SA Firm Doesn't Have the Practice I Want Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SA Firm Doesn't Have the Practice I Want

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:19 pm

So after taking some corporate classes this past year, I decided I want to focus on transactional work. Unfortunately, the firm that I am at this summer for my associateship does not have this practice.

So, is it possible to accept an offer from my current firm at the end of the summer and then search for other firms with the practice area I desire? If so, what is the best way of doing this? My ethical gut tells me there is something inherently wrong with essentially shopping around firms after receiving/accepting an offer?

If this is an unacceptable process, the last thing I would want is to have word get back to my current firm about me interviewing elsewhere and losing out on my offer.

Any advice is appreciated in advance.

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Re: SA Firm Doesn't Have the Practice I Want

Post by Vincent Adultman » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:14 am

It is not unacceptable at all and a perfectly reasonable explanation for why you want to change firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:39 pm

I had the same issue last year. Wait until you get the offer before you start sending out materials, just in case word does get back to them. Usually they leave your offer open for a certain amount of time per NALP (last year I think I had like a month or two to respond). Instead of immediately accepting my offer, I told them I would get back to them ASAP and interviewed elsewhere at that point.

dylicious

New

Post by dylicious » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had the same issue last year. Wait until you get the offer before you start sending out materials, just in case word does get back to them. Usually they leave your offer open for a certain amount of time per NALP (last year I think I had like a month or two to respond). Instead of immediately accepting my offer, I told them I would get back to them ASAP and interviewed elsewhere at that point.
So you waited until like early August to even send resumes out? That seems pretty late, right?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had the same issue last year. Wait until you get the offer before you start sending out materials, just in case word does get back to them. Usually they leave your offer open for a certain amount of time per NALP (last year I think I had like a month or two to respond). Instead of immediately accepting my offer, I told them I would get back to them ASAP and interviewed elsewhere at that point.
How would you respond if firms question your lack of corporate/deal experience? How did you convince them that corporate was what you wanted for your career?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:10 am

OP here- So what happens if I don't field a new offer in the timespan given to accept my current firm's offer? Would you all advise me to inform my current firm of my intention to shop around or just do it discreetly and hope word doesn't get back to them?

I feel like this is a common occurrence but don't want my name blacklisted in the market before even beginning my career.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here- So what happens if I don't field a new offer in the timespan given to accept my current firm's offer? Would you all advise me to inform my current firm of my intention to shop around or just do it discreetly and hope word doesn't get back to them?

I feel like this is a common occurrence but don't want my name blacklisted in the market before even beginning my career.
No experience doing this, so definitely take w/ a grain of salt, but I think the way to go is to accept the offer then try and find another job. I wouldn't clue them in on any of your plans - graciously accept and go from there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:58 am

OP here:

What is the best way to go about keeping an offer open without accepting on the spot? It seems like it is the norm for the summers to accept as soon as they receive an offer, which occurs in person.

Would it be best to be blunt with the firm and tell them I will be seeking other job prospects in the meantime? Or just play it off that I need to mull it over before accepting for another b.s. reason?

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here:

What is the best way to go about keeping an offer open without accepting on the spot? It seems like it is the norm for the summers to accept as soon as they receive an offer, which occurs in person.

Would it be best to be blunt with the firm and tell them I will be seeking other job prospects in the meantime? Or just play it off that I need to mull it over before accepting for another b.s. reason?
NO. DO NOT TELL THEM THAT.

They are required to keep the offer open and you are not required to sign. Just don't sign it on the spot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:12 am

This also ignores the fact that signing is completely meaningless. Ask recruiting or HR if the document is binding, they'll tell you that it's not.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:41 am

Yes you can simply accept the offer and later renege, should you find a job you would prefer. This is perhaps frowned upon but you will not get in trouble. If you are at a firm that offers 50+ people, more than likely, the firm whose offer you renege on will forget about you in a week.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”