HLS EIP 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

HLS EIP 2017

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:44 pm

Figured someone had to get this year's thread started.

CSM/Symplicity Portal

EIPx (EIP statistics)

Threads from previous years:
EIP 2016
EIP 2015
EIP 2014
EIP 2013
EIP 2013 for "marginal candidates"
EIP 2012
EIP 2011
EIP 2011
EIP 2010
EIP 2010

A few preemptive comments from looking through some earlier threads:
1. Please rank the bids when posting bid lists. Can't provide much feedback on randomly ordered lists of firms.
2. Report grades either with actual spread (3H/7P) or number of Hs (DS worth 2, LP worth -1) instead of things like "top 30%" that no one really knows.
3. When reporting callbacks please include the market and the initials of your interviewer if possible.
4. Anyone, no matter how high or low their grades are, should feel comfortable asking for advice/posting results. The more data we have the more help it is.

Good luck to all!

Anonymous User

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:55 pm

Thanks for starting this! I'm wondering if HLS people are doing pre-eip interviews. I know OCS said pre-eip is not allowed, but I know it wasn't allowed last year and some people still did it and managed to secure a job before eip.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for starting this! I'm wondering if HLS people are doing pre-eip interviews. I know OCS said pre-eip is not allowed, but I know it wasn't allowed last year and some people still did it and managed to secure a job before eip.
I'm not, and from what I can tell it seems like there is definitely less of it here than elsewhere. I do know of someone who got a callback over the summer, but it was from a firm that he applied to for a 1L SA and the interview isn't actually scheduled until after EIP, so that doesn't really count.

QuentonCassidy

Silver

Post by QuentonCassidy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:37 am

Does anyone know anything about the Kirkland Boston office? I saw it on CSM and didn't think they had a Boston office. Checked their website and saw it is "starting in summer 2017." Any knowledge about it in particular or thoughts about offices that are just starting up in general?

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for starting this! I'm wondering if HLS people are doing pre-eip interviews. I know OCS said pre-eip is not allowed, but I know it wasn't allowed last year and some people still did it and managed to secure a job before eip.
There's really no reason to do this unless it's with a firm or office that (i) doesn't come to EIP and (ii) asks you for an early interview.

You're seeing threads here about early interviews (and maybe hearing about them from friends at other schools) because most law students don't go to HYS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EnderWiggin

Silver

Post by EnderWiggin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:48 am

QuentonCassidy wrote:Does anyone know anything about the Kirkland Boston office?
OCS may be able to give some more specific guidance but some ppl recently discussed it briefly here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:08 am

Pneumonia wrote:
There's really no reason to do this unless it's with a firm or office that (i) doesn't come to EIP and (ii) asks you for an early interview.

You're seeing threads here about early interviews (and maybe hearing about them from friends at other schools) because most law students don't go to HYS.
HLS rising 2L in NY here. I'm not doing any (although I'm primarily targeting D.C.) and none of my friends are doing any. I've heard of S people taking interviews in NY but that may just be for convenience given the challenges of doing callbacks in NY from the west coast.

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:48 am

Pneumonia wrote:

Agreed 100% but no downside either to interview early and then walk into EIP with an offer or two in your pocket. I just wouldn't work hard to get those interviews.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:16 pm

lawlorbust wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:

Agreed 100% but no downside either to interview early and then walk into EIP with an offer or two in your pocket. I just wouldn't work hard to get those interviews.
Agreed. Also maybe "worth" doing for people that have a sub 3.0 GPA. But definitely not necessary for anyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:56 pm

About time!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:13 pm

Thanks for setting this up. Is it just me, or has there been a total collapse of information regarding EIP since the collapse of HLSDope? Is there any way to contact the founder of that site to attempt to recoup the data that was there? I just feel like we might be running blind compared to previous years without it...

