HLS EIP 2017

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 299695
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:10 pm

Joscellin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1DS/2H/7P
6+ years of work experience
Bidding exclusively in NY with a strong preference for litigation
Slightly above average interviewing skills
Any suggestion appreciated!
-----
1 Paul, Weiss
2 Covington & Burling
3 Davis Polk
4 Cleary Gottlieb
5 Hogan Lovells
6 Cravath
7 O’Melveny & Myers
8 Weil Gotshal
9 Debevoise
10 Skadden
11 Winston & Strawn
12 WilmerHale
13 Simpson Thacher
14 Holland & Knight
15 Linklaters
16 Freshfields
17 Akin Gump
18 White & Case
19 Shearman & Sterling
20 Mayer Brown
21 Orrick
22 Foley & Lardner
23 Norton Rose Fulbright
24 Jones Day
25 Milbank
26 Dechert
27 Kramer Levin
28 Clifford Chance
29 Allen & Overy
30 Morrison & Foerster
31 DLA Piper
32 Morgan Lewis
33 Willkie Farr
34 Wilson Sonsini
35 Alston & Bird


Gibson should be on a list targetting NY lit that also includes Cravath, DPW, etc.


100% agreed, but Gibson has a 5H grade cutoff. Assuming 1 DS = 2 H, OP has 4 Hs. Gibson's lit is way too good to not try though. Rank Gibson high enough to get an interview and with a strong interview plus your 6+ year work experience, you may be able to break in. Good luck!

Anonymous User
Posts: 299695
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Joscellin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1DS/2H/7P
6+ years of work experience
Bidding exclusively in NY with a strong preference for litigation
Slightly above average interviewing skills
Any suggestion appreciated!
-----
1 Paul, Weiss
2 Covington & Burling
3 Davis Polk
4 Cleary Gottlieb
5 Hogan Lovells
6 Cravath
7 O’Melveny & Myers
8 Weil Gotshal
9 Debevoise
10 Skadden
11 Winston & Strawn
12 WilmerHale
13 Simpson Thacher
14 Holland & Knight
15 Linklaters
16 Freshfields
17 Akin Gump
18 White & Case
19 Shearman & Sterling
20 Mayer Brown
21 Orrick
22 Foley & Lardner
23 Norton Rose Fulbright
24 Jones Day
25 Milbank
26 Dechert
27 Kramer Levin
28 Clifford Chance
29 Allen & Overy
30 Morrison & Foerster
31 DLA Piper
32 Morgan Lewis
33 Willkie Farr
34 Wilson Sonsini
35 Alston & Bird


Gibson should be on a list targetting NY lit that also includes Cravath, DPW, etc.


100% agreed, but Gibson has a 5H grade cutoff. Assuming 1 DS = 2 H, OP has 4 Hs. Gibson's lit is way too good to not try though. Rank Gibson high enough to get an interview and with a strong interview plus your 6+ year work experience, you may be able to break in. Good luck!


Thanks! I will add Gibsun in the list.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299695
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:56 am

Any thoughts about bidding all Boston from medianish with ties?

Anonymous User
Posts: 299695
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:31 am

QuentonCassidy wrote:Does anyone know anything about the Kirkland Boston office? I saw it on CSM and didn't think they had a Boston office. Checked their website and saw it is "starting in summer 2017." Any knowledge about it in particular or thoughts about offices that are just starting up in general?


Kirkland NY SA here.

Literally just opening. Kirkland's PE practice is growing really rapidly, and a lot of the big clients are in Boston (Bain comes to mind) so a few existing Kirkland partners are starting the Boston office. Honestly, a great opportunity -- will be a smaller office at first, lots of partner access, huge growth potential.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299695
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:11 pm

There are two bid options for Kirkland NY - one is "Kirkland NY Corporate" with an estimated 20 class slots, and one is Kirkland NY with 80 slots. Does choosing the latter mean Kirkland litigation only, or does it mean summers can be undecided/rotating? I'm only interested in doing corporate, but given the much fewer slots in the corporate option, I'm wondering if I'm decreasing my chances by not bidding the general option.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299695
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:58 am

How do we go about emailing firms that we didn't get (but bid) to see if they have time to schedule us for an interview? Do we email them all of our documents (i.e.: unofficial transcript, resume, writing sample)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 299695
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:55 pm

Winston Chicago callback. Interviewer initials CJ and JF.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299695
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:49 pm

Weil (KS) and Latham (SG), both Boston
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299695
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:58 pm

Latham Boston cb (MF)

Anonymous User
Posts: 299695
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:13 pm

Latham Boston CB

Anonymous User
Posts: 299695
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:15 pm

Latham Chicago CB (MS)

together41
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Postby together41 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:17 pm

Milbank NY (KG)- CB

Anonymous User
Posts: 299695
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:24 pm

Any Goodwin calls out yet?

together41
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Postby together41 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:27 pm

Any Goodwin NY, specifically CW?

Anonymous User
Posts: 299695
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any Goodwin calls out yet?


not sure which office you're asking about but Goodwin Boston cb at 9:00

Anonymous User
Posts: 299695
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:36 pm

Any Gibson NY?

Anonymous User
Posts: 299695
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:37 pm

To the Goodwin Bos CB: interviewer?

Anonymous User
Posts: 299695
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any Goodwin calls out yet?


not sure which office you're asking about but Goodwin Boston cb at 9:00


interviewer?

User avatar
radio1nowhere
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:01 pm

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Postby radio1nowhere » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There are two bid options for Kirkland NY - one is "Kirkland NY Corporate" with an estimated 20 class slots, and one is Kirkland NY with 80 slots. Does choosing the latter mean Kirkland litigation only, or does it mean summers can be undecided/rotating? I'm only interested in doing corporate, but given the much fewer slots in the corporate option, I'm wondering if I'm decreasing my chances by not bidding the general option.


It can't possibly mean 80 lit slots; Kirkland NY is a majority corporate office. I'd guess the 80 slots are open to anyone, and the firm just added 20 corporate-only slots to make sure they're getting a majority corporate class overall.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299695
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:09 pm

Latham NY CB

Anonymous User
Posts: 299695
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:10 pm

Winston DC callback (EP)

Anonymous User
Posts: 299695
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:22 pm

Any Cravath or Gibson Dunn New York?

Anonymous User
Posts: 299695
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any Goodwin calls out yet?


not sure which office you're asking about but Goodwin Boston cb at 9:00


interviewer?


ch

Anonymous User
Posts: 299695
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:30 pm

Milbank LA callback (TW)

Anonymous User
Posts: 299695
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:52 am

What about Milbank NY (AA)?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.