HLS EIP 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Rejected from White & Case NY. That was after going to their reception and hospitality suite, and (I thought) really hitting it off with my interviewer. 3 callbacks, 5 rejections, and silence from the rest. Still more Hs than callbacks, which is pretty dismal.
Isn't White and Case the one that had under "Employer Notes" something about you having to be on law review? That kind of made me hate them right there. There are legit reasons for some people to not be on law review; it's not all just didn't get picked / lazy.

I like you whoever you are OP Anon. I hope you get more callbacks (and/or offers from the places you've already gotten callbacks if those are your preferred firms). The five that rejected you aren't good enough for you anyway! <3
Thanks for the support; I could certainly use it. I'm on a journal, so I think that's enough for W&C, but who knows?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Rejected from White & Case NY. That was after going to their reception and hospitality suite, and (I thought) really hitting it off with my interviewer. 3 callbacks, 5 rejections, and silence from the rest. Still more Hs than callbacks, which is pretty dismal.
Isn't White and Case the one that had under "Employer Notes" something about you having to be on law review? That kind of made me hate them right there. There are legit reasons for some people to not be on law review; it's not all just didn't get picked / lazy.

I like you whoever you are OP Anon. I hope you get more callbacks (and/or offers from the places you've already gotten callbacks if those are your preferred firms). The five that rejected you aren't good enough for you anyway! <3
Thanks for the support; I could certainly use it. I'm on a journal, so I think that's enough for W&C, but who knows?
Well they are still stupid. I hope all your callbacks go well! <3 <3 <3

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:06 pm

Late to this but CBs from Pillsbury SF and Ropes SF same day as interviews. Rejects from Skadden LA, A&P SF, and Cooley SF.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:34 pm

Kirkland Chicago is doing callbacks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Debevoise DC CB (AJ). Patience pays :)
When did you interview? Did you send a follow-up email?
Friday, no follow up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:50 pm

Classmate was asked to submit a college transcript after a callback interview. I guess we should bring undergraduate transcripts to callbacks in case requested?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:05 pm

DPW DC ding (email), Fried Frank DC ding (email), Paul Weiss NYC ding (email)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Williams & Connolly cb
When? Phone/email? Interviewer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:28 pm

Can't tell for some firms if I'm on their back burner or they just prefer to convey rejection by ghosting me like a bad tinder date. Have people received actual rejections (either form email or personalized) from the following places?
Gibson DC
Williams & Connolly DC
Debevoise DC
Jones Day DC

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Any Proskauer offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:44 pm

Has anyone been dinged by Ropes D.C. or Morgan Lewis D.C.?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone been dinged by Ropes D.C. or Morgan Lewis D.C.?
Or SF/Boston?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:29 pm

OMM LA ding

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:43 pm

has anyone gotten a snail mail ding?
and...how soon after callbacks do firms make offers? I interviewed at a firm whose hiring committee meets daily, and no word (Friday callback). does this mean I'm either in a "hold" pile or a "reject" pile?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Late to this but CBs from Pillsbury SF and Ropes SF same day as interviews. Rejects from Skadden LA, A&P SF, and Cooley SF.
Do you have ties to Bay Area/LA? Above median grades?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has anyone gotten a snail mail ding?
and...how soon after callbacks do firms make offers? I interviewed at a firm whose hiring committee meets daily, and no word (Friday callback). does this mean I'm either in a "hold" pile or a "reject" pile?
I'd bet it has more to do with the size of their summer class. Firms with large classes can move quickly, while firms with smaller classes may take longer to meet more of the interviewees before extending offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I'd bet it has more to do with the size of their summer class. Firms with large classes can move quickly, while firms with smaller classes may take longer to meet more of the interviewees before extending offers.
How are we defining these terms? Is 12-15 big or small?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Late to this but CBs from Pillsbury SF and Ropes SF same day as interviews. Rejects from Skadden LA, A&P SF, and Cooley SF.
Do you have ties to Bay Area/LA? Above median grades?
My SO has ties; 2H 8P so no.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:26 am

Is anyone else feeling like a failure because of this process?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Not saying that the above isn't credited, but I got an offer immediately after the interview from a firm with a small (<5-10) summer class, so it is not set in stone. I think the biggest takeaway is that it will differ by firm and even within a firm will differ among candidates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:12 am

Anyone hear from Ropes Boston in the last couple of days? Last year they offered 46/55 screeners a callback.. Afraid #Iamthe9. :lol: :shock:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Hi anon - I'm sorry your week didn't go well. EIP really sucks. :(

One thing I was going to potentially suggest is - have you talked to OCS about telling the firms where you're called back that they're your top choice? I had a convo with them (regarding screener interviews) and they were like "that definitely helps, just don't say it to anyone else." I ended up getting a cb from that firm despite being arguably under qualified and striking out at other similar firms (and firms I thought were "safe" for me). Of course, don't say this if it isn't true, but it might be a good way to increase your chances of converting a cb to an offer.

In three callbacks, is there one that you particularly favor? Maybe OCS can work with you to come up with a polite/tactful way to make it clear in interviews (e.g. If you feel like the cb is going well, mention something like "if I were offered the opportunity to learn more about your firm/work for your firm next summer/etc. I would certainly take it, because I really love firm X").

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Not saying that the above isn't credited, but I got an offer immediately after the interview from a firm with a small (<5-10) summer class, so it is not set in stone. I think the biggest takeaway is that it will differ by firm and even within a firm will differ among candidates.
Fair. The places I interviewed take summer classes of 2-3 and 6. The place with 6 people explicitly told me they take at least a week to meet people before they start handing out offers, due to the small size of their class; the other place didn't say, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Ropes Boston in the last couple of days? Last year they offered 46/55 screeners a callback.. Afraid #Iamthe9. :lol: :shock:
Don't worry too much. They do not do everyone at once. I got my callback about a week after the first ones (some from my interviewer) started going out last year, and ended up with an offer. It has little to do with your strength as a candidate and a ton to do with their recruiting staff only having 24 hours in a day like all the other recruiters in Boston, but they're trying to fill a much bigger class.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Hi anon - I'm sorry your week didn't go well. EIP really sucks. :(

One thing I was going to potentially suggest is - have you talked to OCS about telling the firms where you're called back that they're your top choice? I had a convo with them (regarding screener interviews) and they were like "that definitely helps, just don't say it to anyone else." I ended up getting a cb from that firm despite being arguably under qualified and striking out at other similar firms (and firms I thought were "safe" for me). Of course, don't say this if it isn't true, but it might be a good way to increase your chances of converting a cb to an offer.

In three callbacks, is there one that you particularly favor? Maybe OCS can work with you to come up with a polite/tactful way to make it clear in interviews (e.g. If you feel like the cb is going well, mention something like "if I were offered the opportunity to learn more about your firm/work for your firm next summer/etc. I would certainly take it, because I really love firm X").
I definitely showed excitement for almost every firm I interviewed at. It worked at least once. I can definitely tell my CB firms that they're "in my top three." ;-)

Also, rejected yesterday from: WilmerHale, Kirkland, White & Case, Paul Weiss, and Simpson Thacher, all NYC.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”