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for setting this up. Is it just me, or has there been a total collapse of information regarding EIP since the collapse of HLSDope? Is there any way to contact the founder of that site to attempt to recoup the data that was there? I just feel like we might be running blind compared to previous years without it...
The founder graduated in 2016, but he sent out all of the data before leaving. If you PM your HLS email address I'll forward you the email. But be warned, the info isn't nearly as pretty as it was on Dope.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:05 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for setting this up. Is it just me, or has there been a total collapse of information regarding EIP since the collapse of HLSDope? Is there any way to contact the founder of that site to attempt to recoup the data that was there? I just feel like we might be running blind compared to previous years without it...
The founder graduated in 2016, but he sent out all of the data before leaving. If you PM your HLS email address I'll forward you the email. But be warned, the info isn't nearly as pretty as it was on Dope.
Just saw this email myself, thanks for the offer though!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

polareagle

Bronze

Post by polareagle » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:57 pm

lawlorbust wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:

This is 100% true. But as a warning to others, there is a downside to pestering firms who aren't interested in interviewing you early. At the firm I SAd at, a competitive potential HLS hire took himself out of the running for a summer position entirely by sending repeated, annoying, entitled emails to firm lawyers (not recruiting) attempting to secure an early interview. Don't do that.

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:41 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:40 pm

Hi all, I have an upcoming appointment with OCS for bid list review, so would like to be the first one this year to post my draft list and receive advice for my draft list before the appointment.

Grades: 1DS/6H/3P
Resume: average K-JD; no past experience with corporate work
Interview skills: unknown, so I would just estimate I am an average-level interviewee
Target: NYC corporate

1. Latham & Watkins LLP
2. Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
3. S&C
4. Skadden
5. Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
6. Simpson Thacher
7. Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
8. sidley austin llp
9. White & Case LLP
10. Kirkland & Ellis LLP
11. Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
12. Paul, Weiss
13. Cleary
14. Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
15. Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
16. proskauer rose llp
17. Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP
18. Shearman & Sterling LLP
19. Jones Day
20. Allen & Overy LLP
21. Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
22. Ropes & Gray
23. Covington & Burling LLP
24. cooley llp
25. Clifford Chance US LLP
26. Morrison & Foerster LLP
27. paul hastings llp
28. Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
29. Willkie Farr
30. mayer brown llp
31. Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
32. Linklaters LLP
33. Goodwin
34. freshfields bruckhaus deringer LLP
35. Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
36. DLA Piper
37. Baker McKenzie
38. Hogan Lovells LLP

I bid an extra 3 because I reached out to some of the firms for pre-OCI interviews and might need to take some off the list if I get an interview before OCI.

Would appreciate any suggestions and thought from my fellow classmates and upperclassmen/women.

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all, I have an upcoming appointment with OCS for bid list review, so would like to be the first one this year to post my draft list and receive advice for my draft list before the appointment.

Grades: 1DS/6H/3P
Resume: average K-JD; no past experience with corporate work; leadership position in a journal and a student organization; HLEP member throughout the year (so I have sth to talk about corporate law); this summer working in an average internship with little relevance to corporate work
Target: NY corporate only; strong interest in international/cross-border work
Interview skills: unknown, so I would just estimate I am an average-level interviewee

1. Latham & Watkins LLP
2. Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
3. S&C
4. Skadden
5. Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
6. Simpson Thacher
7. Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
8. Sidley Austin LLP
9. White & Case LLP
10. Kirkland & Ellis LLP
11. Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
12. Paul, Weiss
13. Cleary
14. Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
15. Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
16. Proskauer Rose LLP
17. Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP
18. Shearman & Sterling LLP
19. Jones Day
20. Allen & Overy LLP
21. Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
22. Ropes & Gray
23. Covington & Burling LLP
24. Cooley LLP
25. Clifford Chance US LLP
26. Morrison & Foerster LLP
27. Paul Hastings LLP
28. Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
29. Willkie Farr
30. Mayer Brown LLP
31. Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
32. Linklaters LLP
33. Goodwin
34. Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP
35. Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
36. DLA Piper
37. Baker McKenzie
38. Hogan Lovells LLP

I bid an extra 3 because I reached out to some of the firms for pre-OCI interviews and might need to take some off the list if I get an interview before OCI.

Would appreciate any suggestions and thought from my fellow classmates and upperclassmen/women.

With those grades, you don't need to bid 35 firms. I have similar grades and I'm targeting DC lit (w/NY lit as a backup) and OCS said I only needed to bid 20 or so. You could probably drop everything from 20 down.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:43 pm

Thank you! That is very helpful advice. I read the threads from past years, and noticed this debate of not wasting any bidding v. not exhausting yourself with 30+ screeners. I might try to cut my list to <25. Any other advice besides that though?

