Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SmokeytheBear

Silver

Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:55 pm

Slow at work and super hungover from the summer event last night.

I think bidding at UCLA is done, but not sure about USC and UCI.

Regardless, ask me any questions you want about bidding, interviews, culture, etc and I'll do my best to answer.

Have worked at LA office of large international LA based firm and currently work at LA office of large international NYC based firm.

Viva los Dodgers.
Last edited by SmokeytheBear on Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: UCLA/USC/UCI OCI Stuff -- Free Advice

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:26 pm

General interview tips? I have an interview with a small firm's managing partner today in Socal.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:General interview tips? I have an interview with a small firm's managing partner today in Socal.
Which part of SoCal? If OC or SD (especially north county SD) they're going to want to know about your ties.

Also know about the kind of work the firm does.

Otherwise the same general interview tips apply.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:02 pm

Which firms in LA are known to be most lifestyle friendly? I know this is practice group specific, but is there a general sense of which firms tend to exhibit more humane treatment?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Which firms in LA are known to be most lifestyle friendly? I know this is practice group specific, but is there a general sense of which firms tend to exhibit more humane treatment?
I think each firm has groups that are lifestyle friendly, so it's difficult to say a single firm that has that reputation across the board. Maybe some anon's who work at LA firms can chime in on this.

From what I have been told and know:
- Latham, Skadden, and Milbank are all pretty chill when it comes to face time.
- Sullivan has a high face time requirement and is stuffy.
- Sheppard Mullin's labor and employment group has nice people.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:17 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Which firms in LA are known to be most lifestyle friendly? I know this is practice group specific, but is there a general sense of which firms tend to exhibit more humane treatment?
I think each firm has groups that are lifestyle friendly, so it's difficult to say a single firm that has that reputation across the board. Maybe some anon's who work at LA firms can chime in on this.

Are there certain firms where associates consistently work more hours than peer firms?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

Are there certain firms where associates consistently work more hours than peer firms?
Again, practice group specific question.

But Kirkland is known for their grueling hours.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:48 pm

Any knowledge on entertainment or transaction heavy midlaw firms in LA?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:04 pm

How do exit options in LA compare to NY for corp. associates?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:48 pm

Not sure if you know much about SD, but how hard is it to lateral or get an entry level position (transactional) there, assuming very strong ties and attend a lower T14.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any knowledge on entertainment or transaction heavy midlaw firms in LA?
Midlaw entertainment look at Manatt. Not sure about other smaller shops. Sheppard Mullin Century City, Loeb, OMM, and Latham do a good amount, but the type varies (film finance, development and distribution deals, etc).

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not sure if you know much about SD, but how hard is it to lateral or get an entry level position (transactional) there, assuming very strong ties and attend a lower T14.
A number of top firms have offices in both north and south county. Best bet would be to work for one of those firms in a different office then change offices if you can. As for straight up lateraling, I'm not sure about the market. I would assume it's better for IP and transactional. But if you have top grades from your lower T14 email the firms directly. The offices are generally smaller, so you'd have a shot with strong ties.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do exit options in LA compare to NY for corp. associates?
I don't know what exit ops are like in NY, so I can't give an opinion. Sorry.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:21 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How do exit options in LA compare to NY for corp. associates?
What types of exit options are popular among LA associates?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
What types of exit options are popular among LA associates?
Everything, man. LA county is something like the 10th or 12th biggest economy in the world. Depends on the firm you're at and the clients they have. Start ups have become a newer option as more start ups locate on the westside.

Entertainment is big if you work in the entertainment group at a firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:03 pm

For the Vandy/UT/UCLA band, which firms aren't out at median assuming ties but no URM

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For the Vandy/UT/UCLA band, which firms aren't out at median assuming ties but no URM
I dont know who recruits at Vandy and UT from LA. If you want to post a bid list and say which school I can critique it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:48 pm

I'm at USC and interested in staying in socal (from OC and undergrad in LA). Do a lot of people from USC/UCLA who ONLY bid LA at OCI often strike out? I'm not particularly interested in NY, but should I bid anyway to be safe? Is this all grade dependent? Thanks for doing this!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm at USC and interested in staying in socal (from OC and undergrad in LA). Do a lot of people from USC/UCLA who ONLY bid LA at OCI often strike out? I'm not particularly interested in NY, but should I bid anyway to be safe? Is this all grade dependent? Thanks for doing this!
All grade dependent.

Though if you are from OC and have an interest in practicing there, there are a number of firms down there that prize ties heavily--Rutan, Straddling, Sheppard, OMM, Latham, K&L, Troutman, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:03 pm

Do you happen to know much about compensation packages?

I assume there is no 401K match...but is health insurance fully covered at most firms or is there a rather large contribution?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:04 pm

How important is Law Review to the top firms in SoCal if you have relatively good grades? Say, above 3.7.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you happen to know much about compensation packages?

I assume there is no 401K match...but is health insurance fully covered at most firms or is there a rather large contribution?
I dont know about midlaw, but big law pays market in LA, OC, and San Diego (north and south county).

As for total comp (i.e. salary + bonus + benefits), look on ATL for any breakdowns in bonus. There is also a thread on here called "firm benefits" where people break down benefits per firm. But it varies wildly and there is no correlation to vault ranking; differences on bar stipend (amount and whether it is a stipend or an advance); health benefits (individual contribution level); gym; etc.

EDIT: correct no 401k.
Last edited by SmokeytheBear on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How important is Law Review to the top firms in SoCal if you have relatively good grades? Say, above 3.7.
A 3.7 w/o LR from UCLA or USC and you should be fine (though you may be asked why you didnt go for it especially if you are doing lit). UCI you should still have it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:21 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How important is Law Review to the top firms in SoCal if you have relatively good grades? Say, above 3.7.
A 3.7 w/o LR from UCLA or USC and you should be fine (though you may be asked why you didnt go for it especially if you are doing lit). UCI you should still have it.
What if you did go for it, but just didn't get it? Had to work during write-on. Is saying you tried and failed a good/bad idea?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
What if you did go for it, but just didn't get it? Had to work during write-on. Is saying you tried and failed a good/bad idea?
Not sure what the best tact is there, but maybe something like you want to focus your efforts on moot court.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”