the same firm strikes me as v likely that one office has a higher center gravity for x or y type of work

I'd really encourage making decisions along that axis rather than preference between two not-that-far-apart locations in the same metro area tbh, if that applies to you. Sorry for answering a different question than the one asked, but just my take as a current lit assoc in LA. Offices can be pretty specialized anywhere but I think this is especially true in LA/CA where you have firms that have like 5 offices in a single metro all of which feel totally different.

entirely possible to actually be equal and location w/in LA is a factor, i am just a bit skeptical given that it's oci time
I don't speak gibberish well enough to respond.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:40 am

beepboopbeep wrote:
Not necessarily true. My old firm had an office in downtown and an office in century city and there was substantial overlap. The other firms with two offices like this have overlap too. You end up working often for partners in both offices.
beepboopbeep wrote: Offices can be pretty specialized anywhere but I think this is especially true in LA/CA where you have firms that have like 5 offices in a single metro all of which feel totally different.
Please name one firm that has more than three offices (e.g. downtown, century city, santa monica/venice) in the LA metro area (also note that Orange County is not part of the LA metro area).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”