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:With those grades, you don't need to bid 35 firms. I have similar grades and I'm targeting DC lit (w/NY lit as a backup) and OCS said I only needed to bid 20 or so. You could probably drop everything from 20 down.
It would only slightly be in jest for the poster to begin with assuming that he has a S&C offer, and then choose to interview at whichever firms he'd like on top of that (which in fairness, could be a very long list!).

ETA:
Anonymous User wrote:Thank you! That is very helpful advice. I read the threads from past years, and noticed this debate of not wasting any bidding v. not exhausting yourself with 30+ screeners. I might try to cut my list to <25. Any other advice besides that though?
"Not wasting any bidding" is advice that's only useful for people below median. If you're NY corporate, with those grades, in a pinch you'd be absolutely fine with 10 bids and taking 5 callbacks.
Last edited by lawlorbust on Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:17 pm

Along a similar line, I am wondering how many firms I should be bidding. I don't really want to do too many unnecessary screeners, but obviously that's not the biggest consideration. I am only targeting Boston and I am looking only at corporate/transactional work; I have no preference other than that and very little knowledge to distinguish among the Boston firms.
Grades: well into double-digit "equivalent" Hs
Resume: KJD, but have a 1L SA (in a different market, so I can't rely on that offer).
Interview skills: Likely at least average, as I got some 1L SA offers before grades came out (and outside of my grades my resume isn't anything exceptional in comparison with my classmates)

1. Ropes
2. Wilmer
3. Goodwin
4. Kirkland
5. Mintz Levin
6. Latham
7. Cooley
8. Holland & Knight
9. McDermott Will & Emery
10. Choate Hall
11. Weil
12. foley hoag
13. Proskauer
14. Skadden
15. Morgan Lewis
16. Dechert
17. Foley & Lardner
18. Gunderson Dettmer

Not a ton of rhyme or reason to the list/order, so it could be completely ridiculous (if so please let me know). I just put Boston's "Big 3" first to make sure I got interviews with them, then Kirkland, since I have no data from last year to know about bid:interview ratio, and then just sort of went in order of bid:interview ratio for the major firms with corporate sections (except the last two, which I am thinking about dropping from my bids). My major questions are:
1. Are there any firms that I have left off that you think I should add? (I may have just missed them or left them off for a misguided reason)
2. Any firms that I have on that I shouldn't? (don't have corporate/don't pay market/have terrible or toxic reputation/are somehow objectively worse than multiple other firms on the list)
3. Any suggestions about picking among the firms? At this point they are just a list of names to me, and given that I don't have a specific practice group desire the suggestion of looking at their relative PG strength doesn't give me much mileage.
4. Thoughts on dropping the last two? I couldn't really find much information about them, and as flawed as vault is, it's some of the only info I have to go by, so I really don't know why I would pick them over the other firms I have on here.

Thanks in advance for any advice/info you care to provide.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Along a similar line, I am wondering how many firms I should be bidding. I don't really want to do too many unnecessary screeners, but obviously that's not the biggest consideration. I am only targeting Boston and I am looking only at corporate/transactional work; I have no preference other than that and very little knowledge to distinguish among the Boston firms.
Resume: KJD, but have a 1L SA (in a different market, so I can't rely on that offer).
Interview skills: Likely at least average, as I got some 1L SA offers before grades came out (and outside of my grades my resume isn't anything exceptional in comparison with my classmates)

1. Ropes
2. Wilmer
3. Goodwin
4. Kirkland
5. Mintz Levin
6. Latham
7. Cooley
8. Holland & Knight
10. Choate Hall
11. Weil
12. Foley Hoag
13. Proskauer
14. Skadden
15. Morgan Lewis
16. Dechert
17. Foley & Lardner
18. Gunderson Dettmer

Not a ton of rhyme or reason to the list/order, so it could be completely ridiculous (if so please let me know). I just put Boston's "Big 3" first to make sure I got interviews with them, then Kirkland, since I have no data from last year to know about bid:interview ratio, and then just sort of went in order of bid:interview ratio for the major firms with corporate sections (except the last two, which I am thinking about dropping from my bids). My major questions are:
1. Are there any firms that I have left off that you think I should add? (I may have just missed them or left them off for a misguided reason)
2. Any firms that I have on that I shouldn't? (don't have corporate/don't pay market/have terrible or toxic reputation/are somehow objectively worse than multiple other firms on the list)
3. Any suggestions about picking among the firms? At this point they are just a list of names to me, and given that I don't have a specific practice group desire the suggestion of looking at their relative PG strength doesn't give me much mileage.
4. Thoughts on dropping the last two? I couldn't really find much information about them, and as flawed as vault is, it's some of the only info I have to go by, so I really don't know why I would pick them over the other firms I have on here.

