Anyone knows about Shotkin Zhang & Associates - NY? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Anyone knows about Shotkin Zhang & Associates - NY?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:18 pm

Honestly, I'm sure they know who I am by now. :?

I doubt they're really gonna take me to court, it's probably just a scare tactic. In reality, I'm not that worried. I'm just glad I'm no longer working there because the last straw was a disbarment type situation.

proleteriate

New

Post by proleteriate » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Honestly, I'm sure they know who I am by now. :?

I doubt they're really gonna take me to court, it's probably just a scare tactic. In reality, I'm not that worried. I'm just glad I'm no longer working there because the last straw was a disbarment type situation.
Why did u take this job? Everything screams the reddest of flags to me. What was the pay like?

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:22 pm

Did this firm come up in interviewing with subsequent firms? Is everyone there a citizen or is it kind of a harbor for those who need visas? I could see the latter facilitating the firm's taking advantage of its employees.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:51 pm

I highly doubt Tina browses TLS in that prison camp of a firm where they take your phone so Anon associate should be safe.

Thank you for the answers anon.

TooMuchTuna

Silver

Post by TooMuchTuna » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:28 pm

Thank you for answering my question about the chairs! My butt hurts just thinking about sitting on those for 12-hour days.

As another poster or two mentioned, I'm also curious to hear what the pay is like.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:56 pm

Why did I take this job? Because I'm poor and unemployed. Living in NYC by myself is tough. Especially when you've got law school loans stacking up along with rent, utility bills, and just the general cost of living.

And like I pointed out earlier, red flags didn't appear until I started the job.

I obviously didn't expect my first attorney job to be so shitty. Pay was very low but I like I stated, I needed money. But after this ordeal, I rather beg my parents for money than to work for a place where disbarment is a huge possibility.

Looking back, I should have been more picky and wary. Oh well, lesson learned.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:22 pm

people are just ragging you OP. i certainly don't think less of you for having worked there. a job's a job. hopefully that future jobs get better from here (pretty much has to).

how much was the pay?
are you an asian woman as well? are there any non-asian women that aren't the featured partners?
how long did you last/how long do ppl last?
where did they advertise?

omar1

Bronze

Post by omar1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:17 pm

At least you know it can't get any worse.

Skadidas

New

Post by Skadidas » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:48 pm

In my 3+ years of lurking, this is by far my favorite thread.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ecafracs

New

Post by ecafracs » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:01 am

According to google, the Shotkin guy is or use to be Of Counsel at Mintz & Fraade.

Google "Mintz & Fraade JDU" if you want to see an interesting thread...

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:21 am

ecafracs wrote:According to google, the Shotkin guy is or use to be Of Counsel at Mintz & Fraade.

Google "Mintz & Fraade JDU" if you want to see an interesting thread...
Link for the lazy: https://www.jdunderground.com/all/threa ... adId=19383

unicorntamer666

New

Post by unicorntamer666 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:51 am

this thread is a good thread.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:35 pm

Wow, I somehow stumbled on this post and am glad someone else posted about their horrendous experience because I, too, was once unemployed and broke and worked there.

Pretty much everything the previous Anonymous user posted is true.
When I was there, they didn't let me talk to other associates because technically we are all "competing" each other for clients/cases.
I've never seen anyone else other than Shotkin and he came to the office maybe once or twice a week.

My supervisor was not an attorney but I actually did not know until I started to put things together. So they act as if they are attorneys.

I wanted to report them but did not because of the same reasons as Anonymous mentioned.

I still see their job postings around. I hope nobody else falls into the same trap.
They also go by several other law firm names but usually "Shotkin" is the common denominator.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

omar1

Bronze

Post by omar1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wow, I somehow stumbled on this post and am glad someone else posted about their horrendous experience because I, too, was once unemployed and broke and worked there.

Pretty much everything the previous Anonymous user posted is true.
When I was there, they didn't let me talk to other associates because technically we are all "competing" each other for clients/cases.
I've never seen anyone else other than Shotkin and he came to the office maybe once or twice a week.

My supervisor was not an attorney but I actually did not know until I started to put things together. So they act as if they are attorneys.

I wanted to report them but did not because of the same reasons as Anonymous mentioned.

