Leaving the law/non-law job offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Leaving the law/non-law job offer

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:21 pm

I've been working as an associate at a mid sized firm for a year out of LS. I'm generally happy at my firm, my pay is below market but hours are reasonable/1700.

I just got an offer however, from connections I had built in undergrad, in a non-law (entertainment) industry doing basically a dream job that has no connection whatsoever to the legal field. The pay is a little higher than what I'm making now too.

I'm conflicted on where to go. On one hand, I made this huge time and financial commitment to be a lawyer, I like being a lawyer, and the firm has taken a loss on me the last year training me so I'd feel like a dick just saying 'peace' after all this, and I have doubts I'll be able to find another firm job if I go down the non-law path and it doesn't work out.

On the other hand, I feel I'll be happier pursuing this other path.

I realize this is a very personal decision, but any wisdom/feedback would be appreciated on what path to take.

lavarman84

Platinum

Re: Leaving the law/non-law job offer

Post by lavarman84 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:28 pm

You have an opportunity to take a dream job that pays more? Do it, and don't look back. :lol:

jchiles

Silver

Post by jchiles » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:15 pm

I would be surprised if your firm actually lost money on you (and even if they did don't let that be a reason that factors into your decision)

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:43 pm

lavarman84 wrote:You have an opportunity to take a dream job that pays more? Do it, and don't look back. :lol:

ColonizeTheUniverse

New

Post by ColonizeTheUniverse » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:50 pm

It's a dream job, and it pays more. But

1. How likely it is gonna work out? Even if that's your dream job, don't be too optimistic. Sometimes you enjoy doing sth. as a dabbler, but once it becomes your full-time job, you start to hate it.

2. Is it a steady way to make money? Some of the jobs in entertainment industry are pretty unpredictable.

If your answer is not a resounding YES, then keep your current job.

(I'm slightly risk averse in terms of career options)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:the firm has taken a loss on me the last year training me so I'd feel like a dick just saying 'peace' after all this
Nope. Nope nope nope. Never base the trajectory of your career over whether or not you'll hurt the feelings of an organization that would cut you in a minute if it'd lead to a better bottom line.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:29 am

ColonizeTheUniverse wrote:It's a dream job, and it pays more. But

1. How likely it is gonna work out? Even if that's your dream job, don't be too optimistic. Sometimes you enjoy doing sth. as a dabbler, but once it becomes your full-time job, you start to hate it.

2. Is it a steady way to make money? Some of the jobs in entertainment industry are pretty unpredictable.

If your answer is not a resounding YES, then keep your current job.

(I'm slightly risk averse in terms of career options)
Slightly is an understatement. :wink:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:42 pm

OP: Thank you for the replies.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”