2017 Pre-OCI Interviews Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2017 Pre-OCI Interviews

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also, how extensively is this being done by HYS students? Are the HYS OCIs at as much risk as the other T13 OCIs?
H rising 2L in NY here. I'm not doing it, I haven't heard of anyone else doing it, and OCS told us not to do it. I know of someone from S who took a callback though.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:13 pm

grades?? wrote:
JuliusCaesar wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
grades?? wrote:This is the worst possible approach. A lot of places last year filled/ almost completely filled their classes before oci for nyc, DC, and la offices. This year offers have gone out even earlier than last year. You can ignore my advice, but at your own peril.
Can someone please name all these places that filled up pre-OCI? I don't understand why people are being so coy about this supposedly well-publicized fact, and I have yet to hear of vast swaths of students not getting callbacks at OCI.
Yea this person keeps parroting out this information yet conveniently doesn't name a single place that supposedly did that.
I have via pm to almost 20 people who have asked
But why via pm? If there are that many firms, surely making the list public wouldn't out you (to the extent that this would be "outing" anyone).

Also, to chime in with the H poster above, NYU didn't expressly say not to do it, but they really don't encourage it. I've never heard of anyone having trouble landing a top firm from our EIW.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:15 pm

Akin is NY office.

Bach-City

Bronze

Post by Bach-City » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:16 pm

Last edited by Bach-City on Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

CapKirk

New

Post by CapKirk » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:52 pm

Bach-City wrote:
grades?? wrote:
JuliusCaesar wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
grades?? wrote:This is the worst possible approach. A lot of places last year filled/ almost completely filled their classes before oci for nyc, DC, and la offices. This year offers have gone out even earlier than last year. You can ignore my advice, but at your own peril.
Can someone please name all these places that filled up pre-OCI? I don't understand why people are being so coy about this supposedly well-publicized fact, and I have yet to hear of vast swaths of students not getting callbacks at OCI.
Yea this person keeps parroting out this information yet conveniently doesn't name a single place that supposedly did that.
I have via pm to almost 20 people who have asked
Who you mind doing that for me as well? I'd be very appreciative.
For me too, por favor.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:37 pm

Ok, now I'm confused again about whether someone with below-median grades should MM. Should someone below median at CCN mass mail or stick to OCI?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ok, now I'm confused again about whether someone with below-median grades should MM. Should someone below median at CCN mass mail or stick to OCI?
Exact same question .

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:55 pm

What is the generally accepted advice for mass mailing if you are a 1L SA in a secondary market, but would be targeting firms in NY, Chi, LA, etc. When living in a different market, it seems like it would be a bit dicey to take time off at your summer firm to travel and interview at other firms. Is the credited response just to wait until OCI rolls around?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:04 pm

Skadden ding. About 2 days after screener.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:19 pm

Have any Skadden NYC CB folks had a ding? Two weeks out from the CB and radio silence. I'm assuming ding, I know offers for some have already gone out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ok, now I'm confused again about whether someone with below-median grades should MM. Should someone below median at CCN mass mail or stick to OCI?
Exact same question .
Exact same question.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Exact same question .
Exact same question.
You certainly should. I know 5-10 people last year who were median/below median and their only offers came from pre oci interviews. If they didn't mass mail, they would have all struck out because they all landed nothing from oci. So yeah, you should.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:33 am

To add to the list: Debevoise is also doing some callbacks (haven't heard of any offers yet)
ETA: NY office

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:33 pm

For anyone that has done pre-OCI with skadden, have you completed the pre callback "impact skills" survey?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:49 am

To those who have received/heard of offers from Simpson Thacher NYC, what was the turnaround time from CB -> offer? Been sitting for a little more than a week and just wondering.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:00 am

Cleary DC has been doing CBs

lebongenre

Bronze

Post by lebongenre » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:22 am

Hope everyone's MMs are going well! I'd be eternally grateful for an update or PM about pre-OCI movement in SoCal :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:29 am

Latham LA/SF callback.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:37 am

Any 3L screener/CB?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To those who have received/heard of offers from Simpson Thacher NYC, what was the turnaround time from CB -> offer? Been sitting for a little more than a week and just wondering.
I'm in the same position. I went in early last week and haven't heard yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To those who have received/heard of offers from Simpson Thacher NYC, what was the turnaround time from CB -> offer? Been sitting for a little more than a week and just wondering.
Me as well. They mentioned they were planning on moving slowly, and to not take it as bad news if I didn't hear anything until after OCI. No telling if that was real or a soft-pedal, but there it is.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:11 pm

Had a callback with Morgan Lewis in Houston a couple weeks ago but haven't heard anything yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Me as well. They mentioned they were planning on moving slowly, and to not take it as bad news if I didn't hear anything until after OCI. No telling if that was real or a soft-pedal, but there it is.
First Anon here- Wanted to double-check and see whether it was a soft ding or is actually legit. It seems like they are hesitant to make offers before seeing a larger applicant pool at OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
First Anon here- Wanted to double-check and see whether it was a soft ding or is actually legit. It seems like they are hesitant to make offers before seeing a larger applicant pool at OCI.
second anon. i don't think they said anything to me about waiting till after OCI, they just said it wouldn't be the normal OCI-Callback-style quick turn around (but maybe they did say after OCI, i dunno). there was another post in this thread that said there was an offer received from STB and that was 4-5 business days. in any case, it would seem odd to bring you in that early only to know they weren't gonna extend an offer to you until at least after OCI, so i don't think it'd be a ding, just something they tell everyone in one way or another.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
second anon. i don't think they said anything to me about waiting till after OCI, they just said it wouldn't be the normal OCI-Callback-style quick turn around (but maybe they did say after OCI, i dunno). there was another post in this thread that said there was an offer received from STB and that was 4-5 business days. in any case, it would seem odd to bring you in that early only to know they weren't gonna extend an offer to you until at least after OCI, so i don't think it'd be a ding, just something they tell everyone in one way or another.
my friend did pre oci last year with stb and got the offer after OCI
can I ask how long did it take from screener -> CB? thanks

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”