HLS EIP 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:16 pm

7DS/3H

All interviews were for Boston, targeting a specific practice area within corporate

15 screeners
14 callback invitations
4 callbacks accepted (scheduled a couple more but cancelled after receiving first offer)
4 offers

ETA: KJD, strong interviewer
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:51 pm

Equivalent of 8 H, 3 years legal (public interest) work experience. Targeting DC/NY lit.

23 screeners
6 CBs (3 DC, 3 NY)
5 CBs taken (2 DC, 3 NY)
1 offer (NY V10)

Practice interviewing, especially if you have a background that doesn't scream "biglaw" or you're ambivalent about doing biglaw longterm. I basically assumed that with grades well above median and interesting work experience at HLS, I could sleepwalk into a fistful of offers, despite having no relevant background or compelling reason for why I wanted to work at a firm. As a result, I didn't do any practice interviews, and I think I came off as ambivalent and disinterested in interviews. Firms (correctly!) pegged me as someone who wanted to get a taste of biglaw and a big check before heading off to clerk and doing public interest/government, and that is not what firms want. I'm very happy with where I'm going, and it's a perfect place for what I want out of my summer, but I would have liked more options.

Of course, there's probably a point at which truly elite grades can compensate for literally anything. It's just not at 8 Hs, seemingly.

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:7DS/3H
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:51 pm

nothingtosee wrote:
If the rumors are correct, there were quite a few people with 7-8 DSes this year. Congrats, OP!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:
If the rumors are correct, there were quite a few people with 7-8 DSes this year. Congrats, OP!
"Quite a few" is an exaggeration, but the going rate for the Sears was 8 DSs this year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:
"Quite a few" is an exaggeration, but the going rate for the Sears was 8 DSs this year.
Jesus fuck...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:
Fair point. Counting this poster, I know of 4, which seemed absolutely insane to me, haha.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:39 am

3DS / 4H / 3P
Topical and substantive prior work experience
Experienced interviewer
NY lit focus

17 interviews
12 CB invitations
6 CBs
6 offers

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:34 pm

1DS/6H/3P

almost a KJD
mediocre interviewer
NYC corporate focus

30 screeners
10 CB Invitation
6 CB accepted
2 offers

Key takeway:
Practice your interview a lot during the summer;
Do reach out to recruiting/interviewer after interviews if you haven't heard anything for a while; it helps a lot for when one of my offers;
Working experience helps a lot (I guess there is nothing you can do to change this after law school starts)
8H equivalent is not a guarantee of CB/offer, even for firms that are known to rely heavily on grades (yes, S&C)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1DS/6H/3P

almost a KJD
mediocre interviewer
NYC corporate focus

30 screeners
10 CB Invitation
6 CB accepted
2 offers

Key takeway:
Practice your interview a lot during the summer;
Do reach out to recruiting/interviewer after interviews if you haven't heard anything for a while; it helps a lot for when one of my offers;
Working experience helps a lot (I guess there is nothing you can do to change this after law school starts)
8H equivalent is not a guarantee of CB/offer, even for firms that are known to rely heavily on grades (yes, S&C)
I agree with the gist, just wanted to add for future reference that s&c appears to have changed its recruiting strategy this year. In the past, they gave callbacks to virtually all students at/above their grade cutoff (~6H). That is no longer the case.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:34 pm

1 DS / 4H / 5 P
Kind of K-JD w/ irrelevant Graduate Degree in the middle
Exclusively NYC Corporate Focused in Specialty Group

22 Screeners
15 CB
8 Accepted
6 Offers
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:13 pm

1 DS/3H/6P

Split Boston and D.C. (though I interviewed much more heavily in Boston). STEM background (engineering), and IP eligible, though I focused more on general lit than on IP specifically. Solid interviewer.

Boston:
15 screeners
12 callbacks (9 accepted)
4 offers (took myself out of contention for a few others after receiving the one I wanted)
1 accepted :)

D.C.
10 screeners
2 callbacks
2 offers

My results were probably a bit of a testament to the differences between the two markets. D.C., as reported by many others, was very difficult for me as well. I am from D.C. and had bid it in case I struck out in Boston, which is where I wanted to be; instead, I nearly struck out in D.C., and did well in Boston.

On the other hand, while I had a much easier time navigating the Boston offer process (presumably the STEM background helps in this market), I had a harder time converting those callbacks to offers. Most of them were tiny offices that have 3-5 summers, and take a while to make decisions. Do not panic if you don't hear for a while - I heard from a couple of firms over a week after I interviewed with them.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

shao

New

Post by shao » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:30 am

Congratulations to everyone!
Your grades are amazing!
I wonder how (normal?) people with < 3 Hs are doing...
As a 1L, I feel I am more on this side...(눈_눈)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:50 am

shao wrote:Congratulations to everyone!
Your grades are amazing!
I wonder how (normal?) people with < 3 Hs are doing...
As a 1L, I feel I am more on this side...(눈_눈)
Anecdotal, but - I think it depends a lot on market and interview skills as well. I have one friend (IP eligible) who had 3Hs, so exactly median. Not sure how many screeners she did, but she ended up with at least 6 callbacks in D.C., and 6 offers. She also bid NY as a secondary market, and I think she did pretty well there; her feeling was that interview skills really helped her.

D.C. was pretty brutal this year, though. Bid exclusively at your own peril, no matter how good the grades.

Edit: also, you're a 1L! You have plenty of time! Don't worry yet. :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”