Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:17 pm

Thoughts on WilmerHale LA's office? I know it's new, but if interested in securities/white collar work, how do you think it compares to the other top players in the area, considering Wilmer's strength nationally in that area?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:41 pm

Directed here from topic post - anyone have any general thoughts or insights into STB's Los Angeles practice. Specifically corporate? Thanks in advance.

Covfefe2018

New

Post by Covfefe2018 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Directed here from topic post - anyone have any general thoughts or insights into STB's Los Angeles practice. Specifically corporate? Thanks in advance.
Same building as Covington LA, but not remotely the same universe otherwise.

AspiringAspirant

New

Post by AspiringAspirant » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:43 pm

Covfefe2018 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Directed here from topic post - anyone have any general thoughts or insights into STB's Los Angeles practice. Specifically corporate? Thanks in advance.
Same building as Covington LA, but not remotely the same universe otherwise.
You are relentless.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:07 am

I bet cov LA recruiting thought they were geniuses for coming up with the COVfefe handle

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:01 am

So we going to have a serious/honest answer to the STB question or no?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:So we going to have a serious/honest answer to the STB question or no?
Just for context, what firms are you deciding between or among and what kind of corporate do you want to do?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:55 am

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So we going to have a serious/honest answer to the STB question or no?
Just for context, what firms are you deciding between or among and what kind of corporate do you want to do?
Looking for general corporate/M&A - broad exposure so i am well trained. Choosing between firms like Akin/Sidley/STB/Skadden/PH/etc. all in LA.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Looking for general corporate/M&A - broad exposure so i am well trained. Choosing between firms like Akin/Sidley/STB/Skadden/PH/etc. all in LA.
I'm not sure that anyone has commented directly about STB LA in this thread yet, but if you take the time to flip back through these pages you'll see that those firms that you listed aren't really the same in LA

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:01 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
I'm not sure that anyone has commented directly about STB LA in this thread yet, but if you take the time to flip back through these pages you'll see that those firms that you listed aren't really the same in LA
One of STB LA's Corporate rainmakers went over to Sidley a few years ago and is now the managing partner of the LA office, if that's one of your other choices.

All of those firms are going to be somewhat different in their practices and cultures. Skadden probably has the strongest M&A practice on that list, but, then you also have to work at Skadden.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:21 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
They aren't the same. Thats why I asked...

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
They aren't the same. Thats why I asked...
Yup. So have a flip back through the previous several pages and you'll see the general discussion on those firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:09 pm

Leaning litigation, but not that strongly. Would you choose GDC OC or Latham LA?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Leaning litigation, but not that strongly. Would you choose GDC OC or Latham LA?
Latham LA.

KM2016

Bronze

Post by KM2016 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Leaning litigation, but not that strongly. Would you choose GDC OC or Latham LA?
Latham for two reasons:

1) OC is so boring. LA is much more lively and there's way more to do for a young person.
2) If you're not firmly set on litigation, Latham has better non-lit options in the event you're swayed towards transnational.

dtlaatty

New

Post by dtlaatty » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:27 pm

KM2016 wrote:
Latham for two reasons:

1) OC is so boring. LA is much more lively and there's way more to do for a young person.
2) If you're not firmly set on litigation, Latham has better non-lit options in the event you're swayed towards transnational.
+1 to all of this.

Within lit, you'll have a lot more cases / types of cases to choose from at Latham LA vs. Gibson OC. This will give you a better shot of developing the practice that you want.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:33 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Latham LA.
People generally apply to firms in OC for a reason, which might help us give you a better idea of which you should choose. I agree with all of the above about Latham, but there might be a colorable argument for Gibson if you can give us better details of why you applied with them in the first place.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:33 pm

Does Foley *really* have a tech trans practice? I find it a little hard to believe but they claim to have one in the DTLA office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:50 pm

Thoughts on Akin (CC) for corporate?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:58 pm

I see that Latham Century City was mentioned briefly earlier in this thread, but I'm interested in hearing more about litigation there (specifically entertainment lit). In a 2015 thread people were saying just apply to the DTLA office because the CC office hadn't really grown enough yet on the litigation side. Is that still the case, particularly if you're interested in entertainment law?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I see that Latham Century City was mentioned briefly earlier in this thread, but I'm interested in hearing more about litigation there (specifically entertainment lit). In a 2015 thread people were saying just apply to the DTLA office because the CC office hadn't really grown enough yet on the litigation side. Is that still the case, particularly if you're interested in entertainment law?
Are you thinking of lateraling or applying to the office as a 2L/3L.

If the latter, entertainment litigation (even more so than the transactional side of entertainment) is hyper focused and specialized.
Last edited by SmokeytheBear on Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on Akin (CC) for corporate?
Search the thread dude.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:56 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I see that Latham Century City was mentioned briefly earlier in this thread, but I'm interested in hearing more about litigation there (specifically entertainment lit). In a 2015 thread people were saying just apply to the DTLA office because the CC office hadn't really grown enough yet on the litigation side. Is that still the case, particularly if you're interested in entertainment law?

If the latter, entertainment litigation (even more so than the transactional side of entertainment) is hyper focused and specialized.

Applying as a 2L next year. I just started as a 1L. Interested in the office since I'm interested in entertainment law and Latham in general. Thanks for the info – do you mean focused and specialized in terms of the specific entertainment lit they do, the clients, or both?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

Applying as a 2L next year. I just started as a 1L. Interested in the office since I'm interested in entertainment law and Latham in general. Thanks for the info – do you mean focused and specialized in terms of the specific entertainment lit they do, the clients, or both?
It's not a big field, so there aren't a lot of people who do it, so getting into it will be difficult.

Also, it might not be something that someplace like Latham handles. Entertainment law typically has lower billing rates across the board (except for maybe film finance); there are a lot of smaller firms in LA who do a lot of entertainment law, so it's kept rates low. Because of this, only a handful of firms have entertainment groups (because the low rates are lower than the rest of the rates of the firm), and those that do have smaller groups (and, as discussed previously, some, like Sheppard Mullin, pay those in that group less).

Also, this goes without saying, but depending on what school you're at, Latham is a tough cookie to crack. Top grades are needed. So if you're set on doing entertainment law, also consider a Manatt, OMM or Sheppard Mullin.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:11 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

It's not a big field, so there aren't a lot of people who do it, so getting into it will be difficult.

Also, it might not be something that someplace like Latham handles. Entertainment law typically has lower billing rates across the board (except for maybe film finance); there are a lot of smaller firms in LA who do a lot of entertainment law, so it's kept rates low. Because of this, only a handful of firms have entertainment groups (because the low rates are lower than the rest of the rates of the firm), and those that do have smaller groups (and, as discussed previously, some, like Sheppard Mullin, pay those in that group less).

Also, this goes without saying, but depending on what school you're at, Latham is a tough cookie to crack. Top grades are needed. So if you're set on doing entertainment law, also consider a Manatt, OMM or Sheppard Mullin.
Great info. Thank you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”