2017 Pre-OCI Interviews Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2017 Pre-OCI Interviews

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:37 am

I'm really unfamiliar work the process of going through emailing directly instead of oci. Are you guys just send resumes and cover letters to these recruiters?? Any insight would be appreciated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:42 am

For those who cb with DPW ny in the morning, the interview starts at 10:30 am right? Cannot find my notes for the interview information =(

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:55 am

Any 3Ls get bites from emailing/applying online yet? Or know what the 3L hiring timeline looks like?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:18 am

Any Nixon Peabody DC movement?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:24 am

Can anyone offer any insight into the timeline from being told the firm wants to interview you to actually getting the interview scheduled? At two places I've gotten the email offering me a screener and asking when I'm available and it's been 3 days and I still haven't heard back after sending my schedule.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:For those who cb with DPW ny in the morning, the interview starts at 10:30 am right? Cannot find my notes for the interview information =(
They offered me a 10:15 or 10:30 start time. Probably worth calling to confirm or showing up at 10:15 to be safe!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:38 am

Took almost a week for me with one firm. Don't read into it - they are trying to schedule, most likely, multiple interviews (coordinating with attorney schedules) while also dealing with OCI at multiple schools coming up fast. It is highly unlikely they would have reached out only to give you the cold shoulder. Wait a could more days then send a follow up email.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those who cb with DPW ny in the morning, the interview starts at 10:30 am right? Cannot find my notes for the interview information =(
They offered me a 10:15 or 10:30 start time. Probably worth calling to confirm or showing up at 10:15 to be safe!
Thanks a lot! I updated my resume by email but didn't get any response, I will just show up at 10:10. Good luck with your cb!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any 3Ls get bites from emailing/applying online yet? Or know what the 3L hiring timeline looks like?
Nothing here. It seems that firms have not started to consider 3Ls yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any Nixon Peabody DC movement?
got a courteous ding email yesterday, no screener.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm really unfamiliar work the process of going through emailing directly instead of oci. Are you guys just send resumes and cover letters to these recruiters?? Any insight would be appreciated.
Also curious.... Is this just mass mailing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm really unfamiliar work the process of going through emailing directly instead of oci. Are you guys just send resumes and cover letters to these recruiters?? Any insight would be appreciated.
For me it has been mostly mass mailing. However, the majority of hits I have gotten have been the result of making connections with attorneys that have then asked me to send my materials to them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Resume and transcript, I think cover letter is useless

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
For me it has been mostly mass mailing. However, the majority of hits I have gotten have been the result of making connections with attorneys that have then asked me to send my materials to them.
How exactly are you making these connections? By emailing almuni or meeting them personally?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Resume and transcript, I think cover letter is useless
Some people suggest putting the cover letter in the body of the email.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:35 pm

Attorneys honestly don't have the time of day to read through an entire cover letter when your resume and transcript are enough. The tl;dr of every cover letter is "I love your firm. Here are some things I did that you could see on my resume. Please love me and offer me an interview."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:46 pm

Ive sent a cover letter with every email, and the cover letter explicitly states my desired practice areas. For all the callbacks I have been asked by the contact recruiter what my desired practice areas are.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How exactly are you making these connections? By emailing almuni or meeting them personally?
A few were from sending "cold" emails to alumni but most were from firm receptions this summer. Sent follow up emails to basically every person I met at the reception and then set up coffee/lunch/whatever with the ones that responded.

lurker816

Bronze

Post by lurker816 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:22 pm

do we have a consensus on thank yous for callbacks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:38 pm

Is it too late to send direct applications to firms that will come to my school's OCI now(my school's oci starts on Aug 1st)? Wrote to a firm late last wk and received a response today saying that I should sign up for interviews during our OCI and they could help if I cannot secure an interview spot.

Or is it just a soft way to tell me that they are not interested in having pre-oci interviews with me?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:42 pm

lurker816 wrote:do we have a consensus on thank yous for callbacks

ugh i dunno. i always thought the consensus was none, but then someone above said to do it. I did it for one so far and got an offer, didn't do it for another and haven't heard back. i don't think that means anything, but now I'm doing them. I'm trying to make them as least boilerplate as possible, which is taking a while...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any Nixon Peabody DC movement?
got a courteous ding email yesterday, no screener.
Also looking to hear on this

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

ugh i dunno. i always thought the consensus was none, but then someone above said to do it. I did it for one so far and got an offer, didn't do it for another and haven't heard back. i don't think that means anything, but now I'm doing them. I'm trying to make them as least boilerplate as possible, which is taking a while...

Wrote thank you notes to a firm I haven't heard back from. Didn't write one to another, but got an offer. I just think do what feels right - if you made a connection, write one. If the email adds no value, don't write one.

Lithium94

New

Post by Lithium94 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Wrote thank you notes to a firm I haven't heard back from. Didn't write one to another, but got an offer. I just think do what feels right - if you made a connection, write one. If the email adds no value, don't write one.
Fellow Rising 2L, but FWIW I don't see any downside to writing thank yous - as long as they are typo-free. At best it helps a partner remember your conversation in advance of a hiring meeting and at worst they do a quick read and smile before pressing delete.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:48 pm

Anecdotal comment: took 4 callbacks last year, wrote thank you's to 3 firms and did not write a thank you to 1 firm. The only offer I received was from the firm I did not write a thank you for...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”