DC Firms? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DC Firms?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:05 pm

Looking for some advice on what, if any, DC firms I could target due to fiance's relocation to the area. I'm already licensed there and my law school's state, but don't have the usual additional VA/MD bar combo.

Beginning a D.Ct. clerkship in 2018 in the Midwest; Completed a SSC clerkship with a year at a mid-sized firm in my law school's market (left b/c of bad culture in a practice group I wasn't thrilled about; took job because that's what the market gave me) and have three years of legal research experience in another field for better money, but not what I want long term. Graduated from a T2 somewhere between top 1/3 and top 20%; editorial board position on secondary journal; school and national moot court wins. Would prefer fed gov't work, but know that is likely unrealistic. Just wanted to see if there are any bigger firms out there I might target with less competitive stats, pedigree, etc. where I could concentrate my efforts. I know D.C. is a small market compared to NYC etc. Just trying to gauge what my options are.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

grades??

Silver

Re: DC Firms?

Post by grades?? » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:13 pm

Good luck. Traditionally, DC is the most competitive market to land. Top 20% at t13 kids strike out at DC all the time. Dont not try, but it will be pretty unlikely to snag a traditional big law gig in DC. Best of luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:27 pm

grades?? wrote:Good luck. Traditionally, DC is the most competitive market to land. Top 20% at t13 kids strike out at DC all the time. Dont not try, but it will be pretty unlikely to snag a traditional big law gig in DC. Best of luck.
Figured as much. I'll brace for striking out then.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
grades?? wrote:Good luck. Traditionally, DC is the most competitive market to land. Top 20% at t13 kids strike out at DC all the time. Dont not try, but it will be pretty unlikely to snag a traditional big law gig in DC. Best of luck.
Figured as much. I'll brace for striking out then.
I would just hustle hard. But cast a wide net because biglaw is not likely.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:13 pm

Can someone educate me? Why would federal government work be unrealistic for OP, as they stated in their post? Are federal D.C. Jobs impossible to get or something?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can someone educate me? Why would federal government work be unrealistic for OP, as they stated in their post? Are federal D.C. Jobs impossible to get or something?
I mean maybe not in this administration because they are desperate to fill lots of jobs, but generally DC fed gov jobs are near impossible to get.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:34 pm

grades?? wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can someone educate me? Why would federal government work be unrealistic for OP, as they stated in their post? Are federal D.C. Jobs impossible to get or something?
I mean maybe not in this administration because they are desperate to fill lots of jobs, but generally DC fed gov jobs are near impossible to get.

Oh okay, I've never heard that before. I peruse USA jobs for fun sometimes and there are a ton of federal positions available in the D.C. area.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:18 am

grades?? wrote:
This isn't necessarily true for attorneys because so few want to become feds in DC (the pay sucks for attorneys).
My concern with entering federal workforce would be the instability. I lived through shut downs and furloughs and am so relieved to have that behind me. It's not always better in the private sector, but being at the mercy of congress and an insane oompa loompa makes it very unattractive to many.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”