I still see their job postings around. I hope nobody else falls into the same trap.
They also go by several other law firm names but usually "Shotkin" is the common denominator.
Any interesting stories to share? How was the pay? This thread was amazing so hopefully it can come back from the dead thanks to you :D

hugerez

New

Post by hugerez » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:32 pm

This is fucking gold.

hugerez

New

Post by hugerez » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:28 am

foregetaboutdre wrote:Their youtube video is a MUST WATCH. Especially when the older partners speak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BajXt55TrSA
Holy shit one of the girls speaks Korean. Wtf.
Last edited by QContinuum on Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

nerd1

Bronze

Post by nerd1 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
foregetaboutdre wrote:Their youtube video is a MUST WATCH. Especially when the older partners speak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BajXt55TrSA
Holy shit one of the girls speaks Korean. Wtf.
I am pretty sure she's Chinese though. A lot of Chinese people these days are learning Korean
Last edited by QContinuum on Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:18 am

The pay was horrendous. They pay you as IC as mentioned before. You get somewhat of a "base salary" and get compensated based on the work you do/cases you work on. I worked there a few months (which felt like eternity) and looking back, I don't know how I survived. Desperate times call for desperate measures though.

I just thought it was really weird that they didn't want you talking to other attorneys. Even if you engage in small talk, they come to you and say "remember, no talking with other associates".

They have this boss guy (older chinese man) come to the office few times a week and he seems to be the one running everything.

When I was looking for an apartment, they showed me a few apartments saying it was their "friend's" apartment but I think it was another one of the many businesses they ran.

Even on my last day of work, they tried to give me work to do 5 minutes before I was about to leave. Yeah.. not happening.

The girl in the video is Korean and she speaks fluent Chinese.

Leviathan1

New

Post by Leviathan1 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:26 pm

Oh god. Why would anyone even consider here... it's like a random firm on the street of Beijing poached next to a courthouse, doing random litigation and collecting debt with gangs...
Last edited by QContinuum on Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aptitude

New

Post by Aptitude » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Oh god. Why would anyone even consider here... it's like a random firm on the street of Beijing poached next to a courthouse, doing random litigation and collecting debt with gangs...
A person working at any firm in Beijing is probably a lot smarter than someone working at a DC firm. It’s far harder to get into university in China than in the US. Also, the competition far exceeds the US with the Chinese having much higher math/science/reading levels at the same ages, especially those out of the Hong Kong or Macau systems. Peking University and Tsinghua's admission standards make schools like Harvard or Stanford look like a joke.

You’d have to be brilliant if you were working at a Beijing firm that represented Chinese gangs. Chinese gang members, especially ones with international ties tend to very educated and white collar https://torontolife.com/city/crime/breaking-brian-shin/
Last edited by QContinuum on Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

redsox550

Post by redsox550 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:06 pm

Ok this thread and all threads linked in this thread is my guilty pleasure and the GOAT of all TLS threads. Sounds like a few steps away from something from 1984. Does though make me feel very grateful for the firm I'm at now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:15 am

Tina is married and has a child. She was one of the few who were nice. New attorneys/grads worked there because they had no other options. Those who stayed... probably have no other choice but to continue working there.. except for those women in charge of the place.

If I had known what this firm was like when I first interviewed there, I would have just changed careers, gone back to school, anything but work at this place.

There were other non-Asian male attorneys there when I was there. Some did work, some did not. Felt really bad for Shotkin though. At his age, he should be enjoying retirement, but instead... life caused him to have to find work at this firm. He is very knowledgeable and knows his stuff, but was more like a figurehead there.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Oh god. Why would anyone even consider here... it's like a random firm on the street of Beijing poached next to a courthouse, doing random litigation and collecting debt with gangs...
A person working at any firm in Beijing is probably a lot smarter than someone working at a DC firm. It’s far harder to get into university in China than in the US. Also, the competition far exceeds the US with the Chinese having much higher math/science/reading levels at the same ages, especially those out of the Hong Kong or Macau systems. Peking University and Tsinghua's admission standards make schools like Harvard or Stanford look like a joke.

You’d have to be brilliant if you were working at a Beijing firm that represented Chinese gangs. Chinese gang members, especially ones with international ties tend to very educated and white collar https://torontolife.com/city/crime/breaking-brian-shin/
lol who knew xi jinping posted on tls

malibustacy

Bronze

Post by malibustacy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:35 am

Please tell us more details. This is one of my favorite threads on TLS.

Aptitude

New

Post by Aptitude » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:18 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

lol who knew xi jinping posted on tls
lol like you'd last academically in China.
Last edited by QContinuum on Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”