Re: Dechert, http://abovethelaw.com/2017/05/dechert- ... he-future/. Not sure if it matters to you (it probably does given the political demographics of HLS), but Morgan Lewis does a ton of work for the Trump family and the Trump Organization.

I guess if you only want Boston corporate and there are only 18 Boston corporate firms, no reason why you shouldn't bid them all, but "well into double-digit Hs" is probably like the top 25 people in the class. You'll be fine.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Along a similar line, I am wondering how many firms I should be bidding. I don't really want to do too many unnecessary screeners, but obviously that's not the biggest consideration. I am only targeting Boston and I am looking only at corporate/transactional work; I have no preference other than that and very little knowledge to distinguish among the Boston firms.

1. Ropes
2. Wilmer
3. Goodwin
4. Kirkland
5. Mintz Levin
6. Latham
7. Cooley
8. Holland & Knight
10. Choate Hall
11. Weil
12. Foley Hoag
13. Proskauer
14. Skadden
15. Morgan Lewis
16. Dechert
17. Foley & Lardner
18. Gunderson Dettmer

Especially with your grades you can cut the bottom four. It's not worth interviewing somewhere you'd never realistically work. Unless you enjoy interviews

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:07 am

nothingtosee wrote:Especially with your grades you can cut the bottom four. It's not worth interviewing somewhere you'd never realistically work. Unless you enjoy interviews
Yes, but after reordering the list. Gunderson, Foley, and Morgan Lewis are real Boston firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:47 am

1DS/2H/7P
6+ years of work experience
Bidding exclusively in NY with a strong preference for litigation
Slightly above average interviewing skills
Any suggestion appreciated!
-----
1 Paul, Weiss
2 Covington & Burling
3 Davis Polk
4 Cleary Gottlieb
5 Hogan Lovells
6 Cravath
7 O’Melveny & Myers
8 Weil Gotshal
9 Debevoise
10 Skadden
11 Winston & Strawn
12 WilmerHale
13 Simpson Thacher
14 Holland & Knight
15 Linklaters
16 Freshfields
17 Akin Gump
18 White & Case
19 Shearman & Sterling
20 Mayer Brown
21 Orrick
22 Foley & Lardner
23 Norton Rose Fulbright
24 Jones Day
25 Milbank
26 Dechert
27 Kramer Levin
28 Clifford Chance
29 Allen & Overy
30 Morrison & Foerster
31 DLA Piper
32 Morgan Lewis
33 Willkie Farr
34 Wilson Sonsini
35 Alston & Bird

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1DS/2H/7P
6+ years of work experience
Bidding exclusively in NY with a strong preference for litigation
Slightly above average interviewing skills
Any suggestion appreciated!
-----
1 Paul, Weiss
2 Covington & Burling
3 Davis Polk
4 Cleary Gottlieb
5 Hogan Lovells
6 Cravath
7 O’Melveny & Myers
8 Weil Gotshal
9 Debevoise
10 Skadden
11 Winston & Strawn
12 WilmerHale
13 Simpson Thacher
14 Holland & Knight
15 Linklaters
16 Freshfields
17 Akin Gump
18 White & Case
19 Shearman & Sterling
20 Mayer Brown
21 Orrick
22 Foley & Lardner
23 Norton Rose Fulbright
24 Jones Day
25 Milbank
26 Dechert
27 Kramer Levin
28 Clifford Chance
29 Allen & Overy
30 Morrison & Foerster
31 DLA Piper
32 Morgan Lewis
33 Willkie Farr
34 Wilson Sonsini
35 Alston & Bird
Gibson should be on a list targetting NY lit that also includes Cravath, DPW, etc.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”